Just a little pumpkin!

KBell

My son's harvest from shotgun one season yesterday. This deer came from public land. We are in NW Iowa and the antlered only seasons have finally made an impact!:)

We had a previous bow-kill buck so meat was not the issue. We set out to harvest trophy bucks. I had numerous does and 4 to 6 to 8 point basket rack bucks in "kill zone" over our four days. Glorious weather also. I cannot complain about the opportunities this year to harvest a deer and that has been awhile coming here in the Northwest corner.

What I wished to share was the "odd" places we were jumping only Ralphie Ringneck.:) In the middle and edges of picked corn fields. On the edges of soybean fields--most had been put to disc. We jumped birds out of the deeper furrows. Finally, in the grass surrounding the swine confinement units.:eek: This last one is a new one for me in my experiences and I felt it had to do with the height of the grasses-no mowing since September and the warmer weather we are experiencing. This happened four times so I do not believe it is a fluke.

PC080060_zps8fmrsrga.jpg.html

Sophie and I will be back after the birds this week and intend to focus on some of the areas we "discovered" during deer season. Always amazed how I continue to learn new things.
PC080060_zps8fmrsrga.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice !!!!

That's one of the biggest public land deer I have seen congrats !!!

One of my deer hunters discovered a timber covey that I didn't know about , how fun to discover new honey holes, half the fun is the exploring new places

KBell - My apologies, I tried to edit your post to embed the pics, but I broke something along the way. Don't have access to photobucket at work, so will replace your links when I get home, unless you can edit them back in first.

Sorry

That is a beautiful buck, public or private land. Congrats to your boy! And, nice to get a little rooster schooling while you were at it.

Back