Izaak Walton League

haymaker

This is a little unusual for me as I am rather private. Last week I was presented with the Izaak Walton League Wildlife Habitat Award. Three people were awarded this award in South Dakota. This is gratifying and the reason that I mention it is that this probably would not have happened if I was not involved in the hunting business. This fits the ongoing discussion about hunting as a business. If this place was wall to wall corn and beans it would not have happened.

Good for you, Haymaker your 1 of the guys that makes South Dakota a great place to visit and hunt pheasants. My favorite place to go see the landscape run the dog make memories and keep Remmington in business

Great work! Now shoo some of those pheasants down my way!!:ROFLMAO: No, I have plenty.
You mentioned in another post the range of "pay-to-play" hunting operations. While a landowner can do what he wants with his land, I think there's a difference between what's "good for hunting" & what's "good for pheasants". Anyone creating pheasant habitat, (almost) regardless of how it's used, in my mind, is doing something "good for pheasants". I don't find that nearly as political/subjective as what's "good for hunting".

Great work! Now shoo some of those pheasants down my way!!:ROFLMAO: No, I have plenty.
You mentioned in another post the range of "pay-to-play" hunting operations. While a landowner can do what he wants with his land, I think there's a difference between what's "good for hunting" & what's "good for pheasants". Anyone creating pheasant habitat, (almost) regardless of how it's used, in my mind, is doing something "good for pheasants". I don't find that nearly as political/subjective as what's "good for hunting".
Long before I got in the business, like when I was a kid, I decided that this was going to be wildlife paradise. It goes back to books written by Thorton W. Burgess, in case anyone else knows what they are. Having habitat benefits all wildlife not just pheasants. We are Audubon certified. We had the habitat before the business. We probably produce more waterfowl than anything.

Congratulations! I'm glad that we have producers like you who value wildlife, and I support your right to monetize what you've built. For many years I've thought that wild pheasant hunting in Kansas would benefit from a little more commercialization. This is doubly true in an environment/climate where economically viable farming methods don't produce usable pheasant habitat. If something has no value (like a wild pheasant), we can't expect producers to put much effort into producing them.

Thank you for all the kind comments. It is nice to be recognized for what has been a lifetime project. The greatest reward is being able to live here and do what I get to do. It has been an honor to be able plan the habitat, plant the trees and decide where the cover crops are going to be. It is about more than pheasants and ducks. It is about the soil and the water and everything else that I am a steward of. Thanks again.

Back