It's a long shot... Mitchell and Osbourn Co

Ringn3ck

Well with the continued decline in bird numbers over the years the group of guys I have hunted with over the last 20 years around Glen Elder lake has also declined.

Our group this year is looking like only 4-6 guys with a couple dogs. We have always hunted mostly public hunting and many years before the draught with success.

Just trying to find out if anyone would have any leads on land that could possibly be leased for opening weekend? I know it around the corner but I'm just trying to find somewhere that may be holding a fee more birds.

:cheers:

go to SD if you want to pay to hunt!

Honestly, I would prefer not to buy! I'm simply offering that as a good gesture to show that I'm serious.

I don't know about you but I dont have the big money to put up a guided or an outfitter.

Just looking to keep the tradition alive and keep guys interested in going with a few more birds.

Let us know how you do , the forecast for your area is numbers should be up over last year . Would enjoy hearing how you did .

Best of luck at Glen Elder. Terrific habitat and so vast. Hunted there some years back.

Our group will be out there that weekend. Hard to break a tradition of going out there every year. There is a vast amount of wiha available out there. As long as you get to the wiha early you should be ok. Nothing really beats that area for scenery and habitat. Luckily the area we hunt we also camp at and the field is 30 foot from our tents, so "usually" no one tries to jump in front of us. They do try sometimes though.

Our group will be out there that weekend. Hard to break a tradition of going out there every year. There is a vast amount of wiha available out there. As long as you get to the wiha early you should be ok. Nothing really beats that area for scenery and habitat. Luckily the area we hunt we also camp at and the field is 30 foot from our tents, so "usually" no one tries to jump in front of us. They do try sometimes though.

BChunter-
The group of guys I go with has been @ Glen Elder for going on 20+ years as well. I have been going got about 17 or so myself. We also camp and step right out and hunt. Im sure our groups have crossed paths a time or two.

Over the last couple years, due to drought and poor habitat the birds have just been on a bad decline. Some of the guys are getting older and just makes for hard walking with no birds. Our group is also declining, use to be 15 to 18 guys. this year we are looking at 4-6 at best with a couple dogs.

BChunter-
The group of guys I go with has been @ Glen Elder for going on 20+ years as well. I have been going got about 17 or so myself. We also camp and step right out and hunt. Im sure our groups have crossed paths a time or two.

Over the last couple years, due to drought and poor habitat the birds have just been on a bad decline. Some of the guys are getting older and just makes for hard walking with no birds. Our group is also declining, use to be 15 to 18 guys. this year we are looking at 4-6 at best with a couple dogs.

I know exactly what you mean, my dad started taking me out there to join the event when i was 8 years old some 33 years ago. We used to have at least 15 family members and friends that would join us. Now we are down to myself and a couple uncles with my cousins and a few friends. I remember being the youngest and now i m one of the oldest. We make memories every year out there and always remember the ones who are no longer with us. If you hunt around the lake and see a couple big white survival canvas tents and a couple pop up trailers stop by and say hi.

We've been doing it several years in a row now ourselves. Much respect for being a leader and trying to keep the tradition alive. I have no advice except for keep tromping and bring the new guys in. They will keep it alive for you!!

Man that sounds fun, camping together and hunting right out the camp......:cheers:

It is 1000x's better than staying in a hotel. Sit by the campfire and drink a few beverages while we grill steaks. Walk 10 to 15 feet to the tents and fall asleep listening to nature. Wake up and watch the sunrise while we cook breakfast then walk across camp to our field. Pretty hard to beat.

It appears to me that I am the last of my family of bird hunters with family getting too old and or movin out of state. Friends are city folks that dont hunt.

It appears to me that I am the last of my family of bird hunters with family getting too old and or movin out of state. Friends are city folks that dont hunt.

Yes I agree! Try to drag friends along but most h?ve younger kids and can get the time off work. The group I go with started of 15+ over 20 years ago and I think we are down to 5 maybe 6 this year.

Funny, we started 37 yrs ago with 3, this opener might be as many as 16. Over half under 35. But for the first time no dogs. better mark those birds well.

Back