Is Anyone Alive In South Dakota

BleuBijou

Help a guy out, we do not have a team still in the playoffs, so we are still interested in how birds are doing. Although, I am cheering for #4!!!!!~ Got a message from a guy in Presho, say's a lot of roosters still on the ground. Looks like a good carryover??????? Weather looks bad?

We're still here. Although I've noticed the SD forum has been fairly quiet lately. Not sure what is going to become of the big winter storm that was forecast. We sure haven't seen the snow. Mostly rain and freezing rain. Some areas have been hit hard with ice which is certainly not good news for the pheasants. Here, around Aberdeen, our temps have remained in the mid 30's so we don't have the ice. YET! Keeping my fingers crossed.

DZ, just talked to a landowner by Roscoe whose power was out and estimates for it to not be back on for up to 2 weeks. He's fixin to run farm on tractor powered generator. Sounds like 1000's of power outages.

What have you heard?

DZ, just talked to a landowner by Roscoe whose power was out and estimates for it to not be back on for up to 2 weeks. He's fixin to run farm on tractor powered generator. Sounds like 1000's of power outages.

What have you heard?

SE SD has a bunch of power out. Most of it has gotten back on line in a reasonable amount of time.

Sounds like damage is pretty spotty. I think it was warm enough that beaks did not freeze shut so that will help. Where food sources are not as good and you get a 1/2 inch of ice it will definately hurt the birds I think. I guide 30 miles south west of Aberdeen. I talked to the owner yesterday and he said there birds are holding up really good. Plenty of food plots right next to roosting cover. Just west of them they got a lot more ice also.

By the forcast it looks like it will be atleast ten days for a warm up to melt ice.

I live in Brookings and so far its not to bad around here.

Praying for good weather here on out.

East River Bird Situation

Talked to a buddy in the Kimball area. Said he hit a rooster with his trunk on a gravel road the other day @ 3:00 in the afternoon. No food in it, gut nor throat,zero. All the fat off. Said they are comparing this year to 1996. Birds are dying. Is this localized or the big picture?

i say we've been hit with so far 50 inches of snow since the first blizzard in Dec of 2009. we just went through a good weekend of ice and snow together and predicts more snow coming this weekend.

at work, i was on a gravel road, just TONS of birds scrapping up as much salt as they can get. Corn still hasnt been harvested so that does help the birds in most areas. So its a 50/50 for the birds.

Oh btw, im in the Pierre area, as well as Winner Area too.

Birdman, where are you located? Wow ,I can not believe the corn is still up. That might be the best omen in all of this. Hope it breaks real soon for you guys.

Back