Just need a reasonable daily fee option to hunt good wild bird habitat.

Brad6260

Don't need a guide, dogs, lodging or lunch made for me.
I'm just looking for good Private wild bird habitat in November that's not been over hunted and can be daily leased by a couple of safe , respectful, experienced hunters for a reasonable daily fee.

In other word I need a landowner that's glad to pocket a couple hundred a day without experiencing any issues or hassles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I went to SoDak the 2nd week of November last year and easily could have doubled my limit every and so could've the guy I was hunting with. We hunted all public land. Most likely what you're looking for is going to be hard to find. Lots of guys will pay those same farmers more money to hunt their land all the way up til you guys get there. Try public land, lots of birds to be had!

FWIW, we walked Public land for hours on a 6-day hunt last year and didn't come anywhere near a 1-day or 5 day possesion limit.
We are joining the U-Guide fraternity this year.

hunt public for 2 or three days and be sure to eat breakfast at the same cafe each day. Find one in a small town talk to the people drink coffee with them and take your time. My experience is most of them like to here how your hunting is going. Morning number 3 if your striking out on public ask the people at the cafe about pay to play hunting. If they don't have property of offer you they will know someone who does. Don't mention money or how much they would want to get paid just get to know the people a little. Small areas most of the time will have the same old timers in for coffee at the same time almost every day and they get tired of talking the same old stuff with one another and like to talk to new people. Be nice and take your time you could end up with the hunt of a life time and maybe a new friend too

Carpfisher we have been hunting uguides properties for 5 or 6 years. The work he has put into pheasant camp is remarkable. Just got better every year. You will get a map of the property and a tour by the landowner. Be prepared to work hard and have a good game plan. These are all wild birds and after about the forth week they get pretty smart. Good luck you won't be sorry

Chip,
Yep, we are looking fwd to the new hunt. We have wk 4 reservations at Cattail haven. One of the smaller places to get out feet wet for the 1st time.
We'll have 2 "brand new" dogs and couple of veterans, Labbs, ES, GSP, and a Springer. We are also going to apply for Duck permits to take advantage of the pothole duck hunting.

We are already geeked up and ready to go!

We hunted cattail several years ago and did well. He has put a lot of work in the property since then. Should be good for you. We will be hunting week 4 at pheasant camp. So we will be right across the street from you. Make sure you push some birds over to us.

CarpFisher/Chip,

just finished planting food plots at PCL this evening. Saw first broods tonight. Did not get a good count on first one as I was very surprised to see this early and the 2nd one had at least 8. They are small. Pre-flyers. Very encouraged. Cover is excellent across the road at Cattail and the hatch should be good considering the quality of habitat on both properties. 80 degree highs and 60 degree nights came just in time.

eh-haa! Can't wait to see the place. thanks for the update!

We have considered this. As I said in a post above, we have done DIY hunts for the past few years around FPNGL and points north / west of Pierre. We stayed in West Whitlock State Park and except for the past 2 years did pretty well. One of the selling points for the cattail camp is that it is less driving from Indiana. Looking at the Walk in Map book, there doesn't appear to be any public land around the camp.
We are certainly interested in extending the hunt but I can't see much oppurtunity in the general area. If we were to try and hit our our known points, its too far for a reasonable day trip. If you have some suggestions, I am all ears! :)

Yesterday was food plot planting day for me to as I installed 6 plots in two different places--tell ya things are looking good so far. Some pictures from yesterday. :D

SDJim looks great. Do you need any friends?:D
Carpfisher looks like there is quite a bit of WIA west if the river from where you are staying. Not to bad a drive, cross the the river in Pickstown.

CF, You have fed. property just south of where you are staying. My group, 1/2 of which are from South Bend usually get to camp on Thursday early enough to do a little road hunting Thurs night. We usually do pretty good and it is fun.

I looked at the WILMA map and there are some sizable chunks of walk-in. I'm going to survey the Team and see what they want to do.

Thanks to Chip ands HW for the info!

I just looked at the weather report for SD and it looks like they have flood warnings out for Faulk and Hand counties. Can any one give me an update on that area... I was just worried about the chicks, as I hunt there in November ... Uquide I know you have a camp here Faulkton, maybe you can give me an update thanks for any info!!!!

lab man

I just looked at the weather report for SD and it looks like they have flood warnings out for Faulk and Hand counties. Can any one give me an update on that area... I was just worried about the chicks, as I hunt there in November ... Uquide I know you have a camp here Faulkton, maybe you can give me an update thanks for any info!!!!

lab man

It just depends on where you are. Straight north of Miller about half way to hwy 212 got it real hard last night. Like maybe 6 inches or more and I would assume that could include some hail. From there back towards Pierre there is a fair sized band that got a little less than that. In Faulk county around the Cresbard area got the most around 4 inches. We did not get any last night but 15 miles east of us had 4 inches. We are getting a nice shower now. I hope that helps.

Thank you haymaker, I was afraid of that. I hunt in the area where they had the 6 inches of rain. Sure hope it all works out in the end. lab man

lab man

enter in a search engine cocorahs (or go to www.cocorahs.org)---click on the state you want to view from the national map and then on the left side click on daily reports you want--these are reports from people in the program using high quality 4 inch rain gages readable to .01 inch. The reports are in miles and direction from the nearest town and have the county listed also.

Hope this helps :D

Back