I Think I'm Done For The Year

T

tOlzon

I went out for a bit yesterday, but there's just too much damn snow! It was over the dog's head, and over my waist in many places. After the warm spell we had, there's now a nice crust on top of the snow...not strong enough to hold me up, but perfect for the pheasants to run like crazy. 30 minutes was all I could handle.

I saw lots of birds in fields and near gravel roads, but not a whole lot of tracks in the snow near cover.

I may try one more trip out with some snowshoes on, but I'd likely leave the dog home. He was miserable.

With that wet snow/rain and then refreeze I wonder if the birds are having trouble scratching through to find waste grain?

Sadly, I think I'm done also. Has anybody heard if there are any areas in the Minnesota pheasant belt that didn't get a lot of snow? I don't remember a year in the past 10 that I've had to quit early. In fact I usually buy an Iowa license so I can hunt the extra week. I guess we were due for a year with early, heavy snow.

take a trip to kansas. there is still plenty of birds :D and only a little bit of snow on the ground

take a trip to kansas. there is still plenty of birds :D and only a little bit of snow on the ground

That would be nice. I was going to a couple trials in TX in a couple weeks for the 3 week stay and some training, but now I have too much work. I might go down to KS for the spring trials instead and train there. Not hunting but at least it keeps the dogs in shape and they have had plenty of wild birds already. But at least it would be warmer there. I need to start to get them in trial mode again, MN trials are coming soon and not alot of productive training here now. I did plow out an acre of the front 40 so I can do yard work at least. 20 below coming in a couple days, that dove thing in Meheco sounds pretty good. T,O I am still seeing plenty of birds here, and they are not that unexcessable. I will probably go once more this weekend.

Don't give up so early!! There are spots that hold them yet that are not too far from the road. Hopefully this weekend I will find a couple of them. There were 16 Roosters on the driveway to our City Compost Dump Yesterday!!!!!

I talked to a couple of guys that hunted south central Mn yesterday. They walked one cattail slough and hung it up for the day. The conditions were brutal with thigh deep crusted snow. They moved a few birds way out ahead, dogs also had a tough time. I think about the only thing left would be the farm groves if you can get permission, and even those would be tough without enough guys to cover the escape routes.

This area is not that bad, we have about a foot, light powder. You walk slower but it is still plenty managable. It was worse last year this time and we still did well. I might go to a couple small spots, but the rest of the time I will be putting out corn in areas where I get to hunt.

I think I will also be tapping out. Went coyote calling yesterday and the snow is deep in SESD. At least 12in everywhere you walk. Talked to a couple of guys who shot 5 roosters the day before, but they were road hunting (doesn't do much for me). I still have to break the news to the dogs.

I think I will also be tapping out. Went coyote calling yesterday and the snow is deep in SESD. At least 12in everywhere you walk. Talked to a couple of guys who shot 5 roosters the day before, but they were road hunting (doesn't do much for me). I still have to break the news to the dogs.
yes that is the hard part, the main reason I started trialing and training, It is like pheasant hunting all year round:thumbsup:. it is GREAT. I love the time with the dogs, as do they with me, "I think". In spaniel trials it is pretty darn close to wild bird hunting. Just not the long drug out walks. River has missed the whole year and she deserves 1 more bird as she has only got 1. I know a couple good spots along the tracks that you can still hunt here, the sleds have it packed down so it is easy walking. Tomorrow thats my mission, one more bird for River, just not the driveway birds.:D

Back