Iowa hunting atlas?

rangerman

Does Iowa publish a paper hunting atlas similar to south dakota, Kansas and Nebraska. Was looking online only to view their arcgis program.

Prefer paper over computer, which makes me old and a first timer to Iowa pheasant hunting.

Does Iowa publish a paper hunting atlas similar to south dakota, Kansas and Nebraska. Was looking online only to view their arcgis program.

Prefer paper over computer, which makes me old and a first timer to Iowa pheasant hunting.
Stop "hotspotting!" lol These guys used to, but Iowa isn't on their menu....but I didn't look very hard > https://scmaps.com/

Wonder if that atlas lists all public hunting areas (wpa, gpa, ihap) with roads over layed?

Tentatively planning a first trip to Iowa, since Kansas and Nebraska locations that I frequent are suffering from long term drought and crp conversions. So sad for those 2 states.

Wonder if that atlas lists all public hunting areas (wpa, gpa, ihap) with roads over layed?

Tentatively planning a first trip to Iowa, since Kansas and Nebraska locations that I frequent are suffering from long term drought and crp conversions. So sad for those 2 states.
Don't tell @515wingshooter I asked you this, but what part of Iowa are you thinking about hunting? Also, NE Nebraska is really good this year, especially Wayne County, etc.

The paper maps do not list ihap because that is ever changing and a paid program that can change at any time.

It shows all dnr, county, and federal public hunting and refuges. It does show towns and major roads but you better bring your magnifying glass with.

Newest production is 2020.

By the way, if you are trying to escape drought, you dont want to come to central/eastern iowa. Its the driest ive seen in many years around here.

Here is contact info to order it straight from the publisher. These books are the best! Very accurate, roads are marked either gravel or tar by their color. I use all the electronic stuff too, but if you hunt Iowa you definitely need one of these paper atlas'! Make sure to get the one with the pheasant stretching his wings, that's the newest one, a great resource.

• 1517 3rd Ave NW, Fort Dodge, IA, United States, Iowa
    7KDVc3hw483.png

(800) 568-8334
    W4m-1QXtJyK.png

shawna@twinriversmedia.com

• 1700498858681.png

Thank you for the assistance. Planning a early December trip to the north central or north west. Don't think I qualify to be hot spotting since I've never been there. (Lol)

Should be fun to extend my season in Iowa from my previous 10 days (2 five day trips) in south dakota.

Need to make up for lost time during last years season when i stepped in a hole and snapped my Achilles tendon.

More like the geriatric league. If I ever find the badger that dug that hole, he is a goner! Happened the first day in SD last year, surgery/recovery has been brutal. Felt just as bad for the 3 setters who missed the entire fall hunting season while I was in a cast for 3 months.

In a matter of 2 hours on day 1, my number 1 setter lacerated her leg requiring 8 stitches at the nonresident price of $399. Approximately 2 hours later, I step in a hole and hear a snap. Later at ER, snapped Achilles. HMO insurance denies me treatment since I'm out of network/non emergency. Therefore, 700 mile trip back home alone with 3 setters.

Surgery a week later.
Cant make this up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115-192107_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-192107_Messages.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221117_103512.jpg
    20221117_103512.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 3
Thank you for the assistance. Planning a early December trip to the north central or north west. Don't think I qualify to be hot spotting since I've never been there. (Lol)

Should be fun to extend my season in Iowa from my previous 10 days (2 five day trips) in south dakota.

Need to make up for lost time during last years season when i stepped in a hole and snapped my Achilles tendon.
Early December should be good just keep in mind that our shotgun deer season starts the 2nd and runs through the 17th.

I've seen a bunch of whopper deer in iowa over the years. I think they need to thin the herd. Dangerous driving home.

More like the geriatric league. If I ever find the badger that dug that hole, he is a goner! Happened the first day in SD last year, surgery/recovery has been brutal. Felt just as bad for the 3 setters who missed the entire fall hunting season while I was in a cast for 3 months.

In a matter of 2 hours on day 1, my number 1 setter lacerated her leg requiring 8 stitches at the nonresident price of $399. Approximately 2 hours later, I step in a hole and hear a snap. Later at ER, snapped Achilles. HMO insurance denies me treatment since I'm out of network/non emergency. Therefore, 700 mile trip back home alone with 3 setters.

Surgery a week later.
Cant make this up.
Oh man! Those things are man traps. They have dropped me twice this season but luckily no injuries. BTW those maps are nice. Just remember to keep a pencil or pen with them and take notes every trip , year after year.

Yah, those holes are potential issues. The last time I hunted a public parcel, 2 years ago, I stepped in a hole and it buggered-up my leg...a lot of unusual colors came and left, but didn't need medical assistance. Maybe 4 years ago stepped in one, heel first and my boot was wedged in good. It was below zero that morning and needed my buddy to assist getting out of that situation. I find no need to hunt in below zero temps any longer.
IA SG, is right on the gun seasons for deer being full on in early Dec. The seasons are short and intense. Maybe avoid hunting near any standing timber in the time frame those gun seasons are going.

Rangerman, I would avoid SD also, after it treated you (and your dog) like that! I hope Iowa treats you much better, good luck.

We once hunted an thick grassy area in Iowa that was pitted with sink holes, we left in a hurry before our group was injured. No bird is worth an injury. C'mon PS and 515, stay positive. Save negative for other sites.

Back