In need of Training tips

I just bought a springer pup earlier this week, he is 8 weeks old and is doing a great job learning come, no, stay and is fetching a small toy right now. This is my first puppy after being out of my parents house and want to train him right. What should I be teaching him week by week, have a small house and a small yard in Spicer, MN where I just moved to and don't know anybody with land to train on. Any tips on when to through in scents what to have him training with for now. Anything would help.

- Thank You

I think at 8 weeks old the things you should be concentrating on the most is socialization. I think what you have done so far is ok, but don't overdo it. He is still just a baby and won't have the attention span for much more than that. Get him used to other people and dogs as well. Let him see a few wing clipped quail if you wish. But above all else, make it fun with no pressure. Until he is roughly 5-6 months old I wouldn't worry about much else.

FCspringer who is a member of this board is experienced with raising and training Springers, so he might be able to offer some advice specific to springers.

Good luck with your future hunting partner.:)

Last edited:
I'm sure you will get some tips on this site. But I would recommend picking up a copy of the book "Gun dog" by Richard A. Wolters. It was written about 50 years ago but has some great information to help you. Takes you through a time line like you are looking for.

Don't get to anxious. At 8 weeks your pup is very, very young. Like birdshooter said, concentrate on socialization at this time. You can work on housebreaking, teaching the dog its name and some basic obedience but it's still really early.

Good luck.

I totally agree with George and I used that book to train Tony. It was a great help. I still use it now then for as a reference when asked a question. Bob

I just bought a springer pup earlier this week, he is 8 weeks old and is doing a great job learning come, no, stay and is fetching a small toy right now. This is my first puppy after being out of my parents house and want to train him right. What should I be teaching him week by week, have a small house and a small yard in Spicer, MN where I just moved to and don't know anybody with land to train on. Any tips on when to through in scents what to have him training with for now. Anything would help.

- Thank You

Pick up the book "HUP" by James B Spencer. It is the training guide for Flushing Spaniels.

HUP is a great book, We train all the time with Springers in our two trial clubs, You are welcome to come and learn from some of the best guy's in the game if you feel like coming out PM me and I will get back to ya about where and when.

I think at 8 weeks old the things you should be concentrating on the most is socialization. I think what you have done so far is ok, but don't overdo it. He is still just a baby and won't have the attention span for much more than that. Get him used to other people and dogs as well. Let him see a few wing clipped quail if you wish. But above all else, make it fun with no pressure. Until he is roughly 5-6 months old I wouldn't worry about much else.

FCspringer who is a member of this board is experienced with raising and training Springers, so he might be able to offer some advice specific to springers.

Good luck with your future hunting partner.:)

This will be your best bet at this age, lots of socialization. Do not try and do to much to fast. good luck with the new pup.:cheers:

When I brought my Pup home (10 weeks old) I asked the breeder/trainer the same question. His answer was to socialize the pup let it and bond with me. So thats just what we did. I did teach house training and kennel trained, enforced off limits area's/yard boundaries. I didnt worry or consider any type of bird training until she was 5+ months old. Right now just have fun and let the pup be a puppy.

Iâ??ve got to disagree w/ the â??Gun Dogâ?� by Richard Wolters recommendation. Wolters was the only voice teaching the regular hunter to train his own dog back in his day but he was writing in the 1960â??s!! Yes there is still a lot of relevant information in his books but there is also a LOT of misguided crap. It was the first book many of us used to train our first dogs but today there are far better sources of up to date information, HUP, by Jim Spencer is one and anything by George Hickox is good.

Woltersâ?? had a way of connecting w/ his readers that made them loyal believers. Last year driving back from a hunting trip a friend of mine referenced Wolters admonishment to get your pup on exactly the 49th day. I advised him of the current research that disproves that notion and I thought he was going to make me walk home for questioning the man.

Wolters was a lot of things, but he wasnâ??t a dog trainer. He gave a timetable for where the dog should be at a given age that has probably ruined more dogs than anything else.
Wolters describes ecollars as horrible but advise that every dog needs at least one good beating in his life. I could go on but I havenâ??t read those books in quite awhile.

I give Wolters credit for being one of the first writers to help the average hunter produce a serviceable gun dog but his books should be read today only for their historical value.

Let the flaming begin��

Bird Dog Development

- Thank You

When he is old/big enough to handle some heavier grass cover, say 5 - 6 mos., go for walks and carry a loud hand gun or a shotgun. While the dog is out front and not paying any attention to you, touch off a round into the ground, maybe three times during the walk. Keep walking and don't react in anyway to the noise as if such noises are a normal part of going for a walk. You might want to start with some hand clapping now.

For hand signals (the extended arm and I use the raised arm for "move toward me"), start using them now to indicate where you want him to go -- in/out of the house, a room, the crate, etc. Soon he will follow your signal with no voice command necessary.

A springer is bred to work close, so that should come naturally. If he goes out too far, a check lead with a spike collar is a good training tool to develop a good response to "whoa" as a voice or whistle command to keep him close.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I like to get the pup accustomed to loud noises as soon as heâ??s settled in w/ the family. Since I feed him in the laundry room, I sit w/ him as heâ??s eating and gently open and close the dryer door. It tends to reverberate as well as make a noise so I watch the pup closely for signs of stress. Usually, heâ??ll just look up and resume eating. In no time, heâ??ll keep eating and ignore the opening and closing of the door no matter how hard I slam it.

Build on this slowly by introducing loud noises while pup is playing, eating or otherwise associating the sound w/ something enjoyable and youâ??ll avoid gunshyness. Always read your dog. If you see signs of stress over a noise, just stop. Let him forget about it and start more slowly another day.

Good Advice

I like to get the pup accustomed to loud noises as soon as heâ??s settled in w/ the family. Since I feed him in the laundry room, I sit w/ him as heâ??s eating and gently open and close the dryer door. It tends to reverberate as well as make a noise so I watch the pup closely for signs of stress. Usually, heâ??ll just look up and resume eating. In no time, heâ??ll keep eating and ignore the opening and closing of the door no matter how hard I slam it.

Build on this slowly by introducing loud noises while pup is playing, eating or otherwise associating the sound w/ something enjoyable and youâ??ll avoid gunshyness. Always read your dog. If you see signs of stress over a noise, just stop. Let him forget about it and start more slowly another day.

This is very good advice for acclimating the dog to loud noises.

When Tony was a 8 week old pup, I would take him for walks in a small hunting type field. I would carry a 22 blank pistol actually a race starters gun. when he would get out in front a good distance I'd shoot a blank. When he came to me for support. I said and did nothing I just kept walking. I did that only 3 times a day and it wasn't long he didn't even change stride, he just kept going.........Bob

Back