Hunting Dickinson ND this week

Hunterd05

After dreaming about hunting in the Dakotas my whole life, I finally have a chance to hunt ND this week. My family has all made trips to SD many times but I have had 2 reconstructive back surgeries and never been able to make the drive. I am finally in a place where I can make the drive and hunt again after 3 years of being home bound and recovering.

I am going to be staying in Dickinson and have a plot map but really don’t have an idea of what to expect. Any tips for a newbie?

After dreaming about hunting in the Dakotas my whole life, I finally have a chance to hunt ND this week. My family has all made trips to SD many times but I have had 2 reconstructive back surgeries and never been able to make the drive. I am finally in a place where I can make the drive and hunt again after 3 years of being home bound and recovering.

I am going to be staying in Dickinson and have a plot map but really don’t have an idea of what to expect. Any tips for a newbie?
I would use the Onx app to view type of ground the Plot ground is before making the drive to the property Look at plots with farm ground instead of range land. Also knock on doors for permission to hunt promising private ground. Some will you let hunt and some won’t but you won’t know unless you ask

read the NODak regs regarding hunting private lands. If the crops are down and the land isn’t posted- it’s open to hunt. OnX is a great tool to use when looking for open lands in NODak. Nice you see an open area, you must still drive the road to assure it’s not posted with signage. We hunt NODak every year with great success. The folks are typically very decent and even if you find posted lands if the landowner is in the property (OnX states who owns it) you can still ask. A lot only post to minimize bug game hunters and can be open to upland hunters.
just Came back last week from the northwest region. Had great numbers of pheasants, sharpies, and Huns, and very few hunters.

read the NODak regs regarding hunting private lands. If the crops are down and the land isn’t posted- it’s open to hunt. OnX is a great tool to use when looking for open lands in NODak. Nice you see an open area, you must still drive the road to assure it’s not posted with signage. We hunt NODak every year with great success. The folks are typically very decent and even if you find posted lands if the landowner is in the property (OnX states who owns it) you can still ask. A lot only post to minimize bug game hunters and can be open to upland hunters.
just Came back last week from the northwest region. Had great numbers of pheasants, sharpies, and Huns, and very few hunters.
How about hooking a brother up home boy?

How about hooking a brother up home boy?
the bird numbers were great along the entire west side of the state from north to south. plots (private lands open to sportsmen) has tons of open acreage but truthfully we hunt as much private lands as we want. Read the regs. If it’s not posted electronic or with paper signage and the crops are down, you can hunt without permission. We’ve hunted down south around Dickinson and up north of Williston. Also above lake Sakakawea. So much open land that we actually drive by the more open fields with canola- too big for our flushers and retrievers. Awesome for big running Pointers.

If it is a wet snow it will cover most all. If it is a drier snow ... the wind will drive drifts into the grass, tree belts and cattail sloughs.

Headed that way this week too. Will be a bit further east. Hope my little 8month old gsp can handle the cold. Hope I can!

Not sure about Dickinson, but the Minot area is supposed to get up to 9 inches of snow by tomorrow. 🤯
I love N.D. but that's what's tough about hunting up there. I was near there in 2010. It was in early Nov. A pretty big snow had just melted, except for the drifts. Got 4 days in, then pulled up and drove closer to an interstate because another snowstorm was on the way. Got another day in but had a rough time getting out. A rough enough time that I'm hesitant on trying it again.

the bird numbers were great along the entire west side of the state from north to south. plots (private lands open to sportsmen) has tons of open acreage but truthfully we hunt as much private lands as we want. Read the regs. If it’s not posted electronic or with paper signage and the crops are down, you can hunt without permission. We’ve hunted down south around Dickinson and up north of Williston. Also above lake Sakakawea. So much open land that we actually drive by the more open fields with canola- too big for our flushers and retrievers. Awesome for big running Pointers.
That's the way montana used to be until they came out with that stupid permission law 10 years ago.

If the crops are down and the land isn’t posted- it’s open to hunt. OnX is a great tool to use when looking for open lands in NODak.
Landowners have the option of electronically posting land now too. So even if it isn't physically posted, you may be trespassing if it's only electronically posted. So you'd have to check online as well now.

Back