Hunting Preserve

I was there once 2 years ago. I don't remember a lot about the cover I think the field we were in was a real mixed bag, some corn, some swamp grass, and a little overgrown pasture. Not much really sticks out in my memory. Wish I could help more.

I have been there a few times but only in the fall never in after snow fall. The cover is good lots of viarity swamp, Heavy grasses some fields woods ect. I like working with them pretty easy to get along with. Always a few extra birds hiding in the swamps.

Rocky Did you go to Glenderado??
what was it like with the snow?

Its a decent place to go. Very resonable bird prices and the guys that run it are quite nice. Most of the time you can find a few scratch birds and I think they are $7. Their cover is pretty good, but I am not sure how well it has held up to all of the snow this winter.

Went to the preserve yesterday with my dad and buddy so i could show them the work i have put in with "GUS" my 18month old Gsp we bought 9 pheasants got 9 solid pionts and 9 some how ended in are bag!:thumbsup:He worked the switch grass we hunted like a vet. slow and steady and held some pionts that looked like he should have been on Tv!A little bit of time can go along way with your dog in the feild!Now i dont think my dad or buddy want to hunt behind anyone they know's dog before mine hope he can show me the same skill in the feild this fall!p.s. if you cant tell i am on cloud 9 first pionter i have had and he was really good!

Went to the preserve yesterday with my dad and buddy so i could show them the work i have put in with "GUS" my 18month old Gsp we bought 9 pheasants got 9 solid pionts and 9 some how ended in are bag!:thumbsup:He worked the switch grass we hunted like a vet. slow and steady and held some pionts that looked like he should have been on Tv!A little bit of time can go along way with your dog in the feild!Now i dont think my dad or buddy want to hunt behind anyone they know's dog before mine hope he can show me the same skill in the feild this fall!p.s. if you cant tell i am on cloud 9 first pionter i have had and he was really good!

I love the GSPs!!! its amazing how a dog points with NO training to POINT.

youre lucky that your dog points. Some unforunate hunters dont see their GSP point til they are 3-4 years old. some ive heard point at 7months old and now your story, 18 months old!

youre gonna have a long journey of wonderful hunts. great story to share!

when I first wanted a gun dog, first thing came to my mind was a Black Lab. I've had 2 of them. One was given to me and was a 11 year old guide dog. he lived to be 14 so i got 3 awesome years out of him, and he fathered my next black lab. My new lab then ran behind my old lab for a year. after Abe (the old lab) died, Hilton (new lab) stepped in and took over as he was trained to do and i did very little training as he knew.

however, when my anti-dog lover neighbor ran over Hilton, I was set to get another lab, someone mentioned of a GSP and had one last one that no one has bought yet. So I check it out. I was skeptical of buying a dog i know nothing of. I did my research on them. So theres always a first for everything. so i went, he was a beautiful brown dog with white marking on his chest. He needed a herina repair, so the breeder and I made an agreement, He said i could have the dog for free if i took him in for a hernia repair (70.00) and thats what i got of this dog.

One thing i did observe was when i was at the breeder's house, the breeder had to put the mother in the kennel as she is very protective of her master and family. the father was friendly. when Remington (my GSP) mother was in the kennel, the puppy paid no attention to us (me and my wife) and was set on to get his mother out of the kennel. Believe it or not, he knew what locked the kennel door at 3 months old. but he didnt know you had to slide it to the left to unlock it. Remington sat there trying to get his mother out. smart dog!

now ive owned a Black Lab, and a Pointer. I will never select another dog over a Pointer. you chose a great dog. Pointing is in their blood. they do it regardless what field they are used for.

Last edited:
GustavDaGSP
Good for you there is nothing better then a fine bird dog and spending the day with your father. :thumbsup:

goldeneye-i agree dad dog a buddy what a good day:thumbsup: i am still talking to people at work about it 2 days later i think they think i am crazy or something:laugh: but when you have a day like i did and im not saying my dog is better than anyone else's dog but he performed like a champ and if i keep on the training with him i think he could be a dog that makes my hunting even more of a success for years to come!:cheers:

GustavDaGSP
I can tell by your post you are still on cloud nine. :thumbsup:
Keep up with your training.
They all think were cazy thats why the have this hunting form for people like us:cheers:

Back