Howard Vincent retiring from PF

Besides wanting canceled memberships to rejoin, what’s corrupt about it? And I have no problem with them trying to get expired members to rejoin…I’m one at present, don’t feel at all bothered personally. They probably know it’s the best bang for the buck as far as recruitment. I don’t buy pull tabs, lotto stuff, etc, I’ll spend $35 and get a knife or a duffle bag or a hat and feel OK about it. If they get in trouble with the IRS or have some sort of employee harassment scandal I’ll reconsider! Do people resent that the leaders make a reasonable amount of $? I know lots of people that make big $ and I wouldn’t trade places with them, all the travel and all the hours and all the visibility being the primary reasons.

Additionally, there are some minor things that the state of MN has done here to add more habitat. Mandatory buffer strips along waterways and ditches were implemented under the previous governor (who was a democrat). The agriculture industry obviously pushed back on it because it prevented them from planting row crops right up to the banks of the waterway. After several years though, I can literally see the change its made. There's grass growing there now! It not only adds miles and miles of potential habitat, it improves water quality.
I would argue that PF was involved in making that happen. I'm sure Mark Dayton and the legislature didn't wake up one morning and decide to create the buffer law. I'm sure PF was lobbying for it to happen.

I feel like everyone who gripes about PF expects their $35 to purchase them a bronze plaque to be displayed at the WMA they helped obtain.

Much of the money people donate goes to places other than direct land acquisition. The guy from PF who has the legislatures ear to lobby for things like CRP, buffer strips, etc earns a living too.

And yes, pheasant hunters should be that voice. But whose ear do you have in the legislature? I certainly don't have anyones ear to try and get things done. If people feel like PF isn't getting it done, start your own group. We'll all be here waiting to complain about you 😉

So, I've got a few comments and questions for hyresmack and KsHusker.

Comments:
1. I don't have the resources to buy tens of thousands of acres in pheasant country to improve pheasant hunting.
2. I don't have a degree in wildlife biology to know what best for pheasants to thrive.
3. I don't travel in political circles.
3. I am connected to my state's wildlife commission and very familiar with what they are doing partnering with QF to help improve my state's quail population which has drastically decline in my lifetime. Some progress has been achieved because of those partners and many others including corporations with land holdings.
So, combining state, QF, private funds and volunteers - progress has been made and the decline slowed.
4. I joined PF in the mid 90s and have been a member ever since.
5. I've been carrying a shotgun chasing upland birds for 60 years.

A lot of that is totally irrelevant.

Questions:

1. What's a better place to put my meager resources (money and time) to play to improve pheasant hunting?
2. Who should lead the necessary coordination and communication with elected officials at the local, state and federal level? (I'm NOT volunteering for that job!) It's a critical role if any real progress is to be made.
3. What is your recommendation for improving pheasant hunting and who should lead that effort?
4. Who should be the voice for all pheasant hunters?

Thanks in advance.

I will continue to drink the orange Kool-Aid until a better option is available

WHERE I LIVE -- KS _- you are better off spending money with DU and NWTF or Nature Conservancy -- They provide far more habitat and money in this state than PF -- I'm not going to relay my good friends dealings with PF as that's his story to tell if he wants to - but crimey - PF people he deals with at corporate and upper levels are slimeballs and have no interest in helping the wildlife but it's more about what's in it for them. You can choose to believe me or not - I was a full blown kool-aid drinker myself until his dealings with them, helping with a chapter (QF) and then spending a # of hours (i hate to admit I spent that much time) reviewing their financials after it had been explained to me how some subsidies are paid out and how they work. The chapter was just political and the money and projects only seemed to go to the biggest donors or lackeys of the chapter.

I'm sure DU and NWTF are just as guilty as some things - but habitat wise many on here and other boards that live here will support the fact that you can find projects DU has been involved with that support upland birds (open to the public)-- as well as the fact DU and NWTF are not afraid to work together to sponsor projects and not just want THEIR name on it only and will sponsor things more generously -- again - that is my buddies story to tell and fill in with details.

PF with their MN, Chicago and city boy management at corporate will never be that voice - from what I see their culture is sick and has cancer. They need a serious round of chemo and all of them flushed down the toilet and to start over.

As far as voice of upland hunters - we've brought it up before on here multiple times - but until one of the conservation orgs comes up with a concept or cause that will unite non hunters and hunters alike (the fact that Big ag is poisoning our environment and destroying any eco diversity) and gets Big Ag to change how it's products or which ones/methods are being used nothing will change. This is not an attack on ag producers - they are doing what they think it takes to survive and are partially forced into doing so -- policy has to change and until it does - likely little will change -- $$$ and Power run this country and always have. It's likely worse now than it ever has been as far as corporate interests controlling how we all run our lives and how things work.

