Hunting Jack Rabbits with a Golden Eagle

chase0109

Hi,

I?m new to the forum and this is my first post. I live in Minnesota and spend a lot of time hunting SW Kansas for Black tail Jackrabbits. I don?t do it with a gun, but with my Golden Eagle (Dexter) via the art of falconry. My core hunting area is around Sublette, KS. It?s between Garden City and Liberal. I know quite a few land owners and have been hunting there since 2007.

I?m very new to hunting upland game over a dog. I?ve been gun hunting since I was 12, mainly turkeys and deer, but never had a dog to seriously pursue pheasants. I?ve been hunting with raptors for falconry since I was 15 (18 years now).
I have always wanted to get a pointer and train it as a dual purpose dog to gun hunt over for pheasants/quail and also to flush jacks and fly my eagle over the dog. Fast forward to this fall. I travel a lot for hunting and finally felt comfortable committing to a dog of my own for the first time. I got very serious about looking for a dog. I have a close friend that runs GWP?s and was pretty set on a GWP as a versatile breed to do exactly what I was looking for. I got extremely lucky and found a great started dog with very good bloodlines that was 18 months old and hunted hard on chucker in Idaho. She was sold when I called, but a few weeks later the buyer had to back out do to the expense of the dog. I got a call and worked out the details. In early December I drove from Minnesota to Emmett Idaho to meet Greta. I purchased her and couldn?t be happier! She is extremely talented *IMO*. She already knew what to do with pointing birds. I hunted her in TX on quail a couple days after picking her up. She did bump the first couple quail without pointing, but after she retrieved the first one she went on to have some beautiful steady points and retrieves. We shot 6 quail over her that morning.

Getting Greta used to the eagle was pretty easy. Except that Dexter was convinced she was the devil and wanted nothing to do with her. After having her leashed in the field and Dexter catching a couple jacks where I could completely control the situation he is very accepting of her. She learned to point and not chase jacks pretty quick (a few e-collar corrections). Now she just watches them run off. Most jacks bump without holding for a point and that is fine as Dexter will fly them off my fist soon as they flush.

Greta did want to retrieve the falcons at first. But she quickly learned they are not for retrieving. She is great with them and goes with me into the pens every day to feed falcons. She is extremely steady and trustworthy around them. I have 20 falcons I train professionally for my work.

I have been out after wild pheasants a couple times, but the only birds we have found have flushed wild without any chance of getting close enough for a point. I have been running Greta at a hunting preserve in MN. I have been out 3 times with Greta and I have shot 33 pheasants over her so far. And a few I?ve totally missed, lol. All but 2 over points. And she retrieves well. Greta always finds me extra scratch birds as I?ve only had them put out 18 birds so far. I am great at training raptors, but definitely have some questions of dog training. But that?s for another post.

So if you have made it through my rambling this far I appreciate the effort. Now on to an actual question.

I am always looking for new areas to hunt jackrabbits with my Eagle (Dexter). I figure most pheasant guys are in cover too thick for jacks. But since you guys are out in the field so much maybe you know of areas that have good populations of jackrabbits?
I am more than happy to take anyone out that show me some jacks.

My normal jack fields are cut wheat, especially if sits long enough to grow small tumble weeds in it. Cattle pastures, and any type of shorter cover that can conceal a jack, but still be open enough for them to get up and run.

Since not many people hunt them I figured it would be ok to ask. Also I am always happy to take anyone in the field hunting with me and Dexter. I always offer to take out the landowners that give me permission. I have taken a lot of kids out in the field with me. So if anyone know of good jackrabbit spots specifically and wouldn?t mind sharing I would love to hook up and take you out hunting. You can PM me if you want to keep info private. I?m open to anywhere in KS that has a good amount of jacks. I mainly target the Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal areas.

I will be heading back to SW Kansas next Monday (1/16). I?ll be down for a week. Then back again from the 25-31 of January. My plan is to hunt WIHA for pheasant with Greta in the mornings and hunt jackrabbits with Dexter in the afternoon until dark. Dexter is pretty good at his job and has caught 70 jack rabbits across 5 states so far this year. It?s a unique experience watching a trained golden eagle hunt right in front of you. I?ll attach a few pics of us on hunts in KS.

