Hunting Dickinson ND this week

Landowners have the option of electronically posting land now too. So even if it isn't physically posted, you may be trespassing if it's only electronically posted. So you'd have to check online as well now.
No. They have post a bar code on a fence.

I can't specifically comment on the rules to enter posted land in ND, but I can tell with 100% positivity that I am not entering private land unless I have permission to do so. I don't care where it is. To me its about respect. Plus I don't need some disgruntled landowner showing up that creates a potential hostile situation. Better safe than sorry for this guy.

The legislature wanted to go all posted in 2021 and used the protestors - squatter camps along the Missouri as rationale. There was little push for all land posted in the 2023 legislative session. ND meets every other (odd) year. They came up with the electronic posting which works fine. A bit cumbersome having to rely on signs and the phone.

Open lands are a ND tradition. Comments by Gimruis are not uncommon, but North Dakotans do not care about what outsiders say on this issue.

The open lands are similar to northern MN woods where if it is not posted it is open to hunting. I bet many MN hunters assume it is public land and it often is ... but if you look closely it is often a mix of county (tax forfeited), state, and Federal ownership ... AND certainly private owner parcels often mixed in also. Some of the wood industry companies such as Potlach started to lease or sell their land vs. leaving it open to hunting.

Note that land that is not posted (signs) or electronically posted is often open because the ownership or ownership group is not close by or they do not want to be bothered. There are few (if any actually) ND landowners that are NOT aware of this rule.

When I was a diehard waterfowler - mostly field hunting ... I would ask if I thought the farmer would be disking or adding nitrogen to the soil ... if I was hunting afternoon pothole ducks or pheasant hunting ... I would not hesitate to go hunt if legal to do so.

PLOTS has likely alleviated some of the issues ... sportsmen's access vs. landowners' rights. I think PLOTS has served that purpose well ... land that used to be left unposted has been turned into PLOTS which provides known legal access and some revenue to the landowner.

I like that ND has moved to working lands PLOTS as CRP land has diminished. They have also moved to provide property for all types of hunting vs. focusing solely on pheasants. ND has 800K acres enrolled - down considerably from the peak ... but still quite a bit.

Landowners have the option of electronically posting land now too. So even if it isn't physically posted, you may be trespassing if it's only electronically posted. So you'd have to check online as well now.
Where is this info found online?
Thanks

The landowner electronic posting must be completed by a summer deadline. A ND landowner cannot add his property to the list ... say today ... and expect it to be electronically posted. System works decent enough.

I disagree. I've always hunted for 45 years.
I don't care if you disagree. There is no rule or law in Montana allowing access if not posted or fenced. There's no way you've hunted here 45 years and thought that.

It is clear in the regulations and isn't new:

Landowner Permission (MCA 87-6-415)
A person may not hunt or attempt to hunt
furbearers, game animals, migratory game birds, nongame wildlife, predatory animals, upland game birds, or wolves while hunting on private property without first obtaining permission of the landowner, the lessee, or their agents. Regardless of whether the land is posted or not, hunters must have permission from the land owner, lessee, or their agent before hunting on private property.
For the purposes of this section, the term
“hunt” has the same meaning as provided in 87-6-101 and includes entering private land to: (a) retrieve wildlife; or (b) access public land to hunt.

Back