Just got back

festeraeb

Hunted out of the Chamberlan area. Had a few rough days looking for the birds. However once we found them we had decent hunting. My dog got into sand burrs the first day and that took its toll. Look for the wia where the crops are already off and you should do well. One day we moved 30 plus birds by noon. 12 of which were roosters. Saw a few chickens but they flushed way out front. Also I was surprised how far they were running. Our dogs tracked a wounded bird 1.5 miles before pinning it down. The only day they held tight was a foggy drizzling morning.

We will be hunting out of Chamberlain in a week from now. Can you give me any tips on what direction/where you found the birds? I'd appreciate it.

Just got home!!!

Dog is resting on new dog bed wife bought while we were gone. Here it is, hunted 5 days near Pierre, all private land, birds are definitely down. Spoke with friends and family and they said that the area received 2 major hail storms which wiped out birds. Had 20 people in our group most days and never filled, would say we averaged 1.5 birds per person per day, hunted some premier habitat. Side note, found 20-30 dead deer. Something they call "Blue tongue " going to do some research. Now back to hitting it hard in minnesota.

We found 4 dead deer in Pierre are too. We must have been out of jail area as our birds were up compared to last year.

Blue tongue is spread from gnats that fly up deer nostrils. When rain is down more gnats congregated in small watering areas. and more blue tongue. It's a shame to see all those dead deer.

We found four dead deer near Ipswich. We just assumed that they had been hit by cars and made it into the field to die but Blue Tongue actually makes more sense.

We saw some carcasses and the healthiest white trail buck I have ever seen jump out of the watering hole 20 yards from us its body was massive and had a boon and crocket rack.

I hunted north of piere next to private land that was developed to hold birds. I saw 50-60 birds cross over into that land and settle in the Cover. The rapture kills near there were impressive. We saw 6 roosters and a few hens in the few hours we walked that terrain. We then hunted some public land the next 2 days around Pesho. We moved 30 plus birds and could have limited if we were shooting better on one of the days (5 guys) and hunted near the same area th following day and the birds weren't holding as tight but still moved 20 birds that day. This was also taking midday breaks as it was very warm for the dogs. 70 plus degrees everyday.

We found 4 dead deer in Pierre are too. We must have been out of jail area as our birds were up compared to last year.

Blue tongue is spread from gnats that fly up deer nostrils. When rain is down more gnats congregated in small watering areas. and more blue tongue. It's a shame to see all those dead deer.

It really is sad. There was an outbreak in SW ND a few years ago. There were dead deer around many water holes. Apparently it makes them seek water.

Jerry

Deer and pheasants

We had a breakout of bluetongue here in southern Wisconsin a couple years ago.
Hit hard in river bottom areas. Just got back from ten day hunt out there.
Started in Gettysburg area with a good group for the first
four days. Really dry and warm for the dogs. We hunted all public and
did pretty well. They all went home and I stayed out alone. Worked my way
down to Miller and up and east to Webster area. Stayed at Lynn Lake
Lodge for a few nights. Geez, what a great place. A lot of pressure on public up there but I still managed birds
every day. Brought the kayak along and
caught walleye pretty easily. Quite an area if you've never been there.
Floods in the early 90s created lakes all over the area. Fencelines, machinery
and buildings below the surface, as well as roads deadending
all over. Last day spent at some favorite haunts right along the SD-MN
border. Did pretty well in that area. Two good things from this trip. My dog started retrieving very solidly at 4.5 years finally, and I'm slowly starting to get my head out of my rear and putting that shotstring out in front of those darn things. Always room for improvement, but didn't miss many this trip. Leave in a week for another 10 days. Hopefully less pressure and colder weather this time.

Back