I'm headed to Colby!

quanah labs

So after reading all the great reports about birds everywhere up in Kansas I've decided to give it a go.:D

We are leaving out Sunday afternoon and plan on hunting hard for about 5 days and I can not wait!!!

Going with me is my pup and my good friend, it will be both their first pheasant hunts so the pressure is on to at least find a few birds. We are going to hunt exclusively on WIHA all around Thomas county, making Colby our home base.

Its going to be a great trip no matter what the final bird count ends up being as long as I can find a large midwest steak and a few gallons of beer.

But dang it, I'd be lying if I said I don't care at all about getting a bird because I really want to bring a wild rooster home this year!

I've been prayin' for rain so expect a great hunt. :D

you won't find a good steak in colby guaranteed but the be hive on the noeth end of town has the coldest beer on tap in 3 counties for a steak you have to head to big ed's in bird city now thats a steak colby has Montana Mikes and there steaks are better left for the dogs to knaw on

This steak info is about the most usefull thing I've read on here. I was afraid that Montana mikes sucked, everything ive read said it was just some chain restaurant with below average overpriced steaks.

Thanks for the info guys ill defenitley head to bird city for dinner!

I got one!

I finally got one!

Quanah flushed it, I shot it,an she retrieved it, worked out just like it was supposed to. Weird

Got some good pictures ( I hope ) so ill post them on here when I get home.

congratulations! I've been watching your thread and hoping you have a good experience. To shoot a wild rooster this year is to truly accomplish something. I know I haven't done it yet this year. I hope your success continues.

Hope he was a Mounter!!!!! Good Work!!! Trophy bird this year no matter how big I guess!!!! Can't wait for your pic's!!!!:cheers:

Ya this guy deserves to be mounted, long colorful tail and pretty long spurs.

We are going to hit big eds tomorrow, after we get our limit;)

Ya this guy deserves to be mounted, long colorful tail and pretty long spurs.

We are going to hit big eds tomorrow, after we get our limit;)

Sneakin' up to Bird City???????? Hope it is Medium Rare!!!!!:cheers:

As you can see Big Ed's isn't real big on salad. They tend to focus on the BEEF!
Tuesday night might be pretty quiet. Friday and Sat the place is packed. Enjoy:cheers:

DSC_0406.jpg

Sneakin' up to Bird City???????? Hope it is Medium Rare!!!!!:cheers:
Of course, medium rare is the only way to have a steak!

Ya we are going to hunt our way towards bird city and end up at big eds.

Right before it got too dark to see we found a real promising spot to hunt first thing tomorrow morning. It's a 1 mile long 1/2 mile wide cut corn field with a over grown low spot running right thru the middle of it. It has plenty of cover, so I'm hoping its holding some birds. Every pheasant we have seen today was either in or close to corn, so we will see what happens.

Back