hunting a female in heat

LoneRooster

First, let's refrain from the lectures about getting a dog spayed or neutered. I am not looking to be a backyard breeder but one of my females pups who I have had and trained has a contract with the original breeder to produce a litter upon proper titling, etc.

I am a responsible dog owner and I know the risks associated with not spaying females so lets just not go into that as that is not the purpose of this topic.

The purpose of this topic is to ask and have a discussion regarding hunting a female who is in heat during the season. What are the signs that you guys/gals go by that would indicate it is all clear to bring your girl out of hiding after a heat cycle.

I have heard "tricks" of using vapor rub after week 3 to remove any scent.

Big no no to bring a gal who is finishing her heat cycle out?

Would hate to miss out on Pheasant opener next wknd but certainly not worth the risk of an accidental litter.

If your dog is in heat I would say it's fine hunting her alone or with other female dogs. But if there is a male dog(s) in your group I'd leave her home. Not fair to those male dogs and it's just the price you pay for wanting to hunt with an intact female.

If there is a male in your group leave her at home because there will be something on their brain and it won't be birds. If you don't want an accidental litter and there will be males along the only way to make sure this 100% does not happen is to leave her home.

david0311

If there is a male in your group leave her at home because there will be something on their brain and it won't be birds. If you don't want an accidental litter and there will be males along the only way to make sure this 100% does not happen is to leave her home.

Both mine hunt fine while in heat--You want to hunt with me--:rolleyes: leave your male home of alternate maybe :)

If your dog is in heat I would say it's fine hunting her alone or with other female dogs. But if there is a male dog(s) in your group I'd leave her home. Not fair to those male dogs and it's just the price you pay for wanting to hunt with an intact female.

Could you amagine using that same concept for humans.:D Look at how much money we could save by just leaving them home, but then again you would be marked as a Sexists.:eek:

This post has been relevant for me. I have a female lab who is just coming out of her first heat. She just is returning to her old self.

Being married and a father of two girls has taught me that females take a little more work but are defiantly worth it. :D

Back