Howard Vincent retiring from PF

I'm all for getting youth involved in these outdoor activities, but not at the expense of all the other hunters.

What do you think happens when they start shooting at ducks 2 weeks before everyone else? The ducks LEAVE! What do you think happens to the big bucks when there are hunters in the woods with rifles 2 weeks before everyone else? They bucks LEAVE. The DNR is alienating the existing core of hunters by trying to give a younger demographic an advantage. Everyone should have the same opportunity to hunt or fish if they buy a license. It should not be dependent on age, race, gender, etc ... and we're heading down that road.

I didn't mean to specifically call you out on PF and their events. As of right now, there isn't a special youth pheasant season but I can only hope it continues to stay that way.
I think there’s a misunderstanding of these youth events; but even if we’re actually talking about youth hunting events sanctioned by the game and fish dept’s (which we’re not), I’m surprised by the reactions. To be clear, these are events designed to generate interest in the outdoors in our youth…not using computers or I phones, etc. 🥳

I'm all for getting youth involved in these outdoor activities, but not at the expense of all the other hunters.

What do you think happens when they start shooting at ducks 2 weeks before everyone else? The ducks LEAVE! What do you think happens to the big bucks when there are hunters in the woods with rifles 2 weeks before everyone else? They bucks LEAVE. The DNR is alienating the existing core of hunters by trying to give a younger demographic an advantage. Everyone should have the same opportunity to hunt or fish if they buy a license. It should not be dependent on age, race, gender, etc ... and we're heading down that road.

I didn't mean to specifically call you out on PF and their events. As of right now, there isn't a special youth pheasant season but I can only hope it continues to stay that way.
Better stay in MN, IA has the saturday and sunday the week before the pheasant opener for the youth, they can get 1 each day...can't believe there are any left for anyone else! Gim, that is a strange stance on youth hunting. Getting them out earlier, means less competition for them and maybe a bigger benefit is the weather is likely milder. I don't think the youth season put much pressure on the wildlife that I can see. The game animals are still there, unless they were lucky enought to harvest one, which we should hope they do...that might hook them for life! Sometimes you need to give just a little.

Last edited:
Our local chapter here in OH hosts a youth day at a local club. We only have released birds here and PF covers the cost for the birds and the guides volunteer our time and dogs. The bad part is the last couple years we are only getting about half the spots taken. Other than shells there is no cost to the families for this and we also provide food for free. Would think you would have a waiting list for kids to do it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is one of my favorite days of the year though as I enjoy seeing kids out in the field.

Our local chapter here in OH hosts a youth day at a local club. We only have released birds here and PF covers the cost for the birds and the guides volunteer our time and dogs. The bad part is the last couple years we are only getting about half the spots taken. Other than shells there is no cost to the families for this and we also provide food for free. Would think you would have a waiting list for kids to do it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is one of my favorite days of the year though as I enjoy seeing kids out in the field.
That's really surprising. I figured you would have to turn people away for a deal like that. I really want to do one still though.

Off topic, but what a great thing that high school trapshooting has flourished to the degree it has over the past few decades…lots of ancillary benefits that are created…familiarity with guns/gun safety, open mindedness towards hunting (hopefully), etc. These are some of the goals you’d hope that these youth events would have and have some success with…

That's really surprising. I figured you would have to turn people away for a deal like that. I really want to do one still though.
We used to have a waiting list. Pushing for a better job of promoting it. Hopefully we see better results this year. Does t look like I will be able to guide or it this year due to a work commitment.

Off topic, but what a great thing that high school trapshooting has flourished to the degree it has over the past few decades…lots of ancillary benefits that are created…familiarity with guns/gun safety, open mindedness towards hunting (hopefully), etc. These are some of the goals you’d hope that these youth events would have and have some success with…
Living in Duluth do you go grouse hunting?

There were some years (2009-2011, ‘12?) where a flush every 15-20 minutes was almost a given…I’m just a trail walker, afternoons usually.

When I lived in Nebraska I was active in our local PF chapter. I have a lot of great memories from our mentor hunts. One year, the kid I was assigned to missed his first shot at a bird. I reminded him to focus on the head of the bird the next time he had a chance. Shortly thereafter the dog went on point. We eased up to the dog. The bird gets up and flies towards us, angling sharply up. At a range of less than 10', the kid shoulders the gun and squeezes off a quick, but safe shot. The bird tumbles to the ground, nearly landing on us. I took the shotgun from the boy so he could go claim his prize. After the bird stopped flopping all over the place, the boy picks the headless bird up and hollers, "Hey mister, it really worked! I shot his head right off!" The pattern at that range couldn't have been much bigger than a tennis ball, he decapitated that bird. It was an incredibly lucky shot, but I didn't let him know that.

Our mentor hunts were conducted with pen raised birds on private land. The chapter provided breakfast, lunch, shells, a hunting vest and hat. We had an electric clay thrower set up, along with a rimfire range. Each kid was assigned a mentor that stayed with them for the entire day. We taught the kids how to field dress and clean their birds. I believe Pheasants Forever covered the cost of the pheasants. To see a young person who had never handled a gun before, go from the range, to the field, and bag their first bird was pretty awesome. Also, I didn't realize it was a benefit at the time, but nothing we did during these hunts was at the expense of other, adult hunters.

When I lived in Nebraska I was active in our local PF chapter. I have a lot of great memories from our mentor hunts. One year, the kid I was assigned to missed his first shot at a bird. I reminded him to focus on the head of the bird the next time he had a chance. Shortly thereafter the dog went on point. We eased up to the dog. The bird gets up and flies towards us, angling sharply up. At a range of less than 10', the kid shoulders the gun and squeezes off a quick, but safe shot. The bird tumbles to the ground, nearly landing on us. I took the shotgun from the boy so he could go claim his prize. After the bird stopped flopping all over the place, the boy picks the headless bird up and hollers, "Hey mister, it really worked! I shot his head right off!" The pattern at that range couldn't have been much bigger than a tennis ball, he decapitated that bird. It was an incredibly lucky shot, but I didn't let him know that.

