Howard Vincent retiring from PF

benelli-banger

Dust off your resumes! Howard Vincent is retiring in about 10 months. A few interested in his job were ready to take it for less than 1/2 his current comp…

So you ladies think they will find a bargin priced replacement to run the show? What are you thinking CEOs for organizations of that size/type make? Will it make a difference if they start someone at $100k less...or $100K more??? Why is that the big concern? What group does anything remotely close to what PF does for pheasants? Shouldn't you judge them on what the organization has done and is doing? Guess not it seems.

I hope that there are reasonably well qualified candidates out there who want that job. There’s no amount of $ that could lure me into a job like that. I’m not qualified for the job, to be clear. Just wouldn’t want it. I’m 360 days from retirement…no job sounds any good! But to have to operate so publicly, and answer to so many, and to have to spend time in DC, yada, yada, yada…no thanks. 😠

Last edited:
I really like NFL football. But I'm awfully critical of Roger Goodell and other decisions that come out of the league. None of that changes how much I love the game.

I could care less about PF's CEO/administrative costs. That is what it is. PF pissed me off when they refused to help market an idea for pheasant habitat, just as they pissed me off when they refused to discuss habitat development with me, but they still get membership dues. I think their utilization of pen raised pheasants is blasphemous, but after all that, they are heads above the rest in America when it comes to promoting and creating pheasant habitat. I simply feel they can be better. I don't believe that is hate.

Last edited:
Its really weird how some people will support something irregardless of facts, PF, Hillary/Obama, Trump, etc.
Where others put a little more thought into it.
Sure PF did more for phez total than anybody else. I'd hope so. Their huge! Some Chapters do a good job.
Doesn't make everything they do worth supporting. Doesn't make them always right. Doesn't make them efficient. Doesn't mean there isn't corruption in it. Doesn't mean some local chapters aren't huge turds.
Maybe Howie is real dedicated to phez. But I'd want to know how many times a year he gets out there & hunts wild ones. Curious to see how many trees he planted that weren't just photo ops. Youtube search only makes him look like a mouthpiece catering to city boys. Maybe he's a truly qualified CEO that could go make millions someplace else but decided to spend his time at PF. Maybe he wanted to go elsewhere but was a crap CEO candidate.
Everyone has a opinion. Internet is the place to let them fly. Mine is PF espeically the St Paul part is a big swamp.

PF discussions are always so fun, & I obviously can't just say nothing. But I served myself up a meatball on one of these recently & was told I lost some respect because of it. 😭😭 Never mind that I knocked it out of the park (imho). Luckily, others have pretty well echoed my opinions here & have done a pretty nice job of it.
PF - some good; some not so good. Hope Howard enjoys retirement.

Agreed; some PF good, some not so good. You'll run into that whether it's PF, your Dr., your grocer, your barber, your local bank, or whatever. The cogent question would seem to be--where would pheasant numbers be WITHOUT PF?
I am a Life member of PF-- that doesn't mean I back everything they do. I don't regret the Life membership. I just wish it could result in more habitat.

I dislike criticism without a constructive alternative and follow thru. What have you done to support the pheasants??
I buy a small game license and a pheasant stamp every season. A portion of the license sales go directly to our state agency that manages/regulates our natural resources, and enforces game/fish laws, which include upland birds.

My guess is that we ALL support PF, whether by direct contribution or not. Think of all the business/corporate sponsors/contributors they have. I spend a ton of money with them. My primary contribution to my local pheasant population, though, is keeping the rooster to hen ratio low, preferably in the 1:7 to 1:10 range come spring. Every little bit helps!

I buy a small game license and a pheasant stamp every season. A portion of the license sales go directly to our state agency that manages/regulates our natural resources, and enforces game/fish laws, which include upland birds.
Thank you for your support of pheasant hunting.

