Hunting in Wyoming

WI ditch chicken

Ok I know this is a Pheasant hunting forum but I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction for Pronghorn. Im going to have some extra time off next fall and want to go out there. Im only in the research stage at this point and just need a shove down the right mountain. Will be looking at the parks and wildlife site next.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Scott Niemuth

Ok I know this is a Pheasant hunting forum but I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction for Pronghorn. Im going to have some extra time off next fall and want to go out there. Im only in the research stage at this point and just need a shove down the right mountain. Will be looking at the parks and wildlife site next.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Scott Niemuth

Scott from another Scott, There are more speed goat in Wyoming than any place in the world. Imho, You feel free to pm me and Ill put you on the goats.
You can't go wrong In most of the state, but they are not in the mountains.

I would put in for the Walton or gas hills part of the state, if you want a trophy buck. Or the Gillette area or south to wray. Casper in the central part of the state towards Rawlins Has tons, but not much public land. Hope this helps. btw You have to get drawn to hunt as a NR. :)

The thing about WY antelope is where permits are an easy draw there isn't much public land and where the draw is hard there's tons of public land.
It's good your starting to get information early.
Sure enough lots of antelope in Wy, You'll do OK.
I've hunted those areas just East and South East of Lander, a harder draw but LOTS of antelope and some very good ones.

Thanks guys I will keep you posted on my progress in research and volunteers to go with.

Scott

jsdriggs

You mean I might have to bring the dog, the shotgun, the rifle and the fishing rod! I wont know what to do.

Absolutely! Chicken hunt early, Antelope hunt the rest of the day. Fish once you have your antelope.

YUP, It's all good in Wyoming. Once you live it you will want to move in and live it for life. Until Winter comes, then not so much. LOL:D:cheers:

LOL I visited wyoming when I was a senior in high school. Went and looked at the college in Larime. Ive wanted to go back ever since.

Good luck.

You are lucky because Wyoming is the most generous state when it comes to big game hunting. We hate it but you might as well benefit from it. Wyoming makes a lot of money off out of state license sales so you can not only get buck tags but you can get extra doe fawn licenses as well. Not only this but you get preference points for Elk, Deer, and Antelope. Residents do not get them. You can also pay extra cash for a better chance of drawing.
The best is yet to come. . . . Wyoming has tons (and i mean tons) of public land. It's not like when I try to hunt pheasants in other states and have one tiny little walk in area that has been pounded by everyone else. There area miles of endless desert and national forest for the type of game you're pursuing. If you want a big buck put in for areas near Rawlins. It is an ugly town but good goats. If you just want a good hunt then anywhere is good. Lots of public land near Sweetwater County. You could probably just fly into Rock Springs or Gillette. Most of the private land is in the Eastern portion of the state. Good luck. Like I said, I hate all the out of state hunters in my areas but there is nothing I can do about it so go at it while its there. You'll have a blast. Guaranteed hunt.

YUP, It's all good in Wyoming. Once you live it you will want to move in and live it for life. Until Winter comes, then not so much. LOL:D:cheers:

Yeah Jmac, when they figure out that when the wind is blowing 45 mph everyday and the locals do not even consider it a breeze!!!!!!:cheers:

You are lucky because Wyoming is the most generous state when it comes to big game hunting. We hate it but you might as well benefit from it. Wyoming makes a lot of money off out of state license sales so you can not only get buck tags but you can get extra doe fawn licenses as well. Not only this but you get preference points for Elk, Deer, and Antelope. Residents do not get them. You can also pay extra cash for a better chance of drawing.
The best is yet to come. . . . Wyoming has tons (and i mean tons) of public land. It's not like when I try to hunt pheasants in other states and have one tiny little walk in area that has been pounded by everyone else. There area miles of endless desert and national forest for the type of game you're pursuing. If you want a big buck put in for areas near Rawlins. It is an ugly town but good goats. If you just want a good hunt then anywhere is good. Lots of public land near Sweetwater County. You could probably just fly into Rock Springs or Gillette. Most of the private land is in the Eastern portion of the state. Good luck. Like I said, I hate all the out of state hunters in my areas but there is nothing I can do about it so go at it while its there. You'll have a blast. Guaranteed hunt.[/QUOTE

Wow, Some of this is correct, and most of this is NOT. Wyoming Residents hunt more and buy more tags than NR's all day long. I was born and raised in Wyoming and still have many family members in the state. It's not uncommon for them to harvest 3 goats and 4 deer a year/ per person. Sounds like your mad that NR's are hunting in Wyoming. NRs can't hunt in Wyoming with out a guide for real big game anyway. Elk etc.

