Howdy from Texas

texasbirdhunter

I have been reading this forum for a couple of years now and thought I would introduce myself. I live north of Dallas about 50 miles I've lived here 18 years but I was raised near Kansas City. My dad is a native Kansan from Marysville. I was raised in a bird hunting family. I quit hunting after I lost my hunting partner,cousin and best friend in 1999 in a car accident. Three years ago a friend of mine from KC finally talked me into getting back out there. So I loaded up the truck and headed north and I was hooked again just like that, so I bought 2 finished pointing labs 2 years ago that are awesome and I have been all over Kansas the last 2 years I love it with a passion I'm headed up to SW Nebraska this week for a 4 day hunt and then a 3 day hunt for Kansas opener. I like to read the post on this site it has been very informative for me to read post from hunters all over the state.

Wecome to the site....I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I'm glad that you got back into this awesome addiction....:thumbsup:

Welcome to UPH, We are a fun group here, come join us often.......Bob

Welcome! Glad you made it back. Just can't say enough about the people here on the site!!! WOW, they are great. Looking forward to hearing more about you hunts, and maybe some pics too. We all love pics. Thanks for coming back!:cheers:

Hey TexasBirdHunter: I read that you live in Gunter. We are neighbors - I live just west of Van Alstyne. We hunt in KS quite a bit. I have two labs who point from time to time and one "sure enough" pointing lab (True Grits line, Black Forest Kennel High Plains).

That's awesome!!! There aren't many upland bird hunters around here most are deer and duck hunters. My black female is from that line on the dam side her sire is shake quake and quiver 4xgmpr she was trained in South Dakota on a preserve my yellow female came from Texas pointing labs out of Decatur her blood line is not well known, her litter mate is there stud dog he just got his gmpr this year. Do you come to Sherman? I have a business there if you would like to come by and drink a cup of coffee some time. Where in Kansas do you hunt??

Howdy from the Texas Panhandle...give me a shout if you ever come this way!

Thanks for the invite. I was going to hunt the panhandle for pheasant and some scale quail last year and never made the trip. I understand it's good hunting with a lot less pressure then Kansas. The funny thing is it takes just a long for me to drive to Amarillo as it does Greensburg,KS. I have a guy that works for me that has Family up there somewhere north of Lubbock. If we make that trip I will give you a shout.

That's awesome!!! There aren't many upland bird hunters around here most are deer and duck hunters. My black female is from that line on the dam side her sire is shake quake and quiver 4xgmpr she was trained in South Dakota on a preserve my yellow female came from Texas pointing labs out of Decatur her blood line is not well known, her litter mate is there stud dog he just got his gmpr this year. Do you come to Sherman? I have a business there if you would like to come by and drink a cup of coffee some time. Where in Kansas do you hunt??

I am in Sherman fairly often (will be there tomorrow). We hunt in the "metropolitan" area of Liberal & Hugoton.

New to site

Hello fellow addicts! I just found the site and think this is great. I have been Rooster hunting for 20 plus years now here in Kansas. I live in Johnson County. I have 2 Brittany's the mom and son. The mom Ellie is 5 and her son is Rufus and 11 months old (55lbs of cover busting dog). I also have a Choc Lab named Ryan and she is 6yrs old and well seasoned on roosters. I hunt from South Dakota to West Kansas. I hunt around the Lacrosse area every opener with the same group of guys from K State. I also have 3 sons and 2 killed the firt roosters this year. I am interested in trying to kill a prairie chicken this year. Any ideas on where to go for both rooster and chickens. Thanks and Kick'em Up and Knck them Down!

Welcome Kickthemup! Very glad to have you here at the most awesome site! You will find nothing but GREAT people here and always willing to help in anyway. We will be in Ks. The first full week, maybe we will see you there! Good Luck this season and looking forward to hearing about your hunts and pics too!:cheers:

Rod​

Welcome to UPH, have a good season.....Bob

Thanks boys. looking forward to hearing how you all do. I will be in La Crosse for the opener with my crew of dogs and we will let you know how we do. Take care, Be Careful and Knock 'em Down!

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I'm leaving for Nebraska tomorrow, if I can figure out how to post pictures I will post some when I get back.

I am interested in trying to kill a prairie chicken this year. Any ideas on where to go for both rooster and chickens.

From what I am seeing in my limited travels around the state, is that in many areas the chicken have done well this year. I would suspect that some pheasant hunters will put chicken up this year. A person will have to recognize their flight and shape to know it is a chicken and not a hen. When I see them fly, it always reminds me of watching the engine on a big block rock when you sit there and rev the engine. A person will come to recognize their sound also.

REMEMBER, prairie chicken season does not open until November 21st and the SW Zone ends December 31st and the rest of the state ends January 31st. SW Zone has a one bird limit and the rest of the state a two bird limit.

Good luck,

Texasbirdhunter, here is a big Texas Hee Haw for you!!! Glad you are back to the best sport on Earth and I want to wish you success in your hunting adventures.

Back