I like this pic.

GSP

With pheasant numbers being what they are here in MI, I do a lot more grouse hunting than I do pheasant. Still, I have a soft spot for hunting pheasants on the family farm.

My pointer had a bit of an accident and is on the DL for now. Being short on dog power, I have taken the last few days to reconnect with my old shorthair and the joys of chasing the gawdy pheasant. :)

I like this pic.

PC010551.JPG

Nice rooster. I like the PF hat in there too;)

What happened to your pooch if you don't mind me asking:)

I'm pretty sure he took a puncture wound with a stick. Either that or just blunt trauma from running into a stump/log/rock, who knows... The dog runs like a banchee and is extremely powerful with little regard for his life. He's turning into a grouse finding machine though...

photo18.jpg

winston.jpg

That looks like one hurting pup. I hope he's OK. Two dogs ago, my setter bitch was the hardest hunting bird machine I've ever hunted behind. She once ran into a deadfall that was thankfully 4" in diameter [and not smaller to give a big puncture wound] that stopped her in her tracks. She yelped, then lept forwards and continued to hunt. She was limping when we got back to the truck, but was good to go the next day. It's amazing what punishment our dogs take in the field/woods. A nice looking side x side, too, by the way.

Me too! I like the pic, good job, thanks for sharing.:10sign:

Yah, he was a hurt'in unit. The swelling has subsided, but there's a helluva knot on the point of his shoulder and that doesn't seem to be going down. Kinda concerning. If it isn't decreasing in size, we're going back into the vet on Thurs.

I'm pretty bummed to be without him. We only have 13 days of grouse hunting season left before they shut us down for firearm deer season. And I have a four day weekend planned for the NLP before then. Just when the pup was starting to hit his stride... :( Thankfully, we have the month of Dec. My favorite time for grouse and pheasant anyway. Then they shut us down for the year. Then there's the Jan trip to KS just to eek out another week of the season. Ahhhh, life is good. :)

It is amazing the punishment these dogs will take. It's also a reminder that you never know what's going to happen each time you drop that tailgate and being a bird dog is a dangerous job.

Pretty good guess UB. You do have an affinity for the SXS's don't you? You will be disappointed to know though that it is a 20 and not a 16. It's my "new" grouse wand that is getting some double duty as a pheasant gun. Actually a Grulla 216RL. And while I don't know that I would carry it across the prairie, I will say that the nickel plated B&P 15/16, #6's have crushed the few cocks that I have shot with it. Even out of .01/.06 (cylinder'ish/IC) bbls. :D

"Grulla 216RL"

One fine looking SxS and is on the top of my list if I should so choose to add a SxS to my collection. I also like the Parker/Winchester reproduction guns.

Very nice pic. Thanks for sharing

State land Michigan bird?

State land Michigan bird?

Nope. I haven't shot a state land phz since 2007. My brother has taken over the family farm and has allowed me to do a little bit of habitat management (mostly buffer strips and wet lands) that has resulted in enough birds for me to play around with.

My first sxs was/is a Grulla 12. My dad actually bought it in Spain at my request in 1963. I shot it for 37 years and it is in need of a re-working. Also M/F and my 16 and 20's are all IC/M. Like the lighter weight of my 16s and
20s. Any of the better Spanish guns are a pleasure to own Arizagbala, Arrieta, Grulla AYA and perhaps a few others.

Nope. I haven't shot a state land phz since 2007. My brother has taken over the family farm and has allowed me to do a little bit of habitat management (mostly buffer strips and wet lands) that has resulted in enough birds for me to play around with.

After I posted I seen where you said it was taken at the family farm. I guess I just wishfull thinking.

Gongrats though and nice sxs. :thumbsup:

UB, do you have any idea what your dad paid for that Grulla in 1963? I'm afraid to even guess... One thing's for sure, I'd be willing to bet that gun has appreciated. The good 'ole days of "affordable" Spanish doubles are all but gone. And the current global economic crisis isn't doing anything to help the matter.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Back