I Never let the wife drive my Duramax

OKIEGunner

Okay I finally did it

I was coming home from a long hard day at work. My mind was dreaming somewhere between hunting pheasants or grouse in Montana or Wyoming. I stopped at the filling station to fill up the Chevy Duramax. Well I got down the road 8 miles and it started to shutdown on me.

Yep, that’s right, I finally did it! Seems the green handle pump I used 8 miles back wasn’t diesel fuel. Let’s see now, how long does it take to siphon 26 gallons of fuel, purge the lines, change the filter and prime the fuel system and fill her back up?

3 hours and 45 minutes and $125.00 greenbacks later I arrived home.
The Wife is now allowed to drive my truck.

Bad deal with the fuel.

What year is your truck and would you recommend it? I need to start looking for a replacement for my Ford Powerstoke 7.3 one of these days. I don't want to get into the DEF fluid.

Worked with a guy that did this with a tandem dump truck that had dual tanks and put 64 gallons in it.

Bad deal with the fuel.

What year is your truck and would you recommend it? I need to start looking for a replacement for my Ford Powerstoke 7.3 one of these days. I don't want to get into the DEF fluid.

Yeah but she runs like a champ, extra clean injector’s. No damage except for my pride.

I have a 2006 Duramax (6.6 LBZ) with a 6 speed Allison. Tough as all get out, pulls like a champ. Last year they made one that doesn’t require the new exhaust rejuvenator. I will not sell mine, if that means anything.:10sign:

Like you said, I’m not a fan of the new DEF systems either.

My work truck is a 2008 1 Ton Ford, lacks power gets a wopping 8-10 MPG at best not pulling a thing. Also use (2) 3/4 ton gas Dodge 2010 trucks, got lots of power but ride like an old stage coach with broken springs.

Worked with a guy that did this with a tandem dump truck that had dual tanks and put 64 gallons in it.

Ouch.....wonder if he is still burping Diesel like I am?

I have heard that some folks are having difficulties with DEF systems up north when it gets cold. DEF tank freezes and forces the truck to go into the limp mode. DEF tank on some trucks have a heater core to prevent this.

It was an old IH that had a carb. on it. It took awhile for it to run right after that.The owner of the truck was not happy about it either.

I have heard that some folks are having difficulties with DEF systems up north when it gets cold. DEF tank freezes and forces the truck to go into the limp mode. DEF tank on some trucks have a heater core to prevent this.

When the engine blew on my old John Deere and I was forced to get another tractor, the Case IH guys were suggesting I lease a new one from them with the 'savior' DEF fluid. Freezes at 12 degrees, but don't worry there is a tank heater and the line from the DEF tank, don't worry, as soon as you turn the engine off there is a purge system that will push the DEF fluid back into the heated tank. I ask myself, "Have I ever had any experiences with Murphy's Law?" A definite, "Yes." Plus the only building at the Ponderosa that stays above 12 degrees for storing the DEF tote is headquarters and sometimes it gets a little nippy in there and you need to pull up another dog, if I had another.

Leased an older John Deere instead.

Last edited:
Okay I finally did it

I was coming home from a long hard day at work. My mind was dreaming somewhere between hunting pheasants or grouse in Montana or Wyoming. I stopped at the filling station to fill up the Chevy Duramax. Well I got down the road 8 miles and it started to shutdown on me.

Yep, that’s right, I finally did it! Seems the green handle pump I used 8 miles back wasn’t diesel fuel. Let’s see now, how long does it take to siphon 26 gallons of fuel, purge the lines, change the filter and prime the fuel system and fill her back up?

3 hours and 45 minutes and $125.00 greenbacks later I arrived home.
The Wife is now allowed to drive my truck.

Ouch! Glad to hear there was no damage to the truck at least... :cheers:

On one of my trips to Montana last Fall I pulled up to the same old above ground diesel pump that I've been using for years. [only station in the area]
Just started pumping like usual. Noticed the price "no that can't be" :eek::confused: Stopped the pump, sure enough, unleaded:eek: Put in 2 1/2 gallons, filled the rest of the way with diesel. [they had moved the diesel pump]
Holy crap I was worried. Drove just around the area for a while, didn't want to get to far from help if I needed it. I couldn't tell any difference what so ever, so off I went into the back country with no problems.

I've been driving Chev Duramax trucks for a long time, been good trucks. I do a lot of heavy pulling with mine, lots of power. I average about 16 mpg on my trips, with the pop up topper on.

I have had two Ford diesels and one Dodge Cummins. I live in far northern Minnesota for much of the year, the rest in South Dakota where it gets real cold. I have seen -55 here at my place in Mn, Tower Mn had -60 that morning. -30 is a average morning here in late Dec. through middle of Feb. It's not uncommon for it to have a streak where it doesn't get above -20 in the day for a week to 10 days. The only diesel truck that reliably starts is the Dodge. At our place in South Dakota. the Dodge diesel's out number any other brand 10-1. The Cummins is hands down the best diesel motor in a pickup. My Fords, you need to plug them in if it gets below freezing. My Cummins has started down to -20 without being plugged in. They say they tested the new Cummins in Prudhoe Bay Alaska and the new diesels have started down to -40 without being plugged in. I have 300,000 on this Dodge and it runs as good as the day it was made..it's been trouble free. I can't say that for the Ford's. Water pumps, air pumps, intake gasket, several sets of glow plugs, batteries, glow plug solenoids, glow plug sensor's, Etc. They have worked all their life with a trailer hooked on them or a load in the box 99% of the time. The Dodge flat out out pulls the Ford hands down. Not even comparable. The Dodge wins in fuel mileage too. I can go over 500 miles on a tank in the Dodge. I'm lucky to get 300 on the Ford.

Back