Interesting quote about pheasant survival y/y

southernblues

It's all relative but I thought the quote at the bottom in bold was interesting. I've been on some great hunts and always wondered how the species rebounds year after year from record statewide hunts...btw, I copied/pasted this from here:

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/news/2009/01/22/pheasants-forevers-2008-2009-winter-update/

"Our first thought may be, 'those pheasants are going to starve if I don't feed them,'" said Jesse Beckers, Pheasants Forever Regional Wildlife Biologist in North Dakota, a state hit particularly hard this winter, "But is this the limiting factor when it comes to pheasants surviving harsh winter conditions? The answer is no. It all comes down to habitat, namely good winter cover. A pheasant that starves to death is rare, and most will die of exposure or predators long before starvation. Corn and grains are diet staples for wintering pheasants, but they also feed on weed seeds and berries. So what can we do to ensure the pheasants will make it through a tough winter? Establish some winter cover on your property to limit stress, and establish good nesting cover so the hens that do make it through the winter can reproduce. It's also important to remember that only 10 percent of the autumn's roosters are needed to maintain the population from year-to-year. Hen survival through winter and their health coming into the reproduction cycle is critical. It's all about habitat and hens."

I evaluate my winter habitat after a winter storm and make note of what needs improved.

I agree with your post SB. Sadly! We as humans can do just so much, Mother Nature has more control over the habitat and Hens than we do.---Bob

I have to disagree a little Bob. As you note, we can do a lot for habitat including providing high quality winter food. The problem is that weather can make that food unavailable during critical periods when the birds need it to maintain condition or improve their condition leading into nesting. Yes, there are times when weather negates our attempts to make habitat, and maybe that's what you were trying to say to begin with.

No, what I was trying to say us City Dwellers, have no control over it. We give money and support to groups like PF and hope they do a good job. Around here that has not always been the case. So We have to depend on Mother Nature to do a good job of helping our birds through the rough times.--- Bob

Back