I ran across this pic and had to post

Bob Peters

20201216_200226.jpg
This was December of 2020. My family has a cabin in LeSueur county MN, and it is vacant for most of the winter. There are pheasants around, but not a hotspot. I don't care. I love to head there, unwind, and chase pheasants for a few days. If it's MN deer season I usually head to Iowa and hunt. Sometimes I drive and hunt around Jackson MN and visit a cousin who lives there. The cost of gas or non-res license never enters my mind. Really the cost of anything to do with pheasant hunting means nothing to me. I can't put a price on why I do it and what it gives to me. I remember a few years ago running into massive bird numbers on public land around fairmont and telling a buddy about it. His response, "I think everyone else has given up for the year. (the snow was really deep)" Anyways, here's the main point of my post. When I get down to the cabin hunting, there's a sense of tranquility I seldom find anywhere else. I never turn on the tv, I just start a fire, crack a beer to cut the dust, and spend the evenings petting the bird dog and staring into the fire. I guess I am a pretty simple man, but that keeps me occupied and happy. I am always amazed at how much our dogs give us, and wake up the next day and do it again.

Thanks for sharing, Bob. Pretty easy to identify with, & I'm a big sucker for pictures of really cute dogs. Hunting is my method of forgetting the rest & concentrating on me, my dog, a gorgeous piece of ground, & the things that live on & around it; hopefully a few pheasants. Sometimes the pheasants part turns out to be a goal never reached. But there's next time.

your dog's ready! what a beauty.

Last edited:
I just put in for the MN prairie chicken lotto, to see if I can get in a preseason tune-up for her(other than the game farm birds and the wood ducks).
What zone did you apply for Bob? I also applied this year but don't expect to get picked as I got picked last season.

Beautiful picture and beautiful dog! I'm really hoping I can get away for a couple hunts this year, just me and the dogs, with as little human interaction as possible.

What zone did you apply for Bob? I also applied this year but don't expect to get picked as I got picked last season.
I think 810? I applied last minute as it ends today. Last year I picked the southern most zone and no draw, this year I just moved north one zone😁. Then I called a buddy and told him to apply too. We didn't apply as a group, but I told him that if he draws and I don't, I'll go with just to walk the land.

I think 810? I applied last minute as it ends today. Last year I picked the southern most zone and no draw, this year I just moved north one zone😁. Then I called a buddy and told him to apply too. We didn't apply as a group, but I told him that if he draws and I don't, I'll go with just to walk the land.
Gotcha, I'm not real familiar with 810. I hunt a few zones north of there. My group seems to do well in our zone. I'd guess you'd get picked this year based on my past 10 years of experience applying. I seem to get picked every other year in my zone at least.

That makes me thirsty for a beer just thinking about it.

Back