You are some what right that Wyoming has tons of Public land to hunt. But you better Know exactly where you at, because some of the Biggest Ranches in the world Are in wyoming.

To all NR's most all Wyoming residents welcome out of state hunters.

Last edited:
Yeah Jmac, when they figure out that when the wind is blowing 45 mph everyday and the locals do not even consider it a breeze!!!!!!:cheers:

Yes Bleu, The joke is, " if you don't walk out the door at a 45 degree angle, you will be blown over." In the winter Its True enough. LOL:D

It's the same thing whenever you go out state or to a new hunting area. If you want it bad enough to do the homework, get all the info you can. Start planning at least a year ahead. For sure tons of opportunities out there.

Couldnt help myself... I went to Scheels the other day and saw a Wyoming Gazetteer and had to buy it. Figured that if I really did go out there it would eventually come in handy. Quick question about this thing though. It has marked in here in one color ''Publicly owened land-BLM Boundary'' and in another color ''State trust land boundary'' Are these areas open for public hunting or not?

And an update on recruits for the trip. Mentioned this to a few friends and I got the same response that I got when I told them I was going to Kansas Pheasant hunting. "What the hell do you want to do that for?" and "I'll save you the trip just give me the money.'' Not to much intrest yet we'll see what happens in a few months. However I did get interesting information from my dad he said that one of his friends goes out there every year and that I should talk to him. Will be making a phone call in the next weeks.

Thanks for the help and support guys
Scott Niemuth

Scott, I have hunted region E WY for a long time. No trouble finding public land in that country. All mostly easy access.
Only go with guys that really want to go! Best to get to know someone that has done it, go from there.

Scott, I have hunted region E WY for a long time. No trouble finding public land in that country. All mostly easy access.
Only go with guys that really want to go! Best to get to know someone that has done it, go from there.

Scott,

mnmts advise as well as JSDs is great advise. Speedgoats can be very hard to hunt. They have 13 power eye sight and canbe a pain to get close to them. So having a hunting buddy or two that really wants to hunt is important. Yes there is lots of public land in Wyoming. I hope it all comes together for you.:):cheers:

[
Wow, Some of this is correct, and most of this is NOT. Wyoming Residents hunt more and buy more tags than NR's all day long. I was born and raised in Wyoming and still have many family members in the state. It's not uncommon for them to harvest 3 goats and 4 deer a year/ per person. Sounds like your mad that NR's are hunting in Wyoming. NRs can't hunt in Wyoming with out a guide for real big game anyway. Elk etc.

To all NR's most all Wyoming residents welcome out of state hunters.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha. You serious right now?! First off only in wilderness areas do NR's have to have a guide which I must say are not that numerous and are specific areas. Most of the Wyoming Range, Salt River Range, and such are not in a wilderness area for elk and deer. Plus the guides pound the wilderness areas anyway with NR hunters. You obviously must live on a ranch where you simply shoot your extra doe/fawn's and flaunt them on some forum. Wyoming is too generous with NR tags and rightfully so since they get so much money for them. When you say "3 goats and 4 deer a year per person" then you are specifically talking about whitetail deer in the northern/eastern part of the state and you are talking all doe fawns unless of course you are a land owner; Who probably complains the animals eat all your crops then you don't allow anyone to shoot them off your land. Or you just "know a guy." I don't know any general season hunters in Wyoming that "welcome" out of state hunters. Wyoming has more public land to hunt than most states anyways so don't worry, NR's won't be shootin your does. You can have them all to yourself.

Back