I take a similar approach. Buy 20 days of NR license each year.
I'm also a proud member of PF for about 20 years now.
No pheasants where I live but do support QF - not many quail either, at least not like it was when I shot my first quail about 55 years ago.
Great magazine, super photography - always hi-lites for what they do for not only pheasants and how they spend the money. I enjoy reading the articles on pheasant hunting as I have a desire to learn more. I submit that I'm not really an expert on anything and at my age probably never will be.
I get it that there will never be 100% consensus on this topic and respectful discussion should be helpful to make things better.
I've read most if not all the discussion of PF for the last 3 years, thankfully some constructive and supportive.

Right now I believe PF is our best choice, (other than a buying license, staying in motels, buying food - this is where my money really gets SD's attention), to support pheasant hunting.

I dislike criticism without a constructive alternative and follow thru. What have you done to support the pheasants??

Well, unlike some it seems that do, pretty much nothing (by their own admissions), I am not in that camp. Indirectly: I do support PF with a few hundred dollars at our local chapter banquet (these are the funds they can use as they determine), I keep my membership renewed in advance a few years, I purchased 2 additional memberships for landowners where I can pheasant hunt on their land (the memberships pay the CEO, hire lobbyists, hire biologists, fund raise, etc). I don't count any stamps, license fees or taxes paid on hunting related equipment as voluntary support...you wouldn't be paying it, if you had a choice I am guessing.

Directly: We have filter/buffer strips on waterways on 3 of our farms, additional 142 acres enrolled in CRP until 2030 and have an additional close to 10 acres taken out of production with a variety of trees/shrubs and food plots planted in it. These areas a FULL of birds! This past year, if you were to hunt with me, and if you didn't see a hundred in a morning, it would be unusual. I do love pheasants, creating habitat for them and hunting them. I spend countless hours of my free time in the summers improving our habitat (planting trees/shrubs & removing others, spraying thistles, planting fiood plots, etc).

I am blessed to have land to do this on. If I didn't have this opportunity, I would put more money and time into PF to accomplish this elsewhere. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how folks who really enjoy pheasants can take issue with PF as some do here. Usually it is just hearsay or some nonsense that they heard and they are repeating mindlessly. Get involved with your local chapter, volunteer, be on the board...they will welcome you! You will get to be involved in the decisions of which projects and causes they spend their money and time on....once you have done such, then bitch away, until then, you have no idea what you are even ragging about. A shameless supporter of all things pheasant related here.

Back to the PF CEO, as B-B alluded to, it is a very demanding position that will require they pay a generous salary to get someone with a vast knowledge of everything business related, but also including the dirty work of lobbying & fund raising. They likely will have (should have) connections in government and know how to push/promote adgendas to those in high positions that can influence decisions such as farm bills and other enviromental legislation. With many CEOs the lobbying and knowledge/connections with that, is likely not a priority, they just need to be knowledgeable of the specific business climate, be profitable (increase revenues & lower expenses) and grow said business...this would be a much more difficult position than most CEO positions I believe.

In my opinion, the best way to effect change as far as habitat is concerned is to give a landowner a reason to, even if it’s a small chunk of marginal ground that could be enrolled in an income generating program…easement, CRP, buffer strip, whatever. And, give them additional incentive…maybe there’s a farmhouse that could serve as a hunting lodge and some income could come from that…there’s a bunkhouse advertised here that gets $90/nite, no land included. People often split a motel room and it’s $50 per guy per nite, and you have to eat out a meal or more per day. God forbid, you could also pay to hunt some ground that’s been worked back into habitat. At a minimum have a chat with a landowner any time you can…learn about his situation. Take a kid/grandkid out hunting, too…that belongs to the farmer! It works. Obviously you have to know them fairly well…but offer if it’s feasible. Yes, crop prices are high, but inputs are as well…it’s a high-wire act right now…not easy. Just meeting these guys where they’re at is helpful…sometimes it’s easier opening up to a stranger than the next farmer down the road. Anyway, giving a guy some incentive to make small changes to inferior ground could result in some good. Or not. But not a lot is required by us to have that chat, especially if part of a broader visit about how things are going in his little corner of the world…

Back