I hate it when.....

519vx

Trying to burn up some vacation before year end so I took the morning off and took both dogs to my favorite PHG. Conditions weren't good, warm and wet with light rain.

Both dogs were game on today. They hunted as well as I've ever seen them hunt together. They covered open weed fields well and with minimal commands, went into the thickest willow thickets and worked them hard. I had a great time just watching them work.

But....we never flushed a bird. They hunted hard and well and sure deserved one, but that's how it goes sometimes. :rolleyes:

How did Arnold say it.... "We'll be baaaaack". :)

It's even worse when you see numerous birds the day before and you return to a pheasant ghost town the next day.

It happens to the best of them. Having a dog that will hunt all day without a bird contact and never let up is something special though.

Trying to burn up some vacation before year end so I took the morning off and took both dogs to my favorite PHG. Conditions weren't good, warm and wet with light rain.

Both dogs were game on today. They hunted as well as I've ever seen them hunt together. They covered open weed fields well and with minimal commands, went into the thickest willow thickets and worked them hard. I had a great time just watching them work.

But....we never flushed a bird. They hunted hard and well and sure deserved one, but that's how it goes sometimes. :rolleyes:

Conditions where good light rain the dogs should have had great sent condition. You just didn't have any birds in the area you were hunting. It happens to all of us. Bet you had a better day hunting than working.:)

<wrong thread>

heck yea..you were off work and got to take the dogs for a run...yes its frustrating when you don't find birds.....but got to spend some time in the field.

least you tried :thumbsup:

the weather has sure been miserable. I went out tuesday in the cold rainy fog and was rewarded with nothing more than wet pants and a smelly dog LOL!

big cool down working its way in right now! sure was windy when I left work this morning. talking a chance of a snowstorm on sunday. not sure what to think about that. the snowmobiler in me is excited, but i really want to keep hunting.

Getting out is the most important.. There are only so many days we are granted on this earth. No one has any guarantees when our card gets pulled. Same with the dogs. When you truly think about it, the hunting season is extremely short for the amount of time we have with our hunting dogs. If I didnt hunt, Id still have dogs, but it would probably be a Yorkshire Terrier instead of 2 or 3 hunting breeds..

Youve had a good season so far 519. You were due.. I thought it was going to be me last Sunday, and I was truly OK with it, and then, the pheasant Gods blessed me again.. Actually, I had my skunk day already written in my head about 11 am on Sunday ;)

Back