How often do you encounter the law?

I believe as a whole wildlife officers are the nicest of all the law enforcement. They have what is a dream job for most of them.

I saw my local CO again yesterday and texted him. He replied have you been hunting the piece just north of where we passed each other. I replied yes it is pretty good. He replied should even be better with snow. Good luck have a safe hunt.

My youngest and I got the privilege of going through a SD Game Warden checkpoint last weekend they had set along the highway. They were very cordial, professional, and expedient. The initial officer on the road asked if we have been hunting that day, and we had, and he asked us to pull into the checkpoint area off the road. Once we pulled in behind another truck another CO walked up to the truck window and asked the same question. Once we answered we had he very politely asked for our hunting licenses. He checked mine on my phone and was good to go. He asked how long we had been hunting and where. Once that was done he asked if he could take a look at our game. We dug it out, he took about 30 seconds to look them over, and gave us the 'all good'. Again, he was really nice and professional. It was a great interaction.
Yeah they are good guys,but they need to really stick it to poachers, and they don't usually. There needs to be more of them out there.

Another thing worth trying now that you have the grinder is a bacon ranch pheasant burger sandwich.

Two pheasants (4 breasts)
1/2lb bacon
Grind with medium plate
Mix in 1/4 packet of powdered ranch season (more if you want a huge flavor punch) by hand, lightly so you do not break up the meat too bad.
Form into patties on parchment paper
Cook on medium heat in a pan on stovetop with a little bit of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Be careful not to burn before the internal is completely cooked, there is added ground pork product so it must go to 160F.

Serve on brioche bun with mayo, lettuce, and tomato. It is amazing. A little buffalo sauce makes a great addition too.

For those who cant shoot, you can substitute chicken breast 😉
I just ground a batch last night and cooked a couple big paddies after work. Grabbed some fancy buns and tomato with mayo, cooked to 160*....those were frickin delicious and super easy! Pretty amazing! Thanks KEO! The sausage I make isn't quite your recipe, but I now have a kick-butt recipe for that. I have a different job since last season and just don't have the time as I have had in the past to preparing food. Had the wife grab a head of lettuce and will add that tomorrow after hunting. Guys, if you have a meat grinder, try this one.

I actually used the breasts from 3 birds and I ended up with a thigh in the mix too, with a 12 ounce pack of bacon and a big spoonful of the dry ranch seasoning, maybe a third of the package. I let it sit a day before cooking, not sure if that is necessary, but I figured the spices would better rehydrate better with more time. I do the same with sausage. I wish I still had some fresh garden tomatoes with these.

I just ground a batch last night and cooked a couple big paddies after work. Grabbed some fancy buns and tomato with mayo, cooked to 160*....those were frickin delicious and super easy! Pretty amazing! Thanks KEO! The sausage I make isn't quite your recipe, but I now have a kick-butt recipe for that. I have a different job since last season and just don't have the time as I have had in the past to preparing food. Had the wife grab a head of lettuce and will add that tomorrow after hunting. Guys, if you have a meat grinder, try this one.

I actually used the breasts from 3 birds and I ended up with a thigh in the mix too, with a 12 ounce pack of bacon and a big spoonful of the dry ranch seasoning, maybe a third of the package. I let it sit a day before cooking, not sure if that is necessary, but I figured the spices would better rehydrate better with more time. I do the same with sausage. I wish I still had some fresh garden tomatoes with these.

Glad you like it Remy! This is one i came up with on my own, but like anything I am sure someone has done it in the past.

KEO, what else you got up your sleeve that is quick and dirty? That last one has just 3 ingredients, opposite of the sausage I am making, it has 10 spices plus pheasant and pork. Cooking of either is nothing...just my style!

Got my three this morning, a runner escaped, and my buddy anchored a single. Got home and made the pheasant-bacon burgers again, pretty dang good. I know what I am doing with my 3 fresh birds in a few minutes here. Gave my buddy a pound or so to try....awaiting his review. Sorry to take this thread off track, but it was worth it!
pheasant sandwiches 2.jpgPheasant sandwiches.jpg

Got my three this morning, a runner escaped, and my buddy anchored a single. Got home and made the pheasant-bacon burgers again, pretty dang good. I know what I am doing with my 3 fresh birds in a few minutes here. Gave my buddy a pound or so to try....awaiting his review. Sorry to take this thread off track, but it was worth it!
View attachment 6757View attachment 6756
Silly question, why no thigh meat?

Those look fantastic!

Well for me...I can't be certain there is no shot in those. I will use those in something I am making just for myself. The thighs should be fine if you wanted to use those. Maybe three birds breast & thighs plus a pound of bacon.

Holy crap those look good. Anyone know of a grinder that won't break the bank??I looked into them after seeing this. They aint cheap.

I said WTH and stepped-up to a nicer LEM. It will out-last me. If you have a Kitchen Aide mixer on the counter, they make a couple different grinder attachments for it, google it. Probably not designed for much use. Just ate those again. I just ground up and seasoned 9 birds this weekend, the 6 fresh ones, I froze the ground product for later, still have a couple pounds in the fridge from 3 frozen/thawed birds. I have maybe 12 pounds or so of breakfast sausage, with 8 in the freezer too, I am using the grinder every weekend now. I questioned myself buying a quality one, but I was afraid the cheaper ones, with plastic inside them, would not last.

Over the many years of hunting and fishing I have been checked by the conservation officers six times.
2 times in Mn pheasant hunting and 1 in SD, 3 times deer hunting and 1 time ice fishing.

Over the many years of hunting and fishing I have been checked by the conservation officers six times.
2 times in Mn pheasant hunting and 1 in SD, 3 times deer hunting and 1 time ice fishing.
I've always carried a big 12.Now that I'm older,and more refined, I like the expensive over under 28.

In 50 years, maybe 10 times,in several states.I ticket for shooting after sundown. I warning for shooting hen, one warning for not wearing orange.

I hunt SD public land 30+/- times a year, so I'm a prime candidate. But I probably only get checked once every couple years. I don't think they've ever (maybe once?) checked whether I was shooting non-tox. Sometimes they chat for a few minutes & don't ask to see my license. Quite honestly, the few wardens in the counties I hunt probably know my truck.
Why non tox?

Back