Import puppy from Canada

Sody

Looking at getting back into hunting after retirement. Looking at puppy from Ontario Canada but not sure what the rules are to import if I drive and pick up the puppy in my vehicle, puppy would be 8 weeks of age.

Do you need to make arrangements with port of entry (schedule appointment) to bring a puppy into the states?

anything else I should be aware of?

It's laid out more clearly here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/55/kw/buying%20a%20puppy%20in%20canada/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzOTU4NjU3NS9zaWQvOFlVNHFXdG0%3D/suggested/1

Dog owners may be required to have several different documents upon entry into the United States depending on the dog?s breed, origin, and destination. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention requires that all dogs arriving into the United States must be healthy and have proof of a valid rabies certificate. Dogs that have never been vaccinated against rabies must be vaccinated at least 30 days before entering the United States. Puppies must not be vaccinated against rabies before 3 months of age, so the youngest that a puppy can be imported into the United States is 4 months of age. The rabies vaccination requirement applies to all dogs, including service animals. The only exception is for dogs that are arriving from areas designated as being rabies-free that have lived there for at least the last 6 months or since birth.

Better to fly it in! There are health restrictions, got to a "livestock importation" airport. I am lucky, KCI in Kansas City is one. It's been many years...like before strip searching passengers long ago. Because the airport has veterinarians on staff, and was cleared at departure, it's easier. By the way almost all Canadian Prairie Champion trials are in limbo,because bringing your horse into Canada is prohibited. some Equine disease in Texas and surrounding states. In short hops where you have Delta service, I recommend them! Use Delta dash, a cute stewardess will walk you dog crate to you!

Better to fly it in! There are health restrictions, got to a "livestock importation" airport. I am lucky, KCI in Kansas City is one. It's been many years...like before strip searching passengers long ago. Because the airport has veterinarians on staff, and was cleared at departure, it's easier. By the way almost all Canadian Prairie Champion trials are in limbo,because bringing your horse into Canada is prohibited. some Equine disease in Texas and surrounding states. In short hops where you have Delta service, I recommend them! Use Delta dash, a cute stewardess will walk you dog crate to you!

Does that in anyway impact the rabies vaccination requirement?:confused:

No as far as I know. Health certificate and rabies shot are mandatory. Of course you realize rabies to a 7 week pup is putting lipstick on a pig....you have to do it again latter to ensure it takes. Best is you avoid U.S. customs at the border, possibly somebody who hasn't got a clue.

No as far as I know. Health certificate and rabies shot are mandatory. Of course you realize rabies to a 7 week pup is putting lipstick on a pig....you have to do it again latter to ensure it takes. Best is you avoid U.S. customs at the border, possibly somebody who hasn't got a clue.

Okay.. your statement is confusing.

Are you a: advocating vaccinating a 7 week old puppy, b: advocating sneaking across the border, or c: advocating hoping the BP agent is clueless?

Okay.. your statement is confusing.

Are you a: advocating vaccinating a 7 week old puppy, b: advocating sneaking across the border, or c: advocating hoping the BP agent is clueless?
If you are buying an pup, with it's puppy immunity, it takes maturity, around six months for the pup to be immunized properly. They will require it, most get two shots about 3 weeks apart anyway, now you'll have three, maybe four. No we have states telling us that a 3 year vaccine, needs to be repeated annually, and by the way, we are to stupid to do it yourself. I don't assume anybody is clueless, mean spirited and poorly coached, possibly. Just that a three hour border crossing, sitting with the druggies unloading their car, while little kids look through the window and wonder what you did, all because you don't have the proper form or clearances, is discouraging! I would never sneak across a border, which is why I let the airline do the transportation problem. The breeder should know this, and the airline will be glad to help them with requirements. Then you have to make arrangements to pick it up, at your local airport. Not cruising across Canada with a pup. which might be pleasant....but sometimes not, I guess I have traveled a lot, I really don't like the gestapo border crossings, even with Canada. Just giving a different perspective. 40 years ago I would have, after countless fishing trips and field trials up there, I let the airline handle the import, can't with horses and dogs. Small pup you bet.

