Hutchinson, KS

you beleive that enough to not hunt the NE- great- hope everyone who is an internet surfer is paying attention-

there are no birds north of Atchison- the whole north eastern part of Kansas is void of birds- waste of time- not worth even driving 200 miles close

Obviously it is what it is and won't be what it was last year but of course there will be birds still. Aren't you the guy that tried to quit this site in the past? Chill out there guy :confused:

right-

couple weeks ago I was a bit west of Valley Falls- put the Britt's on the ground where I used to hunt

Last season NE Kansas, the absolute worst I have ever seen anywhere. Walk and hunt all day, get a shot or two at pheasants and maybe a small covey or two of quail. All mature birds last year, vitually no reproduction of young birds at all. I have reports of better reproduction this last spring, but it's going to take some time to recover to even average numbers. If you have to travel very far, I'd pick a different area. I continue because I have access to lots of ground in NE Kans. and SE. Neb., I have no illusions and low expectations, and it's reasonablly close.

Traveling from central Iowa.

The ground lined up has hundreds if not thousands of CRP, ag near by, water, and so on. This, coupled with zero hunting pressure and positive reports from last year, I can't imagine it's as bad as I'm reading here.

We'll find out. :)

Thanks for weighing in nonetheless. I appreciate the local perspective.

The ground lined up has hundreds if not thousands of CRP, ag near by, water, and so on. This, coupled with zero hunting pressure and positive reports from last year, I can't imagine it's as bad as I'm reading here.

really- hundreds/thousands of acreas of CRP- zero hunting pressure- what county- dream world

really- hundreds/thousands of acreas of CRP- zero hunting pressure- what county- dream world

Confirmed yesterday via first hand knowledge from hunting the ground last year. "Thousands of private acres."

Didn't ask the county, but will do so.

I heard that kansas imported a kazillion birds from SD and stocked every county in the state. From what i hear you can just reach down and grab them by the neck every 50 steps or so.

That be said. i understand the heaviest stocking was around Manhattan...... sorry steve......and V

Last edited:

Dream world....I don't know why that comment was necessary. My guess is you don't say things like that to a guy's face.

I have a great deal of access in a part of the state nobody else wants to hunt.....it is where I prefer to spend my hunting hours. I'd love to have the opportunity you have in Hutch, simply to add to my collection. A good mix of CRP and crop land, you're going to do just fine. Oh wait, were you expecting to see 1,000 bird flushes? If you were, the area sucks as bad as these guys are telling you. I get the feeling someone is protecting their favorite honey holes. Either that or they think you mean the city parkds around Hutch :rolleyes: Ignore Shadow's rib pokes.

This year ain't gonna be great anywhere. On an average year, I could shoot a limit "around" Hutch in an honest day's hunt. However, I'd most likely end the day at 2pm, with 6 quail and 2 roosters. Those are the best of days:cheers:

Last edited:
Well I am certainly not protecting any honey holes. I have not had a honey hole near hutch since about 2003. Hutch is where I am from, Its where many of my friends farm, and where my family has land. Not one of them has said anything positive about the upcoming pheasant and quail season. No one is seeing birds in amounts anywhere close to a "normal" year. I am not saying there is none, but dont plan on it being good. I am just trying to give a guy on UJ some reliable advice. At the same time I certainly do not condone guys for trying to hide their spots on here. If these conversations were only available to UJ members it would be different, but every guy with a 12 gauge, a lab, and internet connection can see where we are talking about. If you want to tell everyone how great the hunting is in your area that is fine by me, if you own a business that caters to hunters then talk it up even more. We all love out-of-state money coming in to our pockets. But do not bash guys who are trying to tone down expectations. There is a lot of hyperbole coming from both sides on this issue. My guess is that this fellow from Iowa would have preferred a few straight answers about hunting around hutch and could have done without the arguing. My 23 cents.

p.s. If you do come down to hutch Skaets on Main st is a good greasy breakfast joint to hit up. and for lunch you cant beat Roys BBQ its on the west side of town.

Well I am certainly not protecting any honey holes. I have not had a honey hole near hutch since about 2003. Hutch is where I am from, Its where many of my friends farm, and where my family has land. Not one of them has said anything positive about the upcoming pheasant and quail season. No one is seeing birds in amounts anywhere close to a "normal" year. I am not saying there is none, but dont plan on it being good. I am just trying to give a guy on UJ some reliable advice. At the same time I certainly do not condone guys for trying to hide their spots on here. If these conversations were only available to UJ members it would be different, but every guy with a 12 gauge, a lab, and internet connection can see where we are talking about. If you want to tell everyone how great the hunting is in your area that is fine by me, if you own a business that caters to hunters then talk it up even more. We all love out-of-state money coming in to our pockets. But do not bash guys who are trying to tone down expectations. QUOTE]

No, not trying to bash down anyone for the toning down of expectations. My point to the OP was that I'd still take the trip and make the contacts. This year is going to be difficult. If it's a one-time deal, I wouldn't recommend going. If he's wanting to establish a relationship with these contacts, this would be a good year to do so. Oh, my other point was only that this area is worth having some access in from year to year.

Last edited:
Thanks guys . . . and no worries, I've been around long enough not to get riled up by a back handed remark or two on a forum thread.

"6 quail and 2 roosters" . . . that would be incredible! I don't recall stating my expectations, as some have alluded to, but I'll go on record now as saying I'd be more than happy with such a day's bounty.

Despite dramatically receding pheasant numbers here in Iowa, my vizsla and I still do quite well. I envision similar this year, but plan to put in the miles. I can, and will if necessary, do the same in KS.

I'll be in your fine state in January, and given any level of success, imagine this will be the first of many annual trips.

I appreciate the restaurant advice too. If in that area, I'll do my best to hit them up.

Here's hoping you have a great hunt and a great time in Kansas.

I heard that kansas imported a kazillion birds from SD and stocked every county in the state. From what i hear you can just reach down and grab them by the neck every 50 steps or so.

That be said. i understand the heaviest stocking was around Manhattan...... sorry steve......and V

What a hoot! lol

Shooters Supply is also a good gun shop to visit. They normally have a decent selection of used shotguns and rifles that are actually used for hunting purposes.

My favorite is Smokey Valley Shooting Sports in Lindsborg if you're up for the drive.

Im sure you'll have fun, but as others have said, our summer was horrible. I wouldnt go in expecting much. On the bright side, maybe all the grazing and thin CRP will help the quail next year.

If you're in the sand hills Im sure you'll have some good hunts. Maybe even find a prairie chicken or two.

FYI - looks like we've ground to hunt in both Reno and Rice counties.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Since this season is bound to be slow in the fields, make a solid connection with your new contacts by spending an extra hour at dinner or having a few :cheers: I'd be considering this an "investment" trip. An opportunity to make new friendships that will last a lifetime and even come with an additional reward.

Back