It Never Gets Old

Golden Hour

It’s Friday!! Tomorrow, it will be Saturday. Not just any Saturday, but the one I’ve had on the calendar since last February. The one that pops up in my Google search bar when I type “days until October 9th”. In truth, once I type in “da…”, the rest completes itself. What was once a couple hundred days is now down to 25 hours.

I don’t know where Sage and I will go to hunt. I don’t know what we’ll find. Will there be pheasants? Will there be other hunters? In truth, that doesn’t matter one single bit. Because I will be out there.

I am a lifelong South Dakota boy. I’ve shot enough pheasants to last a lifetime. I’ve seen a thousand sunsets but hope to see a thousand more. I can easily recall the autumn grasses brushing my hand as I follow Sage through the untamed. And I look forward to that feeling again. I know that the warm October days will turn into frigid January ones before I know it. And I will enjoy each of the days in that transition. I will shoot some young roosters and remark on the hatch. Time will progress and every rooster I shoot will be in full color, some with long spurs and longer tail feathers.

I remember the pre-season excitement of those days leading up to my first hunting season. Reading the handbook cover to cover. Knowing that I would be carrying a shotgun and following a dog in pursuit of the Chinese Ringneck Pheasant. At age 41, that excitement might even be greater today than it was for a young boy who had yet to shoot his first rooster.

I replay the remarkable retrieves and heart pounding flushes, the great shots and epic misses from years gone by in my mind. But they don’t occupy as much space in the grey matter as what the coming season will bring, what the coming hunts will reveal. I’ve watched my dog become more and more restless as doves, ducks and geese have gotten her amped up, but nothing will compare to that moment we step into the field chasing roosters. She knows what she’s looking for. No refresher course is needed. Everything she needs has been imprinted on her psyche and ingrained in her DNA. She’s ready to go. So am I. And it’s a feeling that never gets old.

Awesome post. I don’t live in South Dakota anymore but I loved the resident opener. My dad was in the Air Force so we moved around quite a bit but I remember when he took me to South Dakota when I turned 12. I’m 40 now and I still go back every year I can with my dad. As life goes on it seems it’s the one thing I can hold on to with my dad. I’m anxious to hear how you do this weekend. Good luck and I can’t wait til I make it over Thanksgiving week. I work in education so have to wait til my vacation then.

Looks like rain for Saturday and a slight chance on Sunday. The resident opener has become very popular and since it's limited to public land the hunting spaces can get a little crowded. I may try to get out Sunday later in the afternoon and/or Monday. Got up early this morning and drove up NE of Watertown and tried chasing some Sharpies. Bree had a great point on 3 birds and I did manage to get one. Those were the only ones we saw. Love walking those hills and letting the dog just roll.

Awesome post. I don’t live in South Dakota anymore but I loved the resident opener. My dad was in the Air Force so we moved around quite a bit but I remember when he took me to South Dakota when I turned 12. I’m 40 now and I still go back every year I can with my dad. As life goes on it seems it’s the one thing I can hold on to with my dad. I’m anxious to hear how you do this weekend. Good luck and I can’t wait til I make it over Thanksgiving week. I work in education so have to wait til my vacation then.

Post # 2 and post # 8, seems like deja vu.

Well written GH, english minor? Similar thoughts, but I know exactly where we will be, have thought that through months ago. I have invisioned the route, but often the dogs changes that. On opener, I will make them hold the line for the first 400 yards or so, we will have my 84 year old father in a blocking position...opener is one of the few times we might have more than 3 hunters. I still have 3 weeks for my favorite day of the the year! Looking forward to the opening weekend reports. Wishing everyone good luck and a safe season to all, including the real workers, our dogs. If it is possible, I think my last dog actual enjoyed pheasant hunting more than me....I know I was able to control myself in the truck better in the truck than he did, waiting for 8:00AM...I do miss him.

Back