Is a hay field good for pheasants?

I've mentioned this before, but pheasants are not a priority except for maybe in South Dakota. Every other state prioritizes deer populations, habitat, and deer hunting over everything else. Why? Because it has the most participants and generates the most revenue.

I would also like to point out with the political will power, you can make a significant difference. Here in MN, the mandated buffer strips along waterways like rivers, streams, creeks, and ditches has made a remarkable difference. It was mandated by a Democratic governor about 10 years ago and it was required in stages over the years until it became a full state law. There was a lot of push back from the agriculture industry. Big Ag hates it initially because it takes land out of production. But it has added a lot of miles of habitat for various types of wildlife, pollinators, and greatly increased water quality as a result.

Just think of what would happen to bird numbers if other states implemented this. Bird numbers in a state like Iowa would explode solely based on the addition of habitat. But it requires state legislation, phased implementation, and enforcement though.
I can't really speak for other states, but Kansas has done nothing to improve deer population. Quite the opposite actually. They want to bring in as many out of state hunters as possible and don't even monitor the harvest. No check in stations, nothing. They have done nothing to work with private landowners to improve habitat. You mention a democratic governor. Quite honestly, I really can't figure out why I keep voting republican being an outdoor enthusiast. Republican house members in Kansas have been a nightmare for the KDWP.

Quite honestly, I really can't figure out why I keep voting republican being an outdoor enthusiast. Republican house members in Kansas have been a nightmare for the KDWP.

I only mentioned it was a Democratic governor because that's who was in charge at the time. It could have occurred with a Republican one too. The point being is that whoever it is, you have to be willing to take on the Agriculture industry. They are very powerful as we both know.

Unfortunate set of circumstances happening in your state.

Well, it has been a long time since I posted here. All farmers are not alike. There are stewards and there are businessmen and everything in between. Regenerative ag would go a long way to solve climate change and conservation issues. It is coming but slowly. I choose to be a steward, but I have to be able to keep the business side of things working. If I don't, I won't be able to keep doing what I am doing. I have been called a lowlife because I have a hunting business. That business lets there be more habitat. Farmers get to do what they want with their investment The Audubon society just did a bird count here. The one who did the counting said I had the most birds of all the places he did bird counts. That feels good but it doesn't put any money in my pocket.
Well I have to do more then like your post , I want to thank you for your outlook and your conservation practices. We need more people in the business and the government with your mindset.

Drain tile is probably one of the most detrimental land practices to wildlife especially when the water runs to a ditch, to a bigger ditch, to a river. It promotes greater flooding in the spring and during heavy periods of rain.

Drain tile destroys those smaller grassy wetland areas that used to be spread widely across the landscape. It pretty much eliminates Type 1 and 2 wetlands and can impact Type 3 too.

The big Ag companies are the greatest threat to conservation. They only make money on acres farmed. Monoculture beans and corn. The list goes on. Some of these companies will donate money to conservation, but that is like putting a band aide on an ax wound.

The science around soil management, crops, weeds, and insect control is absolutely amazing. The GPS and monitoring during planting and harvest is phenomenal.

... but all that technology drives the landowner / farmer to have their 160+ acre parcels clear of any obstacles.

Last edited:
One can find all the USDA subsidies (including conservation payments) for any state, county, and landowner (if they take money). It is amazing to see the amount of cash payment subsidies on commodity crops ...

Lot's of data out there. Top 10% of recipients received 54% of the payments in 2023.

Last edited:
Some really nice info on CRP in SD and ND. It looks like both states have 1.1 - 1.25 million acres enrolled. The cost per acre is roughly 20% less in ND.

Drain tile is probably one of the most detrimental land practices to wildlife especially when the water runs to a ditch, to a bigger ditch, to a river. It promotes greater flooding in the spring and during heavy periods of rain.

Drain tile destroys those smaller grassy wetland areas that used to be spread widely across the landscape. It pretty much eliminates Type 1 and 2 wetlands and can impact Type 3 too.

The big Ag companies are the greatest threat to conservation. They only make money on acres farmed. Monoculture beans and corn. The list goes on. Some of these companies will donate money to conservation, but that is like putting a band aide on an ax wound.

The science around soil management, crops, weeds, and insect control is absolutely amazing. The GPS and monitoring during planting and harvest is phenomenal.

... but all that technology drives the landowner / farmer to have their 160+ acre parcels clear of any obstacles.

Well said BRITTMAN, Field tiling in my neck of the woods is almost like an obsessive compulsion. I don't know how many times I've just shook my head and drove on, seeing a high ground field being tiled. Doesn't it deprive the aquifers of water? Not to mention all the turkey and chicken shit draining into our creeks and rivers (in Indiana)...

I realize that a hen can try to nest there, and there's probably a lot of bugs around some of them. But I also have to wonder how many birds and nests get ran over when they cut hay. I've talked to some farmers and seen others out in the hay fields cutting recently. It seems like they're going to town right during a peak nesting time. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, that's why I came here to ask.
Grew up on a family dairy farm in southern mi in the 60’s when we still had pheasants. Mowing hay definitely killed hen pheasants as youngsters we would try and gather up chicks after hens were killed and raise them which didn’t work out to well. But when the alfalfa was at the prime time to mow Grandpa would say “mow hay “ and we did. Sometimes with our slower rigs we could see hens and raise the blade until we passed the nest. But at the speed my brother who still harvests hay mows that would be impossible. No pheasants to harm any more but fawns have a high casualty rate.

In the west advances in farming practices have greatly impacted upland bird habitat more than hay cutting will ever do. Large corporate farms, huge fields, circle pivot sprinklers, no edge, no fence line have all ruined upland hunting in many of my childhood haunts. the small farmers are slowly dying out by the attraction of a huge $$ from corporate farmers and dairy operators.

Additionally, a childhood friend of mine who let me hunt every year since I was 12 recently sold his farm which has quail, pheasants, Hungarian partridge, deer and waterfowl opportunities to a group of folks who are going to use it as a pay to hunt opportunity. Money always seems to win out in the end.

Back