Hunting the Rez

gzamo

Has anybody read the last issue of Hunting the Rez magazine? I guess things are looking really good for pheasant hunting on the lower brule indian rez lots of birds!! I read it on-line just google Hunting the Rez magazine and follow the links!!!

Has anybody read the last issue of Hunting the Rez magazine? I guess things are looking really good for pheasant hunting on the lower brule indian rez lots of birds!! I read it on-line just google Hunting the Rez magazine and follow the links!!!

i would be cautious, SD pheasant pop. is down 42% statewide this year, i can't imagine they would have anymore birds than anywhere else.

I have heard some good things about the reservations as far as hunting. I know they also have made great effort in the last 20 years to produce excellent habitat on some and promote the resource. Problems I've heard are related to harrasment, theft, and rape. Remember you are not technically in the US and local law enforcement will not intercede on your behalf. You will have to rely upon the tribal police. My point is I have would probably go myself or with friends, but not with my teenage daughters or wife. I suspect the bird population to hold up on the central river reservations. Remember your North or South Dakota license is of no value, you need a tribal license, and not all land within the boundries are open without permission. Good news the licenses are annual, not 10 day, so you can go back a few times without licensing again.

i've tried the reservation hunts before and like the previous post said you need a tribal license. they do a good job with thier land but its a headache trying to figure out what is tribal and what isn't. i don't know about the whole rape thing but i will say it can be descent if you can figure it out. the neastern reservation has some fantastic land but not many birds. it might be worth your time to try it if you have nothing else to hunt. But i would rather go out in december when pressure is way down and knock on doors. best of luck.

When we hunted Cheyenne River Reservation we hired a guide to drive around with us for a few hours and show us spots. It costed us $50 but put us on birds on land we knew was tribal.

drove thru the sisseton rez area saturday morning. talked to some farmer friends in the area and they are concerned about the bird numbers. they said the deer came thru, turkey's did ok, waterfowl looks great but phez numbers are way down. i asked if they thought it was somewhat exagerated, being 75% down. They said that seems about right. ouch. its not a rich area to begin with when it comes to phez numbers but as far as the rez hunting goes, try the west river area's. we need a couple of good winters. another winter like the past 2 and we are in big trouble. best of luck to everyone this year.

Back