Hunting With A Backpack

AKSkeeter

I hunt upland with a pack instead of a vest.
I like a big multi-day pack, easier on my lower back and I like to carry lots of water and lots of gear.
Granite Gear 60 liter pack weighing 2.2 pounds.
I've used the pack to take out antler sheds, even an injured dog.
Been shooting shotguns with a backpack for 40 years...

It would be a big change in conditions hunting with you compared to Iowa. I have never hunted where I felt the need to bring any water for myself or much of any additional gear. A couple hundred acres is about as big of a parcel as I find here. The conditions/habitat we all hunt pheasants in are wildly different. My hunting is almost urban compared to what others hunt! I am likely never more than a mile from someone's residence. when hunting here.

I’m same as Remy. I’ve never been more than a mile from the truck on pheasants, usually never more than a half mile. No need to carry water. Someday I’ll hunt Montana or the mountains for grouse and chukar. Someday….

I did dove hunt last year with a cheap backpack. Carried my shells, water (95 degree day) and a couple decoys and a mojo. Never put the decoys or mojo out, did most of my shooting with the pack on.

I run a strap vest which works well. For water those plastic bladders are awesome. As you run out of water they pack smaller so in theory you replace that water volume with birds in the big pouch. Pretty small gear pack but I like minimalist approach so I can move quicker.

It would be a big change in conditions hunting with you compared to Iowa. I have never hunted where I felt the need to bring any water for myself or much of any additional gear. A couple hundred acres is about as big of a parcel as I find here. The conditions/habitat we all hunt pheasants in are wildly different. My hunting is almost urban compared to what others hunt! I am likely never more than a mile from someone's residence. when hunting here.
I'm probably even more so what you stated where I hunt. I'm basically in sights of my truck the whole time I hunt and it takes me an hour or less to hunt pieces here in MN. No reason to carry extra gear or a back pack.

That surprises me.
Most of my best spots in Montana it is at least a half hour hike away from the truck
before I even release the dog to start hunting.
I avoid any area within sight of a road or parking lot.
Even where we hunt in western North Dakota, our best spots are quite the hike to get to.

I hunt upland with a pack instead of a vest.
I like a big multi-day pack, easier on my lower back and I like to carry lots of water and lots of gear.
Granite Gear 60 liter pack weighing 2.2 pounds.
I've used the pack to take out antler sheds, even an injured dog.
Been shooting shotguns with a backpack for 40 years...
That surprises me.
Most of my best spots in Montana it is at least a half hour hike away from the truck
before I even release the dog to start hunting.
I avoid any area within sight of a road or parking lot.
Even where we hunt in western North Dakota, our best spots are quite the hike to get to.
Me too!

I hunt every weekday during the Montana season since I am retired.
I hunt with a pack instead of vest for many reasons.
IMG_0045.JPG
I like Granite Gear Crown 60---60 liters capacity, 2.2 pounds, and has lasted a decade of hunting.
I've been shooting with a pack on for 40+ years, so it is easy for me.

For pants, I hunt lots of wet cattails and like Grundens Commercial rain pants at $99.

For a shell/raincoat I like Simms which is often thought of as only a wader company,
but they also make quality rain gear.

When hunting hawthorn/briar country, I like Filson tin chaps.
Mine are over 40 years old and still going strong.

For water, I simply re-use soda bottles...a big 2-liter bottle for hot September hunts
and smaller 12-oz bottles for cooler/shorter hunts. Lightweight and essentially free.
For a dog bowl I simply use a plastic bowl.

The other item I always carry are Garmin Inreach for emergency text messaging, a first aid kit,
a compass, bear spray, 2 working headlamps.

I use the Tenzing BV16 vest.....packs alot of gear. I always like to be prepared since I hunt alone often.
I typically carry first aid for both canine and human....from simple needs up to needs to stop bleeding from trauma/gun shots. I also carry protein bars, 3 different means of fire starting, 2 emergency space blankets, compass, and headlamp. I also utilize my camelback which slides in the pack. I also pack 2 water bottles for the dog. These are filled with Kinetic Hydro30K.
If I'm a bit further off the grid I will pack my Katadyn Hiker filter.
For instance, this last week I was up in northern Wisconsin in the national forest grouse hunting.....park, hike a old fire lane, snowmobile trail or such. Depending on which way, could be a long way in.
I figure my gear will buy me 72 hours food/water right up front if I have to hunker down. Just have to know how to pack. Years of packing in to the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota makes one pretty efficient at what is and isn't necessary and how to pack it!
Sounds like too much.....but I'm just that guy! LOL!

I use the Tenzing BV16 vest.....packs alot of gear. I always like to be prepared since I hunt alone often.
I typically carry first aid for both canine and human....from simple needs up to needs to stop bleeding from trauma/gun shots. I also carry protein bars, 3 different means of fire starting, 2 emergency space blankets, compass, and headlamp. I also utilize my camelback which slides in the pack. I also pack 2 water bottles for the dog. These are filled with Kinetic Hydro30K.
For instance, this last week I was up in northern Wisconsin in the national forest grouse hunting.....park, hike a old fire lane, snowmobile trail or such. Depending on which way, could be a long way in.
I figure my gear will buy me 72 hours food/water right up front if I have to hunker down. Just have to know how to pack. Years of packing in to the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota makes one pretty efficient at what is and isn't necessary and how to pack it!
Great list.
I would add an InReach mini for emergency texting, a gps app such as ONX, GaiaGPS, Bear Spray, a spare headlamp, paracord.