It took Dust storms reaching Washington or the east coast somewhere back in the 30s before any serious policy was implemented -- all of us in flyover country are looked at as gnats and slaves for those with the money on the coasts -- until it affects them nothing will happen.

Sorry I'm not too positive - but human nature and greed suck -- the older I get the less I have faith in those in "charge" and the smaller my circle gets. For now PF is not the answer - they will not stand up to big ag to affect positive change.

As long as there are outfits that do good work that you feel good about, that’s great. People can bitch all they want, but if they do nothing with their time or $ what’s the point? DU does a lot of good for pheasants I would say…

In MN, PF works closely with DU, Nature Conservancy, Minnesota Prairie Chicken Society and Sharp Tailed Grouse society, so your experience in KS is different from what I have seen and read about here in MN.

Also, people need to not compare DU and PF. For one major reason, there are federal regulations at play with ducks. There is also a lot more money and people involved with duck hunting than pheasant hunting. There also isn't a federal pheasant stamp that we need to purchase in addition to our state stamp that generates more revenue for ducks and their conservation.

Although a federal pheasant stamp would be a good way to generate revenue, but comparing the 2 is like comparing apples and oranges.

WHERE I LIVE -- KS _- you are better off spending money with DU and NWTF or Nature Conservancy -- They provide far more habitat and money in this state than PF -- I'm not going to relay my good friends dealings with PF as that's his story to tell if he wants to - but crimey - PF people he deals with at corporate and upper levels are slimeballs and have no interest in helping the wildlife but it's more about what's in it for them. You can choose to believe me or not - I was a full blown kool-aid drinker myself until his dealings with them, helping with a chapter (QF) and then spending a # of hours (i hate to admit I spent that much time) reviewing their financials after it had been explained to me how some subsidies are paid out and how they work. The chapter was just political and the money and projects only seemed to go to the biggest donors or lackeys of the chapter.

I'm sure DU and NWTF are just as guilty as some things - but habitat wise many on here and other boards that live here will support the fact that you can find projects DU has been involved with that support upland birds (open to the public)-- as well as the fact DU and NWTF are not afraid to work together to sponsor projects and not just want THEIR name on it only and will sponsor things more generously -- again - that is my buddies story to tell and fill in with details.

PF with their MN, Chicago and city boy management at corporate will never be that voice - from what I see their culture is sick and has cancer. They need a serious round of chemo and all of them flushed down the toilet and to start over.

As far as voice of upland hunters - we've brought it up before on here multiple times - but until one of the conservation orgs comes up with a concept or cause that will unite non hunters and hunters alike (the fact that Big ag is poisoning our environment and destroying any eco diversity) and gets Big Ag to change how it's products or which ones/methods are being used nothing will change. This is not an attack on ag producers - they are doing what they think it takes to survive and are partially forced into doing so -- policy has to change and until it does - likely little will change -- $$$ and Power run this country and always have. It's likely worse now than it ever has been as far as corporate interests controlling how we all run our lives and how things work.

It took Dust storms reaching Washington or the east coast somewhere back in the 30s before any serious policy was implemented -- all of us in flyover country are looked at as gnats and slaves for those with the money on the coasts -- until it affects them nothing will happen.

Sorry I'm not too positive - but human nature and greed suck -- the older I get the less I have faith in those in "charge" and the smaller my circle gets. For now PF is not the answer - they will not stand up to big ag to affect positive change.
Thanks for your response.
Couple of thoughts. I have dealt with PF and QF field types never had a desire to hobnob with the corporate types. The field types IMO are smart, dedicated, down to earth folks -- I support their efforts to improve pheasants and pheasant hunting. I do that by being a member.

One more point -- Numbers matter. 130,000 members and 750 chapters for PF/QF has the potential to get more attention than just one old man like me.

Good luck to you.

SD chapters gave 500,000 to pf programs like conservation lobbyists, no child left indoors, pf biologists . Other expenditures like the youth hunts and money spent to aid with land acquisitions and land improvements are in addition to that amount.
A member from our pf group got the ball rolling on a habitat stamp to raise more money for gf&p. Our group has been part of 4 land acquisitions.

I get fed up with some of the political crap but most of that relates to federal programs and can't be avoided. All in all , I plan to continue to donate my time and money to further the pf cause. As others have said find a better program and I may just jump ship.