Thanks,

Chase Delles

How decked out is your vehicle or do you possibly bring an atv or Polaris ranger with you?

I could pm you a place not far from where you'll be you should see plenty of rabbits, get into some quail and pheasants and it's all public access - shooting them would be possibly a different story depending on where you're at.

Let us know the vehicle and it's capabilities off road.

That's awesome, too bad there are no jacks around me, just the little cottontails. That would be a sight to see I would think. I think there is someone on here that had recently taken up falconry. I can't remember for sure who or if it was even on this site.

Good luck

Falconry is so cool, I've always dreamed of doing it, but have realized it is just a dream, thanks for sharing your photos!

Awesome photos! I would love to watch an eagle go after a rabbit in the wide open spaces of western KS. I will talk to some folks out there and see if I can't put anything together for you.

I think it is Toad.
It IS toad! :laugh: This is the wildest thing I've ever done. The thing I have always loved most about upland hunting is the sense of adventure in walking a field and never knowing what may happen next. Falconry has the same mystery and adventure X 10. A wild hawk is so much more unpredictable than a shotgun... :laugh:

OP, if you come down early, there is a field meet down in your target area this weekend. Contact Kansas Hawking Club, or Oklahoma's club, and they'll get you the information. That would be a great head start on making contacts in the SW KS/ OK Panhandle area. Good luck on the jacks!

176AA84E-F58A-46DB-9239-814887125FEB_zps3cgqvudd.jpg

Last edited:
Really neat! What a beautiful bird. That first pic is excellent. I had a kid in class years back that was into falconry. If I remember correctly, he had a permit to trap a red tailed hawk and that's what he trained. This was down by Tulsa.

That is really cool. Thanks for the pictures. The most damn Jacks I've ever seen was out hunting scalies in Colorado. I've not had much exposure to them (and thus neither did my dogs) and they had no idea what to do with them. Well, chase them much to my chagrin. I watched Grady try and chase one... And it was like the jack was messing with him and then he kicked in the after burners and it was over.

There is a guy close by here who hunts with a falcon. Well, two that I know of. One just got back flying his bird on prairie chickens, which was a neat story to read.
I'd love to see this all happen some time. Think it would be awesome.

How decked out is your vehicle or do you possibly bring an atv or Polaris ranger with you?

I could pm you a place not far from where you'll be you should see plenty of rabbits, get into some quail and pheasants and it's all public access - shooting them would be possibly a different story depending on where you're at.

Let us know the vehicle and it's capabilities off road.

Hi KsHusker,

I do have a electric golf cart I can bring and hunt off. I generally just walk with Dexter as I prefer that method of hunting. I drive a 2014 F-150 so I can do off road to get into places as well. Please PM me if you want to share some jack areas. I'd be happy to take you out hawking with me.

I'm not looking for anyones pheasant spots. Just jack rabbits if they don't hunt them. I appreciate the info!

Thanks,

Chase

Awesome photos! I would love to watch an eagle go after a rabbit in the wide open spaces of western KS. I will talk to some folks out there and see if I can't put anything together for you.

Hi Jakeismydog2,

I appreciate the compliment! Most photos come from falconer friends who hunt with me. Since I am carrying Dexter for off the fist slips I never get good action pics. Just tons of on the kill pics. I do pretty well around Sublette, but always looking for any new areas. Jacks are very cyclic and the population can greatly change depending on the crop rotations. I'm happy to take anyone out with me.

Thanks,

Chase

Pretty damn cool. I hope to have one in a few years. Do you hunt anything else with them?

Hi PheasantWhisperer,

Sounds like your interested in taking up falconry. Just a disclaimer, it can take over your life, lol. I haven't deer hunted in 10 years. Used to do bow and gun. Still love turkey hunting and it works since it is outside falconry season. I'm more of an exception as falconry dictates my entire life. I created a company so I could fly birds for a living and have the entire fall/winter off work and do nothing but hunt. I put 110,000 miles on my truck in 2 years, mainly going around the country to hunt. But its worth it. Wouldn't have it any other way :)

I occasionally hunt ducks with a couple falcons. But my main falconry bird is my golden eagle, Dexter. Trapped him in 2008 in Wyoming. We are extremely bonded. Jack rabbits are our main quarry. He has taken a dozen cottontails and 2 geese as well. But whitetail and blacktail jacks are our quest.

