Hunting in December

lab man

We have a rancher that has left us hunt on his land since 2003, the third week of pheasant hunting season. Last year he said he would like us to come in December. I am 77 years old and very concerned about the roads that time of the year. We would be hunting between Miller and Redfield, and we are hunting some where between December 5 and December 16. What are the average snowfall that time of the year. We would be coming from Sheboygan and Wansau Wisconsin. thank you !!

Unpredictable is what the weather is that time of year. I've chased birds in a t-shirt and jeans before. Also had years where I've walked a mile or two down a road to hunt a spot because it was impassable with a vehicle. Hunting can be great at that time of year. Birds are predictable at where to find them but jumpy from being grouped up.

Kind of what BigRand said. The weather at that time of year is just too unpredictable. I'm sure it's much the same in Wisconsin in December. It could be warm with no snow or you could have so much snow it makes it nearly impossible to hunt. I've seen many years out here that by the middle of December the hunting was done. So much snow on the level in the fields that neither me or my dog could walk them. But if you want an average I'd say 4-8 inches of snow on the ground with temps in the single digits in the morning maybe warming to teens to 20 by the afternoon. All you can do as it gets close to December is monitor the weather and extended forecasts. Good luck.

Thanks for all the reply's, my son has decided not to go this year. I did find a one year old started lab for friend of mine that has never been to SD I would like to get him and his dad who 85 and I have hunted with is 1957, is would be about the only year he will could go if then. Thanks again for all your comments, I will be watching the weather as it gets closer to December.

We stayed on a farm, and hunted this guys land. He charged two of us 250 dollars for 5 days. It was a great place.Ill bet there are not any other places in sd like that.

Back