Huns???

henhenROOSTER!!!

Anybody know in closest proximity to CO where a man & a dog or two might go and have a reasonable chance to scratch up a few wild (not preserve/released) huns???...If God & the stars were to smile on me for a full-fledged road trip, where is considered the best/prime hun territory in the country if such a thing even exists???...With everything on my plate, didn't get to bird hunt hardly at all last year & itchin for a little getaway & a brand-new/totally-different kind of adventure! THX to anybody that can help with a few general pointers in the right direction. PM is fine if you don't want to make it public.

The Hun Country got hammered by winter weather last year, and the little suckers are cyclic anyway in my opinion. In years past in my hunting vagabond days, I had memorable days along the "highline" in Montana, SW North Dakota, draw a square from Dickinson, southwest, along the snake river breaks in Idaho, Johnson County, Wyoming, south of Sheridan, and finally eastern Washinton state, from Moses Lake to Spokane, anywhere there are flat top fields of wheat that abruptly drop off precipitously to really rough bottoms, hunt there real early and real late, when they come out of the hellish bottoms to feed. I have found them in number in odd places, like the Great Lakes plains of upper New York, and the counties along Lake Michigan south of Green Bay, with fields of cover so sparse you couldn't hide a sparrow. That was in the 70's, doubt if either of the last places have any birds left. If you want a Canadian adventure Sask. and the area of Manitoba around Pipestone and Melita were as good as it gets. As a rule, more than any other bird, they are where you find them, and very much here today gone tommorrow, though there are coveys you can set your clock by, and are as predictable as bobwhites. They like to hang around old grayed wood homesteads, even dicarded farm implements that breakup the prairie. When you think you got them figured out after a couple of successful days, they will disappear on you and you won't find one for a few days, then suddenly they are back. I also believe they are like sharpies in that they are locally migratory within a broad range, and altitude, dependent upon factors that we hunters do not understand, be it perferred feed source, temperature, time of year, or just nomadic lifestyle. You may flush them 10 foot from the car or walk 10 miles to se one, expect to shoot on a late flusher in a wild flush, and followup every covey, better shooting comes after the second or third flush, when they hold tight, you may end up within a few yards of where you got them up originally! I'm sure there are dedicated Hun hunters who know more than me, but that exhausts my knowledge of Huns gained by a mispent youth in pursuit of gamebirds of all sorts. Good Luck.

I hunt around Zeeland and Ashley ND. I see more around Zeeland. I don't hunt them per say but I run across them pheasant hunting. They are fun to shoot. Last year I shot 2 sharpies and had them mounted. Now I will try for the huns this year. If I get 2 I will mount them.

Good hunting!
Lazlo

Those Huns are great fun, season opens Sept 1st in Montana. Usually a bit hot for me and the pups. I'll be out there about mid month.:)
I like the rolling native grasslands in North Central and the Judith Basin country.:cool:

Its been quite awhile back. But I hunted north of Thermopolis Wyoming. I believe the name of the mountain or hill was the black something. Than we hunted at geebo maybe. There were huns everywhere. The trip was to hunt Chukar. Turned out to be more of a hun hunt. Both seasons run together it was a really good time. The signs are marked of both areas. Miles and miles to hunt. But the hunting was definately better at this black mountain or something like that. Just driving the switch backs they would be running across the road. The whole covey. At that point and time like 20-30 birds a covey and fly maybe fifty yards. Thats my knowledge

Back