Hunting Dog Looking for new Hunter

I am an energetic 18 month old pointer looking for a new hunting partner. Every time we go out I run and work as hard as I can in a quail wasteland. When I do my job and find a small covey and point them out to my partner, he screws it up. Just today I held a covey of 6 and he missed! So now I would like to trade him in for a better model. Preferably one who hunts a lot and can actually shoot a bird. Pm with qualifications.

This is probably what my pup was thinking this morning after I missed a gimme. Boy I felt like a jerk.

With my pup Indy his first season, I missed the first 9 quail he pointed.
I was too busy trying to see what he was doing while I was shooting. That doesn't work.

You will hit one, some day :D

Poor dog! ;) On a serious note, on quail I use more open chokes - cylinder for the first shot, skeet for the second shot - and no. 8 shot. If you are using a fixed choke gun with full or modified choke, try to delay pulling the trigger so your shot pattern has an opportunity to spread before reaching the bird. Best of luck!

My lab will actually not hunt in front of people who miss. She has an attitude and will avoid them. Both of my labs have done this. It helps if the guy who misses is on the end then whe will only go so far then turn we tried switching ends and it did not matter.

I appreciate the info on the chokes. All the way back to the truck I was thinking if I was over chokes with an IC shooting 6's steel. I will probably need to try a C with having to shoot steel. He is still young and hasn't figured out to give me attitude when I miss. He is still full of puppy and just bounds on to the next field and bird. I have a lot more to learn about quail hunting than he does. And to make matters worse he's named after a duck. Drake was named by my wife.

I appreciate the info on the chokes. All the way back to the truck I was thinking if I was over chokes with an IC shooting 6's steel. I will probably need to try a C with having to shoot steel. He is still young and hasn't figured out to give me attitude when I miss. He is still full of puppy and just bounds on to the next field and bird. I have a lot more to learn about quail hunting than he does. And to make matters worse he's named after a duck. Drake was named by my wife.

I have to ask Why are you shoot 6 shot at Quail. They go down with 7 and a half or smaller ant you can eat them???????????? 6 is far to big. sevens are perfect.

Over a pointing dog I am shooting Skeet and I/C with 7.5 lead shot in my 20ga O/U.

I would say that you are tighter than you want to be with steel.

i too use 7 1/2's...7/8 oz load in first barrel and 1oz load in second barrel. 20 ga O/U as well. poor pup lol

well im shooting 8 1/2s in both barrels one choked at skeet the other skeet II out of my little 28ga got say this i love those little guns , i shoot 5/8oz and then 3/4oz , ive got some stompers for the longtails 1 oz loads and hell if i miss too much my dogs wont hunt in front of me lol :D

KEEP at it you will connect , but i too not sure why your using steel ??

A cylinder choke and 7 1/2s in steel should do the trick.

I have missed my fair share this season as well. Think I need to open up a little bit on the chokes as well. IC and Mod now but think I will switch to cylinder and IC in the over and under.

I have to shoot steel shot in KS in the WA areas. New rules as of this year. And I might have to start wearing a cup if I am going to keep missing. Haha. I will open up the choke and drop pellet size. As always thanks for the laughs and good direction.

Even WA's? God I hope they don't pull that up here. Well you could use the steel alternatives. Cost more but drop more so cost is off set that way. Maybe try a box of a couple different ones. Tried Fast steel? Estate has some nice steel loads too.

My lab will actually not hunt in front of people who miss. She has an attitude and will avoid them. Both of my labs have done this. It helps if the guy who misses is on the end then whe will only go so far then turn we tried switching ends and it did not matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

On quail I shoot no. 8.

Back