It was Cold but Successful

dc240nt

Today I decided to get my dog out for a short run as it seemed she was really getting cabin fever. We hadnt been out since last weeks big storm. With the temp at -2F I decided to leave late and only try one area. I strapped on my snow shoes to help me get across some CRP and we hit a large cattail slough on public ground. We hit birds right away but they were all Hens. We moved through an area of the slough and crossed a big area of ice to head into a spot that had real tall, thick grass that bordered more cat-tails. As soon as we got close to the grass Elsie got birdy. All told 9 Hens got up. Elsie was still working with caution so I knew there was another bird real close. Sure enough she locks up on point. Before I could take a step a huge Rooster gets up and he met 20ga #4's at about 25 yards. Mission accomplished! A quick retreive to hand and we were headed back to the pickup, arriving right at sundown. The hunt took us 45 minutes. In that time the temp had dropped to -8. My dog was cold! It was a nice short hunt and Elsie done very well. This was our first "snow bird" hunt, my first hunt on snowshoes, and her first extreme cold hunt. I think we'll try another short one tomorrow.

PC310014.jpg

Well done DC. That's my kind of bird hunting. Where'd ya get the Alaskan snowshoes? I think I need a pair of those.

It is good to see the someone is still keeping the faith while the rest of us complain about the snow and the untimely end.

snow shoes

I was wondering about buying snow shoes. I was looking at some of the metal snow shoes that are a bit shorter. How many others out there use snow shoes. I was taking the dogs for a walk and my wife was looking at me through the window. I was busting through the ice crusted snow on every step. She said it made her tired just watching me.

Sounds like fun! Snowshoes work good if there's a crust. Not so good in fluffy snow, brush or thick stuff. But still, better having them then not.

I was wondering about buying snow shoes. I was looking at some of the metal snow shoes that are a bit shorter. How many others out there use snow shoes. I was taking the dogs for a walk and my wife was looking at me through the window. I was busting through the ice crusted snow on every step. She said it made her tired just watching me.

I got a set a couple years ago as a gift. These were very reasonable price wise. I have the 9x30 and it works well. I use them for taking the dogs for exercise runs. I have not used them for hunting yet, but may have to give them a try. I will say if you do decide to get some and use them for hunting, make darn sure you get used to them first. You need to be a bit more conscious of your steps as it is a bit different than just walking in boots. The only issue I can see when hunting is turning quickly to shoot or getting hung up in heavy brush.

Here are the ones I have in 9x30. There not top of the line, but suit me fine.
http://yukoncharlies.com/YukonCharlies/Trail_Series-Mens.html

Congrats on a successful hunt, You got the best of both worlds, excellent dog work and a bird. Who could ask for anything more.......Bob

This seems like the perfect topic to pose this question: How cold is too cold for your dog to be out hunting? I use a neoprene vest for protection from the grass and such for my GSP. She only weighs 35 lbs so she is real skinny. I want to go out this weekend but we are having windchills in minus 20-minus 30 degrees this weekend. I think if I take her for short hunts she will be fine, but even the best dog box does not keep all the wind out on the drive there.

This seems like the perfect topic to pose this question: How cold is too cold for your dog to be out hunting? I use a neoprene vest for protection from the grass and such for my GSP. She only weighs 35 lbs so she is real skinny. I want to go out this weekend but we are having windchills in minus 20-minus 30 degrees this weekend. I think if I take her for short hunts she will be fine, but even the best dog box does not keep all the wind out on the drive there.

Actually, she handled it very well. But then again we werent out very long. I keep her in the house (family dog) and she rides inside the cab of the pickup in her kennel. Pretty spoiled I know! Once we get into the cattails she's just fine and will go all day. Its the open country and wind that gets her. I dont use a vest this time of year because it collects snow, add a warm dog, and you have moisture sticking to thier skin. This robs a dog of vital energy. I've found that on wet and cold days, or when in snow, she does better and lasts longer without a skid plate or vest. I've tried them and all they do is collect and hold moisture that a dog would otherwise be able to shake off. On this hunt she actually fell through a spot of thin ice. Water was about mid chest deep. She stood there for a couple seconds (as if to say "dammit") then jumped out, shook herself off, and away she went. She never showed any sign of being cold until we started back to the pickup and had to cross 350 yards of open country.

Back