Hutchinson, KS

nstric

Hello all -

Iowa resident here, pheasant enthusiast. I was recently extended invitation to come hunt the Hutchinson area mid January, supposedly in fields not to have been hunted up until then. Can anyone comment on the general pheasant population in that area?

Thanks much!

Hello all -

Iowa resident here, pheasant enthusiast. I was recently extended invitation to come hunt the Hutchinson area mid January, supposedly in fields not to have been hunted up until then. Can anyone comment on the general pheasant population in that area?

Thanks much!

I hunt the area 4 or 5 times a year and we usually get into some decent bird numbers. You'll find quail along with pheasant which makes for some exciting hunting. I really like the cover in that area, not too short, not too tall, just right.

Hello all -

Thanks much!

I wouldn't pass it up;)

I hunt the area 4 or 5 times a year and we usually get into some decent bird numbers. You'll find quail along with pheasant which makes for some exciting hunting. I really like the cover in that area, not too short, not too tall, just right.

Yes, you're exactly correct about the quail. We were told of high numbers of quail were taken last year, and assumption is the same should ring true this year. More quail than pheasants, perhaps.

Hello all -

Thanks much!

You'll probably be disappointed.

the area around Hutch is not prime bird country, never has been. you could defy the odds and shoot some birds, but the area attracts littlle attention.

the area around Hutch is not prime bird country, never has been. you could defy the odds and shoot some birds, but the area attracts littlle attention.

This is why.

some look at it as the line where the quail and pheasant hunting is decent-
Hutchison- 40 years I've felt stay way east of there or way west of there

not real good country as is posted above

I live in Hutch and have had the pup out and also dove hunting and driving the back roads. I have seen one pheasant this year the whole time out. Have seen a few quail but not like usual. Like others have stated not a good year to be hunting in this area.

should be carefull- everyone is checking and asking on all forums- you know- pheasant season is coming- they might think we are lying so as to keep everyone from coming

you know the best place to hunt is in the NE corner of this state

Last edited:
Pheasant hunting opportunities are extremely limited this year in Kansas. Help us please by moving on to other states. We don't need the extra pressure this year. PM me if you would like to know more...

Thank you. :cheers:

Hello all -

Thanks much!

You're kinda general as far as Hutchinson area, but some decent hunting can be found depending on what direction you go. For all we know guys, he means west on Hwy 50 in the Sand Hills.

That being said, I would not expect much due to the drought and extreme heat we had this year. Set the record for # of triple digit days this year. Weather is much better now, but the weeds didnt even want to grow this summer.

Im pushing 32 and have lived here most of my life, never been through a summer like this. Pretty much a lack of moisture going back to last fall. Not much to speak of.

I would at least do a little more homework on the type of cover/fields you'd be hunting. If its not in the sandhills with any irrigation around you may want to skip the trip even though it may have not had much pressure. Also ask about the milo crop. The conditions most places weren't very conducive to any milo production.

you know the best place to hunt is in the NE corner of this state[/QUOTE]

If you hunt anything else but upland birds your ok in N.E. KS. I have not seen a rooster in NE KS in 2 yrs and Quail numbers are down too.
SD or NE are your places this year.

Good luck to all!
Kick'em up! (If you can find them)

i would not waste the gas money unless you just want to spend time with the guys who invited you. I will hunt around hutch but only because thats where I grew up and where my hunting buddies live. I doubt i will carry more than 5 shells into the field.... yeah it really is that bad.

you know the best place to hunt is in the NE corner of this state

If you hunt anything else but upland birds your ok in N.E. KS. I have not seen a rooster in NE KS in 2 yrs and Quail numbers are down too.
SD or NE are your places this year.

Good luck to all!
Kick'em up! (If you can find them)[/QUOTE]

you saying there are no pheasants up there is rediculious
I have a farmer freind who owns a lot of ground north of Atchison-
you telling me I can't find pheasants-
you care to come walk with me- you leave your gun in the vehicle- odds please

you beleive that enough to not hunt the NE- great- hope everyone who is an internet surfer is paying attention-

there are no birds north of Atchison- the whole north eastern part of Kansas is void of birds- waste of time- not worth even driving 200 miles close

Back