Obviously going back and forth on this for/against forever pheasants could go on, wait for it... forever. The real important thing here is, as far as I see it, what are you doing for pheasants? You might donate cash to PF or DU or the nature conservancy, Pro Pheasants, or your local sportsman's club. Maybe you own land and try to "leave a little something for the birds" in terms of grass or food plots. Could be you're dirt floor poor, but you mentor a young kid or two and show them the wonder of hunting for rooster pheasants, passing it on to the future generations. As long as you do something positive we are all better for it. I ain't Richie Rich but I'm buying a pheasant license/stamp in 3 or 4 states. Last year I went to a PF raffle and dropped a bunch of dough. I've been a PF member before, heck I probably still am. I posted about this in a different thread, but this year I'm sticking my pheasant donation into the SD wildlife federation. In the short letter they sent me they downtalked pen-raised birds, mentioned they are grassroots, they fight for public land and water access, and they are against the over commercialization of hunting. Sounds good to me. If you choose to offer financial support for the betterment of pheasants and other wildlife there are lots of options.
Richie Rich.jpg
P.S. ↑↑↑ Richie Rich was a Saturday morning cartoon character from the 80s, and he was loaded!$$$$$

Love the Ritchie Rich reference. Watched that show religiously when I was young. I volunteer a bunch of time, and sit on the national board,for a not for profit that I believe in. While I don’t agree with everything they do I do agree with the over riding mission so that is why I continue to offer time and money towards it. I look at PF the same way. May not love everything they do but glad they are out there at least doing something.

Funny that PF mailer showed up yesterday. Will be sending them a few bucks to help with the fight.

Love the Ritchie Rich reference. Watched that show religiously when I was young. I volunteer a bunch of time, and sit on the national board,for a not for profit that I believe in. While I don’t agree with everything they do I do agree with the over riding mission so that is why I continue to offer time and money towards it. I look at PF the same way. May not love everything they do but glad they are out there at least doing something.

Funny that PF mailer showed up yesterday. Will be sending them a few bucks to help with the fight.
Well put, Matt.

I hope that most people who allege to feel strongly about a cause don’t expect the non-profit(s) that supports it to be basically perfect, especially when there are very few to choose from! I think it’s easier for some to bitch and complain than to just do something proactive and positive. I’m curious what the MN license plates accomplish with
the pheasant or moose or loon, etc, on them? Well stated, Matt, good on you for doing something that you believe in.

I just looked up the critical habitat plate: $10 one time fee, plus an extra $30 per year above normal
cost; $ goes to DNR, and is matched with land or cash to acquire habitat for hunting, hiking, etc. PF was part of the news release when they were unveiled in 2013, and PF helped develop the MN Prairie Habitat Conservation Plan, which the $ from the critical habitat plate is (partly) directed to, in addition to other types of habitat. I can support that….👍

Last edited:
I don't agree with 100% of anything, unless it was my brilliant idea to begin with. 😉 And I'm pretty likely to point something out when I see room for improvement. Some might even call it bitching. But PF is the most effective non-government advocate I've got for pheasants & pheasant hunting. So I'll continue to support them. Your choice is your choice.

Last edited:
I just looked up the critical habitat plate: $10 one time fee, plus an extra $30 per year above normal
cost; $ goes to DNR, and is matched with land or cash to acquire habitat for hunting, hiking, etc. PF was part of the news release when they were unveiled in 2013, and PF helped develop the MN Prairie Habitat Conservation Plan, which the $ from the critical habitat plate is (partly) directed to, in addition to other types of habitat. I can support that….👍
I got one on my truck 😎

See ya. Use to like there model in the 90s early 2000s nowadays not so much. Don't see a big benefit in today's model, plus I think they got too many on the payroll for the little benefit there putting out.

Member of PF, DU, and NWTF. These are all really good organizations, and all have a focus on keeping these amazing opportunities available; not only for us, but for the future - through their youth programs.
IMHO, we are in a better place today with all their efforts, regarding CRP enrollments, specie populations and land access/development, than would have otherwise been the case.

Got my renewal notice today! $35 and I get a blaze orange cap, a neck gaiter, 5 magazines, a decal, and best of all, adhesive address labels (all out) so when I’m filling out BMA cards in MT in 2 weeks I can slap those on the info card. I’d say I’m getting $20 worth of merch. They’d have to be caught destroying habitat under the cover of darkness for me not to renew! 🤪 My guess is sheer #’s are a form of leverage or influence vis-a-vis politicians; easier to be taken seriously when dealing with them.

Last edited:
Back