Itching, Scratching and Biting at her Legs

Dakotazeb

My 7 month old female Brittany that I got a month a ago has been itching, scratching and biting at her legs more that normal. She doesn't appear to have dry skin but that could be part of the issue. Haven't seen any fleas so I'm quite sure that isn't the problem. She was on a premium dog food, chicken and rice formula with 32% protein and 21% fat. I have switched her to a grain free formula with beef and trout, that is 28% protein and 18% fat but it hasn't appeared to help. Before I make a trip to the vet I was wondering if anyone might have some advice or suggestions I might try? Thanks.

Thought about the Benadryl for some temporary relief but don't think it's a long term fix. Maybe it's just a environmental thing and once I get back to South Dakota in April it will help. Also, might have to try some fish oil supplements or other supplements.

couple of thoughts:

Winter is a dry heat time in a house dog's life. Skin could just be reacting to the lack of moisture if the pup is indoors a fair bit;

Call the breeder (not complaining) and ask if he's heard from the owners of the other pups, or if the parents have had issues; and ask him for his advice.

Best wishes.

You may try ONE Benadryl pill a day Plus add one spoon of coconut oil to dog food.

You may want to investigate proper dosages for Benadryl when administered to canines. Dogs need lots of Benedryl compared to humans. I don't have my first aid kit with me (plus I don't know dogs weight) so I can't tell you the proper dosage but it's much more than one.

My dog is currently on a hypoallergenic diet for a food trial to find out if that is the cause of her foot biting, licking, chewing etc... (itchiness). She's been on it for two weeks but vet says expect 6-8 weeks for it to make a difference. In the meantime, NO other treats or food. We'll see how it goes.
Benadryl is not always very effective for dogs. For my dog it was not effective at all. There is a new vet drug on the market called Apoquel. Unlike corticosteroids, that have their side effects and require weaning off when you want to stop, this drug can be stopped or started symptomatically. It's a new drug, which always makes me nervous because long term side effects may not be well known, but all I can say is that it is expensive, effective and appears to have no short term side effects. She's on a low dose of it for the next month and we'll take her off it when she's been on the hypoallergenic diet for six weeks and then see where we're at.
Good luck with your pup!
Cheers,
Dave

try dynovite my friends lab was losing his hair vet had no answer but could give him a bill. I told him about dynovite 90 days later all better. check it out

I really don't want to go to a medication if I don't have to. It's not that bad yet, no hot spots just a general itching and biting. I'm in AZ for the winter so not sure it's something down here causing it. BTW, the dosage for Benadryl is 1 mg per lb. of dog weight. At least that is what I've read and also been told by a vet.

I really don't want to go to a medication if I don't have to. It's not that bad yet, no hot spots just a general itching and biting. I'm in AZ for the winter so not sure it's something down here causing it. BTW, the dosage for Benadryl is 1 mg per lb. of dog weight. At least that is what I've read and also been told by a vet.

I checked my vet med book at lunch.
Yep 1mg per pound 2-3 times per day. I think benidryl is normally 25 mg tablets. So for my labs that's 6-9 tablets a day. That's why I don't use benidryl. Claritin is only 1 10mg tablet per day for 70lbs dogs. I have one dog that gets eye boogers for a week or so when rag weed blooms. Claritin seems to really help

My dog is currently on a hypoallergenic diet for a food trial to find out if that is the cause of her foot biting, licking, chewing etc... (itchiness). She's been on it for two weeks but vet says expect 6-8 weeks for it to make a difference. In the meantime, NO other treats or food. We'll see how it goes.
Benadryl is not always very effective for dogs. For my dog it was not effective at all. There is a new vet drug on the market called Apoquel. Unlike corticosteroids, that have their side effects and require weaning off when you want to stop, this drug can be stopped or started symptomatically. It's a new drug, which always makes me nervous because long term side effects may not be well known, but all I can say is that it is expensive, effective and appears to have no short term side effects. She's on a low dose of it for the next month and we'll take her off it when she's been on the hypoallergenic diet for six weeks and then see where we're at.
Good luck with your pup!
Cheers,
Dave

Dave, you having any luck with the itching, scratching and biting?

We're 18 days out from the 6 week mark since we started her on the hypoallergenic food. We're got to take her off the Apoquel then and see how it goes. I'll update here once we do.
Cheers,
Dave

Don't know what you are using for heart worm but some of the claim to control mites and mange along with other problems. Revolution claims it gets the worms, fleas, ear mites, heart worms and sarcoptic mange.

I haven't had any problems with mites or mange though so no help there. I'm using Sentinel which doesn't claim all of that.

Don't know what you are using for heart worm but some of the claim to control mites and mange along with other problems. Revolution claims it gets the worms, fleas, ear mites, heart worms and sarcoptic mange.

I haven't had any problems with mites or mange though so no help there. I'm using Sentinel which doesn't claim all of that.

I generally use Heartgard but don't have her on it yet. Per my vet we are starting her on injections of Ivermectin, one every month for 3 months. If it is mites that should help. If it doesn't than we have a different issue.

Biting and itching

Gotta wonder if it's allergy related or a reaction to chemicals. Do they use fungicides and herbicides on the grass and shrubs down there. Seems like lower extremity only. Seems like spaniels are pretty sensitive. I know mine have been. Maybe a seasonal thing. I had a golden that needed a steroid every aug. and sept.

Her itching, scratching and biting is pretty much all over her body. In case it's mites we have given her an injection of Ivermectin and will follow that up with 2 more 30 days apart. I've also switched here to a Grain Free food. It got so bad last week that I took her to the vet and he put her on Temaril-P. It has virtually stopped all the itching. I plan to keep her on the Temaril-P until we get back to South Dakota in about 4 weeks. I'm hoping that it is an environmental issue and that getting back to SD will be the solution. If it ends up being an allergy issue I know how hard they are to diagnose. Really don't want to keep her on medication for the long haul due to side-effects.

Itching

It's really hard to watch a dog go through the skin allergy thing. They
are just plain miserable. It will be interesting to see if the food makes a difference. I started feeding Acana a few months back, Miya's coat is like velvet. I swear it made a difference. $60 a bag, but it's dense, and she eats a little less.
I bet when you get her home she'll get better. My dog gets weird allergies from seeds and weeds late summer and early hunting season. I use some benedryl at times. You need to untangle it cuz winters back in SD are too long not to get out of there for a spell.

The Temaril-P is keeping the itching at bay. We started at a dose of one and a half tablets twice a day. We have been able to cut it back to 1 tablet twice a day but that's he least we can get to without the itching starting again. Still on grain free food and also getting some wheat germ oil. We were giving her coconut oil until switching to wheat germ oil.

The plan still is to keep her on the Temaril-P until after we get back to South Dakota around mid-April. Then we will see if the environment is the culprit. I'll report back at that time.

Itching

I'd be willing to bet a box of 16 ga Federals that it is some weed or toxin in the soil down there thats causing the problem. Will be interesting to find out.

I'd be willing to bet a box of 16 ga Federals that it is some weed or toxin in the soil down there thats causing the problem. Will be interesting to find out.

If that's the case it's going to save me a boat load of money in vet bills. Heck, I could buy you a whole case of Federal 16's! Or maybe not! :D

Back