You fellas are hunting where it becomes "extreme pheasant hunting". All that for 3 birds is dedication for sure. Location sure makes things different where ever you are hunting.

I carry lots of water, dry as a popcorn fart this year in SD. It’s for the dogs, mostly. In ND, in Sept, we’re near lots of water…thank god. Most of my spots I can shoot birds in 5 minutes…but we may go fairly long, especially in ND….

That's a lot for bird hunting.

Great list.
I would add an InReach mini for emergency texting, a gps app such as ONX, GaiaGPS, Bear Spray, a spare headlamp, paracord.
I do have OnX and use that for my tracks, sharing location and such with wife or who I leave my hunt/hike plan with. I also carry 2 cell phones, one is for work and the location/find my phone app is always active through my IT department. Paracord is a good idea, definitely something to add for sure!

The gear I/we carry has nothing to do with "I'm only hunting birds" or such. It's for emergencies, which can happen anytime, anyplace to anyone. It's stuff that could save my life or my dog's life.....it could also be stuff that saves "your" life or "your" dog's life if I'd come across "you" and "you" are experiencing an emergency.
Injuries happen, even to the best of us......and the more time we spend doing these things, the more the odds are that something is going to happen increases.
Monday I was up in the middle of nowhere grouse hunting, dog was birdy in evergreen thickets so I moved down the willow swale to find an opening. Well I'm watching for birds and not my steps, my feet go out from underneath me on a snow covered log I didn't see or feel as I stepped, down I go....could have been bad. I'm about a mile or so from the truck and a hundred yards or so off of a trail. Temperature was low teens with a brisk wind, I actually was dressed a bit heavy cause I could feel sweat on my back.....if that injury happens, how long until help arrives? How long until shock starts setting in? How long till I start getting cold cause I was sweating and can't mive now to stay warm? What if weather moves in before help gets there?
It's all about risk mitigation and increasing the odds. It maybe adds an extra 5 pounds to my kit. Well worth it to me.

I carry more items for the dogs as I figure their first kit will work on me until I get back to the truck where I have trama kits. I figure what is going to take me out will be something more along the lines of a heart attack. My fear there is how long before I'm found.....one of the cons of hunting solo. I do carry more items when grouse hunting as the potential to get lost is greater.

Agree, the majority of it is universal. About the only "specific" items I carry for me are 2 C.A.T. tourniquets.....too big to be used on the dog. But I do carry 1 TacMed K9 tourniquet for him. I also have 4 packets of QuikClot combat gauze (non heat generating variation).
Again, the items take up little room and add little weight.

Last edited:
Agree, the majority of it is universal. About the only "specific" items I carry for me are 2 C.A.T. tourniquets.....too big to be used on the dog. But I do carry 1 TacMed K9 tourniquet for him. I also have 4 packets of QuikClot combat gauze (non heat generating variation).
Again, the items take up little room and add little weight.
Not fancy but I have very large zip ties to help with conibear traps but can also double as make shift tourniquet. In grouse wood have a wooden bit to aid for porches and always 550 cord.

The gear I/we carry has nothing to do with "I'm only hunting birds" or such. It's for emergencies, which can happen anytime, anyplace to anyone. It's stuff that could save my life or my dog's life.....it could also be stuff that saves "your" life or "your" dog's life if I'd come across "you" and "you" are experiencing an emergency.
Injuries happen, even to the best of us......and the more time we spend doing these things, the more the odds are that something is going to happen increases.
Monday I was up in the middle of nowhere grouse hunting, dog was birdy in evergreen thickets so I moved down the willow swale to find an opening. Well I'm watching for birds and not my steps, my feet go out from underneath me on a snow covered log I didn't see or feel as I stepped, down I go....could have been bad. I'm about a mile or so from the truck and a hundred yards or so off of a trail. Temperature was low teens with a brisk wind, I actually was dressed a bit heavy cause I could feel sweat on my back.....if that injury happens, how long until help arrives? How long until shock starts setting in? How long till I start getting cold cause I was sweating and can't mive now to stay warm? What if weather moves in before help gets there?
It's all about risk mitigation and increasing the odds. It maybe adds an extra 5 pounds to my kit. Well worth it to me.
I slipped on ice crossing an irrigation ditch 2 days ago.Busted my ass, and broke through the ice.Luckily I didn't bust up my gun,and the water was only 8 inches.I still got wet, and I was embarrassed. Deep water, and I could have drowned.

I slipped on ice crossing an irrigation ditch 2 days ago.Busted my ass, and broke through the ice.Luckily I didn't bust up my gun,and the water was only 8 inches.I still got wet, and I was embarrassed. Deep water, and I could have drowned.
Last year I slipped on a icy mountainside and cracked the stock on my 40 year old Citori.
cracked_stock.jpg
I found a replacement stock thru Midwest Gunworks. . .
S & S in Polson glass bedded the new stock to the receiver and I was happy with their work.

Back