January Report

When I start this conversation my wife interrupts and says "when you leaving?".......I'm not sure if she just doesnt want me around or i'm lucky, maybe a little of both, oh yeah she usually gives me her Xmas bonus for my trips too!
Wow she's a keeper.

You and I both. 😉
I just got back from 4 days of hunting the central part of the state. There are birds around but a lot of the better areas are impossible to get to. The birds you get are hard earned and you will definitely put a lot of effort into getting to the good areas. With that said it’s still nice to get the dogs out .

Attachments

• EB061546-038B-4F2C-867F-1A781D5C7EAE.jpeg
    EB061546-038B-4F2C-867F-1A781D5C7EAE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 99C8F7DA-68F5-4A60-ACA6-C4285C0BE42E.jpeg
    99C8F7DA-68F5-4A60-ACA6-C4285C0BE42E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Hunted central section of the state from Jan 17-21. If I had to give any suggestions, I’d say use the snow depth map!!!! It was remarkably accurate and the difference between hunting in2-4, 4-8 inches vs 8-12 was remarkable. I don’t know why, but it seems like my shooting gets worse as the year goes on. But we had our opportunities on almost all days and came back with half limits. About 2/3 of the public areas we tried were impossible to get close to as the drifting can happen overnight, so access is aided with snow shoes, however that makes your dog work hard for 1/2 mile prior to even getting to the X on the map (and don’t forget that ya gotta get him back). So the cattails next to main roads are the best choices.
It’s tough, However, we saw thousands of birds, had a great time, worked hard for some great opportunities and came back with a new pup!
(FYI That cemetery tree row below was on the boarder of a CREP plot. WPA’s are more productive with this snow but some CREP had small cattail pockets).

Attachments

• 3B0EB1D0-5F88-48DE-959C-D024BA694ABD.jpeg
    3B0EB1D0-5F88-48DE-959C-D024BA694ABD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 16D4C106-F415-4740-8BA8-BA05183657D6.jpeg
    16D4C106-F415-4740-8BA8-BA05183657D6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Yes, the small tree line in the background was on the boarder of a CREP. We flushed a few birds into it while hunting a cattail patch and they flushed out of it when we got close and the dog went into it to get the bird. That Ol’ dog was dragging bad by the time we got to that point, but he got a burst of energy when that rooster dropped. South Dakota is the only state I’ve had a rooster retrieved out of water and now the only time one dropped at the edge of a cemetery. However, I deleted that pic in case it’s unsettling to someone.

However, I deleted that pic in case it’s unsettling to someone.
I wasn't bothered by it, I just have never seen it before. The other issue could be that its private land that you may or may not have permission to be on, but that's your business, not mine.

I wasn't bothered by it, I just have never seen it before. The other issue could be that its private land that you may or may not have permission to be on, but that's your business, not mi
I wasn't bothered by it, I just have never seen it before. The other issue could be that its private land that you may or may not have permission to be on, but that's your business, not mine.
Read my post more carefully I suppose, shot from public. Retrieved from private. All on up and up

Hunted central section of the state from Jan 17-21. If I had to give any suggestions, I’d say use the snow depth map!!!! It was remarkably accurate and the difference between hunting in2-4, 4-8 inches vs 8-12 was remarkable. I don’t know why, but it seems like my shooting gets worse as the year goes on. But we had our opportunities on almost all days and came back with half limits. About 2/3 of the public areas we tried were impossible to get close to as the drifting can happen overnight, so access is aided with snow shoes, however that makes your dog work hard for 1/2 mile prior to even getting to the X on the map (and don’t forget that ya gotta get him back). So the cattails next to main roads are the best choices.
It’s tough, However, we saw thousands of birds, had a great time, worked hard for some great opportunities and came back with a new pup!
(FYI That cemetery tree row below was on the boarder of a CREP plot. WPA’s are more productive with this snow but some CREP had small cattail pockets).

My shooting percentage drops later in the year, mostly because I've got a couple layers on, birds are stronger/faster and, most importantly, it's tough to get my feet set properly in the cattails when a rooster flushes and plots his course for a quick escape. If you need more excuses, just let me know, I've got a very comprehensive list :)

While I don't like to miss, it doesn't bother me too much. I buy shells to shoot them and I trust my dog to find another rooster when I do whiff.

My shooting percentage drops later in the year, mostly because I've got a couple layers on, birds are stronger/faster and, most importantly, it's tough to get my feet set properly in the cattails when a rooster flushes and plots his course for a quick escape. If you need more excuses, just let me know, I've got a very comprehensive list :)

While I don't like to miss, it doesn't bother me too much. I buy shells to shoot them and I trust my dog to find another rooster when I do whiff.
Thanks, I’ll use each and every one of those excuses! 😜
I don’t mind missing waterfowl because I can hunt them a few mini from home. However, when one has to drive a minimum of 6hrs to eastern CO and 12 when I come to SD, the misses seem to start getting to me on day 3-5 😉

In my experience personally and in my group, we shoot better on the front end of a 10 day license than on the back end.

I think fatigue plays a role. When we are fresh on the scene and eager to start the season we focus in better and swing the shotguns better.

After a week of tromping the fields and getting a bit less sleep each nite, focus and swing seem to degrade. My two cents.

Back