How to stop my gsp from chasing rabbits

DIRKNPHEZ

Gentleman i have a gsp who works the field great. Listens well and usually is an all around exceptional dog. But when he gets on a rabbit he looses all control and takes off like a bat out of hell. Forgets all about me and just takes off. If i can see it from the get go and hit him with the e collar fast enough it might stop him. It has been suggested to me to shoot one of these rabbits and shove it down his throat and that should make him stop. It just doesnt sound right to me. Has anyone tried this or have any other ideas? Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

My GSP also "used to" chase rabbits and deer. Turn the e collar all the way up and shock the $hit out of him/her. It worked for me. My GSP is now 10 years old and a great hunting dog, and has been for about 7 years.

The first 3 years of a GSP can be very trying, but e collars have helped a bunch.

Good luck!

dont shoot the rabbit that will only make the dog chase more of them. Maybe try moving the other direction from him and the rabbit and make sure the dog knows you want nothing to do with rabbits or the dog if its on one

Heard stories from the old timers that would shoot the rabbit then tie it to the dog's collar and make them carry it around all day, seemed to get the point across from what I was told.

Turn your collar up hot take him to a place were you know there are rabbits when he chases don't say anything hit him with the collar. I mean hold the button down until he breaks chase. If he chases again repeat the process. The key is not to acklowedge the rabbit. Let something strike from above. I had a professional trainer tell that is how he breaks them from chasing deer rabbits etc. It works.

Greatlawn

My oldest EP would actually go into deer hunting mode once he jumped one. He was no good for a few hours after. Cranked up the juice on a deer chase and he never chased or hunted deer again.

Turn your collar up hot take him to a place were you know there are rabbits when he chases don't say anything hit him with the collar. I mean hold the button down until he breaks chase. If he chases again repeat the process. The key is not to acklowedge the rabbit. Let something strike from above. I had a professional trainer tell that is how he breaks them from chasing deer rabbits etc. It works.

Greatlawn

:10sign:

This guy knows what he's talking about.....listen to him.

rabbit hunting

smarten up, hunt some place where there are pheasants and not rabbits. those old hunter tricks probably won't work very well, if you have a shock collar and are quick with it, you can make chasing rabbits less fun, just do it and do it before he gets very far away. never shoot the rabbit, you would be training the dog in more bad habits

cheers

smarten up, hunt some place where there are pheasants and not rabbits. those old hunter tricks probably won't work very well, if you have a shock collar and are quick with it, you can make chasing rabbits less fun, just do it and do it before he gets very far away. never shoot the rabbit, you would be training the dog in more bad habits

cheers

:confused:

i don't know what it is like where you live, but around me, rabbits are EVERYWHERE! if one were to try to stay away from rabbits, they would have to stay home.

I would stop hunting the dog and go back and revisit obedience training. Sounds like you have a dog that hunts for himself and not for you. Every dog needs to be obedience trained, then collar conditioned.

It is very poor advise to encourage someone to shock a dog that may not have been collar conditioned. Much easier to get the point across if a dog understands basic commands.

shock

I would stop hunting the dog and go back and revisit obedience training. Sounds like you have a dog that hunts for himself and not for you. Every dog needs to be obedience trained, then collar conditioned.

It is very poor advise to encourage someone to shock a dog that may not have been collar conditioned. Much easier to get the point across if a dog understands basic commands.

prey tell how you are going to condition a dog on chasing rabbits and to get your so called point across to the dog without pain. reading him a book just ain't gonna cut it. when chasing a rabbit a dog need to know just one thing, chasing them hurts, get over it.

cheers

I'll tell ya how! It's called the word "NO"!
And, YES, the dog SHOULD be collar conditioned before just shocking the crap out of him!
I've never seen a thread with more useless advice! Sorry,...but "shove a rabbit down his throat"!!! Wow!
In case you don't know how to collar condition a dog, I'm gonna give you a quick cliff notes version, for the dog's sake.

First off, figure out what setting he feels. You're looking for the slightest reaction. Every dog is different.
Next, he needs to KNOW a command. I like "kennel" for collar conditioning.

Start him 5-10 feet from his kennel and command "KENNEL" and immediately press the continuous stimulation until you see him MOVING TOWARDS, or even INTENDING TO KENNEL, and then IMMEDIATELY let off on the stimulation.

After a few times (but keep this up until you know he's learned it), he will have learned that COMPLIANCE TO THE COMMAND will stop the stimulation.
He learns that HE CONTROLS IT!

After "KENNEL" is conditioned, move on to another command THAT HE KNOWS. But, don't TEACH the commands this way. He must already know them, so if you haven't taught any commands yet, you need to back up and start some basic obedience. THEN, overlay it with the collar.

I've seen every one of these old tricks done on coonhounds, and none of them work. I've seen dogs beat with possums, I've seen skunks tied to collars, they just don't work. Teach the dog and let him learn!

Hunt where there aren't any rabbits...give me a break!!

And, in case you didn't know, your dog was originally bred to hunt rabbits! You can't blame him for wanting to chase something he was designed to chase. You've just got to teach him that it's not desirable.

Something else that I don't think was mentioned. The dog's age. If this is a young pup we're talking about, I wouldn't come down on him too hard. Let him build that fire of enthusiasm, but work on your obedience.

aw heck...dog is smart.

treat him as if he will be killed if he continues it--no kidding.

I live in family dairy farm country and walked my GWPs through pastures of cows. Young Bert was a 2.5 y/o male when I got him, untrained, uncivilized, and about to be put down by his (jerkface) original owner.

Chase cows in dairy county and you're a dead dog.

Every step, every turn of the head towards a cow as we walked through them got a zap and a shouted NO! Every single one. Then, we'd turn back and do the same thing. Day after day after day after day. Took less than a week, don't remember now, but YB was completely indifferent to the dairy cows from those days on...til the end of his days nine years later.

Truly, not once did I consider tying a cow to his neck.

It's not a one-lesson thing, but it is not that hard.

be safe, have fun

He is a 2.5 yr old. He is already collar conditioned. I had him trained for 5 months starting at 6 months. He already knows the word no its just if he catches one out of my range and i dont see it fast enough. Which i understand is probably my fault. It happens only a couple times a year. It was just fresh in my head because he did it on the last field sunday afternoon. I was just wondering what everyone had to say about it. It is up to me to notice it fast enough to stop it. This is my first gun dog. So i am learning everything as we go. And it has been a blast. Dont know if i could ever hunt with out one again.

Back