I hope you can pursue falconry. Happy to help if you need info.

Thanks,

Chase

I have already started classes here at the University of MO Raptor Sanctuary. Only about 2 months deep. Be a while before I get to fly one.

It IS toad! :laugh: This is the wildest thing I've ever done. The thing I have always loved most about upland hunting is the sense of adventure in walking a field and never knowing what may happen next. Falconry has the same mystery and adventure X 10. A wild hawk is so much more unpredictable than a shotgun... :laugh:

OP, if you come down early, there is a field meet down in your target area this weekend. Contact Kansas Hawking Club, or Oklahoma's club, and they'll get you the information. That would be a great head start on making contacts in the SW KS/ OK Panhandle area. Good luck on the jacks!

176AA84E-F58A-46DB-9239-814887125FEB_zps3cgqvudd.jpg

Hi Toad,
Happy to hear you took the plunge. I see your flying a immy RT. Is this your first bird? I'm sure your having a blast with cottontails. The longer you fly her the easier it gets. Kind of like having a very good dog in its prime. You just trust that they know where to be and when. You just follow and get a front row seat to what happens in nature.
I flew a number of female RT's on cottontails and had a great time. I'm tired of crawling through brush so I gave them up now lol. Really jacks are my thing. I hunted them with RT's. Then imprinted a female ferruge and flew her for 5 years. Got my eagle lisc at 23. Trapped Dexter the next spring and have been flying him for 8 years. Were a bit over 400 jacks so far.

I appreciate the info on the meet. I know a majority of the falconer in the US. Do all the NAFA meets and eagle meets. I was going to leave for KS today, but the weather sucks this weekend. Freezing rain. So I'll leave Monday now. Since I don't work until March it allows me some flexibility lol.

I've got great area and land owners near Sublette. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask of other areas I haven't been to in that area. I've not really hawked around dodge yet and would expand around Liberal. I most definitley am not asking for any bird (pheasant/quail) areas. Just jack rabbits if guys are finding alot in any area. I've hawked the hooker/guymon area of the panhandle as well.

Falconers probably just like bird hunters don't share fields. And I would never ask! If you haven't been to a NAFA meet yet you should go. Great people and lots of fun having 250 falconers at the same hotel. But ya lots of competition for hawking fields.

Thanks,

Chase

That is really cool. Thanks for the pictures. The most damn Jacks I've ever seen was out hunting scalies in Colorado. I've not had much exposure to them (and thus neither did my dogs) and they had no idea what to do with them. Well, chase them much to my chagrin. I watched Grady try and chase one... And it was like the jack was messing with him and then he kicked in the after burners and it was over.

There is a guy close by here who hunts with a falcon. Well, two that I know of. One just got back flying his bird on prairie chickens, which was a neat story to read.
I'd love to see this all happen some time. Think it would be awesome.

Hi V-John,

Kansas is very strong for jacks. WY has the biggest herds of winter whitetails I've seen in awhile. I'll try to figure out how to post videos.
I've taken jacks with Dexter in ND, MN, NE, KS, OK, TX, NM, CO, WY, AZ, and NV.
That's the beauty of jack rabbits. They are fast, smart, and extremely evasive. My job is to flush them and Dexter's job is to catch them. If I could only do 1 type of hunting it would be jacks with an eagle.

Hunting with a dog is new and exciting for me. I'm learning what to do and not do. Also what behaviors I want and don't. Greta chased jacks off the bat, but learned really quick not to do that. Her job is to flush, Dexters is to catch. I am really excited to get them to a solid team. Raptors are easy for me after 18 years and over 100 birds. But the dog is new and very different! Completely a newbie with her.

I have lots of friends that fly Prairie Chickens and Sage Grouse. Way too much work for me lol. Usually its 1 flight per bird per day. Maybe morning and evening. Plus big running dogs to get the points. EP seem to be favored grouse dogs for falconers. I love to watch the flights! But the time and dedication required to make a good falcon and dog team is incredible! Usually 3-5 years before a falcon is really good. And at any time your falcon can get killed and then you start all over. Have a friend who spends every with in NE hunting PC's. Had 2 seasoned falcons killed in 24 hours last winter. Set him back 5 years in 1 day.

Thanks,

Chase

Back