iowa sportsman's atlas - back roads and outdoor recreation

GSP

the link on the iowa dnr site seems robust. very useful tool for planning a hunt. i'm using it to plan my new year's party!

that said, i love an atlas and don't have one for iowa. i find the delorme to not be very user friendly. as such, i always look for an alternative and came across the iowa sportsman's atlas.

are the prices listed on amazon correct? $400+??? typo? it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. anybody have one? are they available for $40 instead of $400?

anybody have an alternative to the delorme that they like for navigating iowa?

Most sporting good stores in Iowa have a Sportsmans Atlas for $20 or so. Its a good idea to confirm the areas you're considering with the online/DNR atlas. The Sportsmans Atlas hasn't been updated for a few years so its not 100% accurate, but its pretty close.

In addition to the sporting goods store, you may find the atlas at most of the Wal-Marts too! $20 or less will procure you this great resource! Good hunting!:)

Does anyone know when a newer year will come out? Mine says copyright 07. The ones I have looked at recently have different covers, but say the same year.

Does anyone know when a newer year will come out? Mine says copyright 07. The ones I have looked at recently have different covers, but say the same year.

below is the atlas to which i was referring. it appears that it was published by a man from boone co iowa who passed away in 2009. it has since fallen out of production. outside of the couple on amazon (for > $400), i can't find one anywhere.

the iowa dnr gave me a 800 # to call. the woman who answered the phone informed me that there was no way to get an existing atlas, but they "hoped" to put out a new one in 2015.

i would be happy even with the $20 walmart version. but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere on line. the interactive maps on the iowa dnr site are great, but it would be nice to not have to print out every map.

i'm considering splashing out on one of the garmin micro sd cards that shows the publicly accessible land. it looks like one is offered of all the "plains states," so i will still have the dakota's maps to use after we don't find any birds in iowa... ;)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/iow...ns-atlas-company/1103595932?ean=9780762528110

Overview
The Iowa Sportsman's Atlas contains a complete set of Iowa Department of Transportation County Maps. These maps show all Hard Surface, Gravel, Dirt Roads, Rail Roads, Rivers and Creeks. Marked in red on these maps are the locations and boundaries of all public lands federal, state and county. In the margins of the maps are descriptions of what you can do on these public lands; Deer Hunting, Pheasant Hunting, Turkey Hunting, Fishing, Camping, etc.
Also listed on the pages are hotels, motels and phone numbers of those people who manage the land, including representatives from the Iowa DNR and County Conservation Board.

I was at Bass Pro and Sportmans Warehouse over the weekend in the Des Moines area. Both places had them for $19.99. The 2007 or whatever version is the newest version as the guy who made them has since passed away, as you referenced. I've never heard of them being sold online. I see them frequently in sporting goods stores in the Des Moines area.

I would hit Scheels in Cedar Rapids if you're coming that far south. If coming on I-90 to I-35 to Mason City and then over I would stop in Mason
(7 miles off the interstate) and swing in to Mills Fleet Farm. I'm not sure where else further west sells them.

you could buy the $20 atlas then go to idnr atlas and highlit your paper maps

that's exactly what we will do. i was just hoping they were sold online so that i could do so before we get out there.

we're headed over to the nw part of the state. we'll find one on the way.

thanks guys!

got my atlas guys. and a couple roosters too!

i can't over state how good of a time we had in your fair state. the hospitality was wonderful. from the diner, to the bar, to the motel, to the field. everything was first rate.

we walked our tales off, and then walked some more. and more... four days of non stop hunting and i'm wrecked. sore, exhausted, tired dogs, and a big smile on my face.

i can see where a guy who measures a trip's success by birds in the bag, might think we put in too much for too little. and that's fine with me. i had a great experience and will be back!

mike

DO NOT buy these books with the glued binding. Get one that is spiral bound. Its a Million times easier to use in the field, anywhere really. Yes I learned the hard way

I am not sure what is up with the lady on the phone.
I have been calling her for 2 years checking on the atlas. She told me last year that it would be this year around Sept. I called in Sept and she said Oct. I called early Oct and she said try me in 2 weeks. I called 2 weeks later and she told me to call back mid-Dec. I did that and still nothing!

I wish she would just give it to me straight.

You can actually order them online. I am wondering how that is working?

I have one and have had it for many years. I used it quite a bit "many years ago."

However, I would never buy another one due to the fact the DNR has that interactive map now. It includes everything, is updated regularly, is never out of date and can be carried in your pocket on your phone.

The Atlas on the other hand can never be updated, often had the boundaries "not quite right," was often outdated before the printing run was complete, has not been updated to reflect all the walk-in hunting areas, etc, etc.

I kind of compare it to having a paper map in your car trying to figure out how to get to your vacation spot. It served its purpose in its day but for all intent and purposes it is now functionally obsolete.

Am I missing something???

got my atlas guys. and a couple roosters too!

i can't over state how good of a time we had in your fair state. the hospitality was wonderful. from the diner, to the bar, to the motel, to the field. everything was first rate.

we walked our tales off, and then walked some more. and more... four days of non stop hunting and i'm wrecked. sore, exhausted, tired dogs, and a big smile on my face.

i can see where a guy who measures a trip's success by birds in the bag, might think we put in too much for too little. and that's fine with me. i had a great experience and will be back!

mike

Good to hear. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I just posted my own thread asking if anyone uses the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas and if they like it or any information they could give me on it. I see they are coming out with a 2015 this year. Saw it on another site and was checking it out.

I checked the website out and looks like they are taking pre-orders for the atlas for 21.95. The website I looked at was www.sportsmanatlas.com Hope this helps anyone out and glad I saw your guys post answered some of my questions.

I just posted my own thread asking if anyone uses the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas and if they like it or any information they could give me on it. I see they are coming out with a 2015 this year. Saw it on another site and was checking it out.

I placed an order for one around mid January and I'm waiting. I believe they posted 10-12 wks back then. No rush at this point on my end... but hopefully I'll see it in the next month or two. I'll post when received. ;)

Back