If you are buying an pup, with it's puppy immunity, it takes maturity, around six months for the pup to be immunized properly. They will require it, most get two shots about 3 weeks apart anyway, now you'll have three, maybe four. No we have states telling us that a 3 year vaccine, needs to be repeated annually, and by the way, we are to stupid to do it yourself. I don't assume anybody is clueless, mean spirited and poorly coached, possibly. Just that a three hour border crossing, sitting with the druggies unloading their car, while little kids look through the window and wonder what you did, all because you don't have the proper form or clearances, is discouraging! I would never sneak across a border, which is why I let the airline do the transportation problem. The breeder should know this, and the airline will be glad to help them with requirements. Then you have to make arrangements to pick it up, at your local airport. Not cruising across Canada with a pup. which might be pleasant....but sometimes not, I guess I have traveled a lot, I really don't like the gestapo border crossings, even with Canada. Just giving a different perspective. 40 years ago I would have, after countless fishing trips and field trials up there, I let the airline handle the import, can't with horses and dogs. Small pup you bet.

This is still authentic frontier gibberish. The OP's question is about bringing over a 8 week old puppy.

Do you, or do you not, understand that the airlines will not take the pup, and the border patrol will not let the guy across the border, unless the pup is vaccinated 30 days prior and and 16 weeks old? Your opinions on vaccination schedules, puppy immunity, and the border patrol's anal probing not withstanding?

Last edited:
I have sent pups across. And brought them in. It entails some paperwork. They can be flown. Check with the right places to get the correct info. There was a bunch involved so I would not even want to fill you in. I forgot half of it 2 years later. Also getting AKC registration is a pain. Added cost. Check on that as well with fees. It would have to be something for me that I felt very strong about being better then what I can get here or have as far as dogs. Good luck, Ken

I imported a pup from Quebec in 2011. Health certificate, yes. First set of shots, yes, but did not include rabies. Dog was flown into Minneapolis. Maybe things have changed.
I have sold two pups to Canada and exactly the same. Both parties drove across the border with first set of shots, no rabies and health certificate, no problem. 2012 and 2013.

Getting a dog from Canada this winter. It will cross the border at 8 weeks. There are some forms you can sign effectively saying you will quarantine your dog until it can get shots. My breeder has done it before and is walking me through it.

I'd expect any reputable breeder to help you out.

I copied this from another and recalled this old thread and thought I would share it. Thank you to the person who wrote it.

mporting a pup from Canada at 8 wks old is not a problem.
4 steps to be taken.
Simply email the following information to (animalimports@cdc.gov.) They will answer your inquirey in 5 to 7 days by email.
1. Buyers name: Full name of the purchaser for the purpose of the CDC being able to identify buyer for the purpose of the confinement agreement. The agreement maybe required when checking the pup in at cargo. Or at a land border crossing. Include address Zip code ph. no. and email address.

2. Include pups colour, weight, any coat markings ie white on toes chest eg. The pups date of birth, sex, identification meaning microchip or tattoo numbers. For country of origin or most current location I would put there the pup presently resides with --name and full address of breeder including province and country and postal code. Ph. number and email address.

3. Ifo needed. The name of breeder or of other person taking the pup to whatever airport. The time leaving home and approx. time getting to airport. Full address and email if possible of the person taking the pup to the airport. The pup will fly out of whatever airport at whatever time. It will be flying (Name of Airline) leaving name of Airport and the time arriving at stops between destination at whatever airport times of landing and take off and arrival time at (airport of final destination)
Flight numbers and conformation numbers and any other pertinent info the airline gives you should be included.

4. Buyers Answer: I have been wanting to purchase a pup out of this breeding for some time. Explain health clearances, and include copies of pedigrees of both sir and dam. The reason that I am requesting confinement agreement is that the breeder will not keep a pup till it is 4 months old so that it can travel with a rabies shot. Pups date of birth and age when leaving kennel. I promise to live up to the guidelines of your confinement agreement. The pup will stay in my house (address) and anytime the pup leaves the house it will have a leash and collar and muzzle worn. The pup will be vaccinated at 12 wks. for rabies and I will follow your rules of confinement for the duration of the confinement agreement. I am really looking forward to getting a pup out of this litter and receiving a positive response for your office
All the best: Buyers signature.

The confinement agreement has to be in the hands of the person taking the pup across the border regardless of method of transportation.

I have had a couple of puppies shipped in from Canada via Delta Airlines. It was exactly the same procedure that I had flying in a puppy from Minnesota to Kansas City. A health certificate and a crate. Nothing with rabies vaccinations whatsoever.

I have had a couple of puppies shipped in from Canada via Delta Airlines. It was exactly the same procedure that I had flying in a puppy from Minnesota to Kansas City. A health certificate and a crate. Nothing with rabies vaccinations whatsoever.
I have the same experience with W2C. I guess it's an aligned practice between providers.

Back