Hunting ethics article.

McFarmer

A very long read, some I agree with some I don’t. Sometimes sensational but this magazine the article appears in is not some liberal press outlet.

hunting article

I challenge anyone to view the snowmobile video and not be disgusted. I wouldn’t let the four and six year old watch it.

A very long read, some I agree with some I don’t. Sometimes sensational but this magazine the article appears in is not some liberal press outlet.

hunting article

I challenge anyone to view the snowmobile video and not be disgusted. I wouldn’t let the four and six year old watch it.

I read part of it then scanned the rest - very long piece.

I agree - hunters do not always make themselves look very good - snowmobile was not a good look. I didnt realize people were literally running over coyotes on purpose - I've seen the evidence of guys using snow mobiles in Western KS - but I was always told they were just chasing the coyotes and shooting them from the moving snowmobile - I have no problem with that - not really my cup of tea, nor do I have a problem of guys using greyhounds - again not my thing but I wont bash them.

Running them over - thats just a little twisted - I've tried to run over raccoons but knew I'd instantly kill them - otherwise I wouldnt have done so.

The MeatEater podcast has had some good discussions on hunter ethics.

I feel like we are our own worst enemy. The vast majority of Americans are ambivalent on hunting. But posting this stuff (the original video, not the article) is the sensational stuff that the anti's can easily use against us.

The non-hunting public will not differentiate between the ethical sportsmen and whatever you want to call this guy. Other FB posts discussing this article/video has lots of 'sportsmen' defending this guy. We should be holding his feet to the fire, and endorsing regulations that address this specific issue.

I just noticed this post and read the article. Seems like people want a law for everything. I wouldn’t run down any animal with a vehicle for “sport”. I don’t need a law to tell me it’s wrong. Others will act like jackasses in spite of a law. If I was a rancher and wolves were a problem, I’d take care of business but even then I’m not a cruel person, so I’d choose something more effective than a snow mobile.
What bothers me is that hunting appears in the story. An ethical hunter is not the same as someone that swings a coyote against a vehicle, yet someone reading that article that hasn’t first experienced true outdoorsmanship will assuredly see poacher and hunter as the same. (What kind of a psychopath would beat an animal like that? Is this story just conjured up out of the author’s imagination?)
Do your best at all times. You never know when someone is waiting to post something on social media or put pen to paper. Besides, fair chase has nothing to do with wanton abuse. We have a hard enough time with all the anti-hunting, anti-gun nuts out there.

Back