ice conditions

spc524

Is anybody seeing any ice fishermen yet on the lakes in NE SD?

Also, any recent experience with ice in and around the edges of cattails? I know the saying no ice is safe but I hope to get out there in a week and plan to hunt the cattails. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Also, any recent experience with ice in and around the edges of cattails? I know the saying no ice is safe but I hope to get out there in a week and plan to hunt the cattails. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

You have to be careful;). Even with sub-zero temps and blizzards I've busted through ice around cattails---mostly when there's muskrats hanging around. They seem to make areas of weak ice by placing lake weeds around a hole in the ice:confused:. Put some snow cover on those areas and through the ice you go.

Most of the time you'll be fine. Just stay cautious. Good luck.

Yes it's been cold and there is a fair amount of ice but I busted through over my boots in some cattails on Friday. Out in the open the ice is probably fine but I'd still be careful. There are guys out ice fishing in the area.

George,

Aren't you carrying more bulk than most, hence a higher risk for going through? Just kidding...good photo of you and the group at SDJIM's.

Back