Our mentor hunts were conducted with pen raised birds on private land. The chapter provided breakfast, lunch, shells, a hunting vest and hat. We had an electric clay thrower set up, along with a rimfire range. Each kid was assigned a mentor that stayed with them for the entire day. We taught the kids how to field dress and clean their birds. I believe Pheasants Forever covered the cost of the pheasants. To see a young person who had never handled a gun before, go from the range, to the field, and bag their first bird was pretty awesome. Also, I didn't realize it was a benefit at the time, but nothing we did during these hunts was at the expense of other, adult hunters.
That's a great story! You know that kid is still talking about it today!

I won a raffle at our banquet for a father/son "hunt". My son really probably wasn't old enough (8), but I bid to get it started and nobody bid against me. So I talked with the place doing the hunt and they were ok with it as long as I was working with him the whole time. So we get out in this field and the dog goes on point, the guide goes up and literally has to kick the chukkar in the air to get it to fly. I help my son ear back the hammer on his single shot .410/.22 (I know I know not a good first gun, but everyone in my family has used it to start on) he takes aim for a super long time. Pops off his shot and the chukkars keeps on cruising. I make sure his gun is pointing safe and start to tell him that's just part of it, sometimes you miss some. The whole time the guide never took his eyes off it, a couple hundred yards out the chukkars drops like a rock. We looked that bird all over, I must've died of a heart attack or 1 pellet lol! Every time I see that guide now he always brings that story up, I'm not sure if he was more excited or my son but it was definitely a heck of a first bird/first shot at a bird lol!

Wow, didn't realize I typed that much 😂😂

Gim, that is a strange stance on youth hunting. Getting them out earlier, means less competition for them and maybe a bigger benefit is the weather is likely milder. I don't think the youth season put much pressure on the wildlife that I can see. The game animals are still there, unless they were lucky enought to harvest one, which we should hope they do...that might hook them for life! Sometimes you need to give just a little.

I'm not against youth hunting. I'm simply against special seasons for specific demographics. If you don't think that a bunch of teenagers shooting at ducks 2 weeks before everyone else sends the local ducks out of the area, then you must not duck hunt.

Everyone that buys a license can hunt on the opener. That's how it should be for everyone.

In Iowa, "youth season" is for 15 years old and younger. Pheasants and waterfowl youth seasons look like they are 2 days long in Iowa. It must be a different deal in MN...a lot more ducks in MN would be a big difference! Most ducks here are just passing through. I hope you still get a couple and the kids don't ruin it for you.

In Iowa, "youth season" is for 15 years old and younger. Pheasants and waterfowl youth seasons look like they are 2 days long in Iowa. It must be a different deal in MN...a lot more ducks in MN would be a big difference! Most ducks here are just passing through. I hope you still get a couple and the kids don't ruin it for you.

I dont think it's the kids the ruin it -- it's typically the adults taking advantage of it. In KS it sure seems that way -- you should see the photos of bucks posted on the KS hunting and fishing FB page after "Youth" deer season opens. 7-10 yr olds on that page have shot some once in a lifetime deer -- extremely suspect - and have heard many stories of what goes on during youth pheasant season opener. So I see GimRuis point.

Keep in mind that these youth events aren’t the one’s that the states operate and offer; I did take my boys to SD 10+ years ago for their youth hunt, never saw anyone else. I talk to farmers that I’m friends with, they never see anyone doing it. I can see local ducks getting pressured before the northern ducks arrive, but I don’t think pheasants are impacted by a youth hunt when it’s usually warm. I’m leaving for MT/ND pretty soon, I’ve stated my support for PF, lots of differing opinions that people are entitled to…just hope that everyone finds a way to help improve or preserve habitat, other than by buying their license, or a gun or ammo. Nothing would surprise me, I guess. 🧐

The turnout for youth seasons in my area in northeastern SD is pretty limited. One thing I'll add is that, at least the way it used to be, youth deer hunters are limited to antlerless deer. Due to the importance some folks place on big bucks, I think limiting kids to an antlerless deer when they are the first ones in the field makes sense.

Keep in mind that these youth events aren’t the one’s that the states operate and offer; I did take my boys to SD 10+ years ago for their youth hunt, never saw anyone else. I talk to farmers that I’m friends with, they never see anyone doing it. I can see local ducks getting pressured before the northern ducks arrive, but I don’t think pheasants are impacted by a youth hunt when it’s usually warm. I’m leaving for MT/ND pretty soon, I’ve stated my support for PF, lots of differing opinions that people are entitled to…just hope that everyone finds a way to help improve or preserve habitat, other than by buying their license, or a gun or ammo. Nothing would surprise me, I guess. 🧐
Just got my PF Upland Bird Hunting Super Issue. Nice magazine, good articles, great pictures. Another reason to be a member.

As of right now, there isn't a special youth pheasant season but I can only hope it continues to stay that way.
SD has a youth pheasant season. 9 days long; 2 weekends; includes public land. Then the resident 3-day weekend on public land. People get out for those things, myself & my kids included. Pheasants are definitely shot. Then the real mayhem starts with the traditional opener on the 3rd Saturday in Oct. Many of my favorite public spots get hunted multiple times a day for several weeks in a row. Then several times a week for the rest of the season. Yet I manage to shoot pheasants on those spots all season long, & I'm not working terribly hard to do it.🤷‍♂️

Back