hunting styles

I Don't Want a Citation

Just curious Brit, couldn't find that reg. Looked under 115-3-1, but it doesn't mention anything about that. Don't know why it would be illegal unless you were riding on the combine? Sure would not put my dog out in that situation. Always wanted to try the european hunt and the combine hunt , just to experience the different styles. I know some of you guys may not approve, but I would like to make my own judgement!

I have no moral qualms about hunting near an operating combine. I just don't want a citation!

As for the regulation, a combine is not a piece of equipment that is authorized for use in hunting pheasants. The regulation you cited lists all the equipment that is allowed.

Last edited:
Leg Hunting

A pheasant swami once said, "You don't get pheasants with your gun; you get them with your legs." I would say our hunting style is the "leg style." We have walked up to nine miles on a Saturday and seven or eight on a Sunday in a given weekend. For me, the exercise and just having the wherewithal to do that makes me feel very alive despite being an older guy. I hunt mostly on the high plains of western Kansas. It's big country and a good set of legs comes in handy. We are just four, five, or six of us, so we seldom block. We have dogs that point so we just try to walk a line quietly and let the dogs do the rest. At the end of the last field after the guns are put away, we pass around a bottle of bourbon to toast the sunset and make our legs feel better.

Last edited:
Ranging Brittanys

Most of my pheasant hunting is done alone or with 1 or 2 other guys. I much prefer small groups for my style of hunting. And I prefer to hunt CRP with my Brittanys. Especially if I'm by myself, and in a large CRP field, I let my dogs run quite wide, probably out to 100 yards or more. This allows them to cover a lot more ground and they will hold point until I get there. Oh sure, on occasion they bump a rooster out of range but I still get more than if I kept them in close.

I hunt a big CRP field the same way: Let the dog go as long as I can see him. Once late on a Sunday as I was putting about the 15th mile on my legs for the weekend, my dog went on point about 150 yards away. Usually I hasten to the point, but I just didn't have the legs that day so I slowly ambled over. The dog stayed locked and the bird stayed put. It was a cock and I put in the bag. I will always remember this, a great moment with my gone dog, Sport.

Last edited:
Yup, spend the day out in the BIG country letting the dog work. End up with a couple birds, fry some up. Then spend the night on the prairie taking in the sounds and the whole adventure. Can't wait, mid Sept.:cheers:

You Know How to Hunt

Yup, spend the day out in the BIG country letting the dog work. End up with a couple birds, fry some up. Then spend the night on the prairie taking in the sounds and the whole adventure. Can't wait, mid Sept.:cheers:

You have this bird hunting thing all figured out.

thx

thank you one and all for sharing your hunting styles. ive done almost all talked about on this thread. i agree with most of you. i have not done the coors beer thing:eek: i have to agree that i like smaller groups of hunters and two or three dogs. i like walking for miles and seeing what ever wildlife you kick up, pheasants are a bonus, walking in the country is better than working , all day long and twice on sunday:D

I should have added that I have a few dogs at my disposal, so I too like to swap them out, if the day goes good, then the next dog gets to go the next time. But if I have bad luck, bad shots, or alot of hard work for the dog etc. I will change em out and let another work. Only do I run more then one if I have a couple people with.

Back