Hows it look in east MT

I traveled from Wibaux, Circle, Glasgow, Ophiem, Scobey, Plentywood and back to Wibaux last week.
It's been VERY wet out there. I believe every stock pond is overflowing and all the creeks are running, very unusual. Weather has been mostly mild though.
There is lush grass everywhere, lots of bird cover.

Those are the areas I hunt in sounds like it might be a good year. Last year was pretty good. I am looking foward to this year, hoping to stay in MT all of Sept if I can. I have two new pups coming out with me this year also.

There,s also going to be a lot of late planting and a lot of areas left to go to weeds.
There are fields that are lakes now, waterfowl are doing great.

It is sounding like it should be a good year. I live very far away from there and I try to keep up with the weather but its hard to get good observations from someone who is there. Thanks for the update.

weather in montana

I spoke with school marm's at a show I worked yesterday, and the consensus it almost too wet for the farmers in central and eastern Montana. having trouble getting in fields in some locals to start to cut first crop hay!!! that is a good thing for the birds ,and us!

Do you think the cover will be real high and thick like it was a couple years ago,

There will be bird cover like you have not seen.

Those are nice too.

But I have come to like longer legs and tails

Sept2012.jpg

I hunted for the first time outside of KS last fall. Went to MT, and it was awesome. We didn't get into tons of birds but enough to keep everyone interested.

It was dry in E MT last Fall so I doubt there will be a lot of Sweet Clover.

For sure some good grass and weeds for the pups. :thumbsup:

Last year was my third year hunting in Montana and I saw the most birds of the three years. I like the sharptails and huns so I go out early in Sept and I usually dont have weather problems and camping is nice. But this past season I saw way more pheasants than ever before and I was tempted to stay for pheasant season. I am hoping with the good amount of birds last year and a good spring that this year will be even better. I hope they kept my best spots in the block managment program also.

Everything looks good now, but if we don't get moisture the rest of the summer and it gets hot, we could be in trouble. Last year there were several BMA's and some private that I hunt that were closed for a while due to drought and fire danger. It has definitely been wetter this spring than last spring though. I went back to Glendive memorial day and it was nice and green. Headed to fort peck over the 4th for some r&r. Last year central mt looked better than eastern mt at that time. With any luck this will be a good bird season.

I hope so. I'm looking forward to my first trip to MT this Fall. Here's hoping for fair weather the rest of the way..

Last year I was there for the first 3 weeks of Sept and it was good and pheasants were everyplace. Just around when I was leaving they started closing areas for fear of fire it was dry and hot. I also hope we get a little cooler weather always so the dogs last longer. It can be tough on the dogs thats why I added the two pups that brings me to four dogs. This year will be there first and I wont shoot any birds over them yet but in future years I should be in good shape. Now I just have to hope I can keep myself going.

From what I've heard the deer are still struggling in parts of eastern mt. It hasn't been as good as in years past. It's been a few years since I did any deer hunting in those parts though.

Back