How long of a hunt?

I have a Garmin, so I know exactly how fast my dog is running. When she starts to tire and dog it, I pick her up. Her hunting speed is 5-7 MPH depending on the cover. Her trial speed is double that!

I need to pick up a Garmin!

funny, for all these years i have made it without one....i still don't feel the need.;)

I thought that when I was a youngster, then I hunted over a well trained dog. Now, I would give up my shotgun before I would hunt without a dog. However, I fully understand dogs are not for everyone.

If you know your dog well enough, I think you know when to quit. However, that can be easier said then done when you have traveled 1000 miles or more.

I think he is talking about the Garmin. I have a dc-40 and find it to be a great tool. I can check at a glance and see where the dog is.

Just got home. The dogs (and hunters) hunted 12 days straight, 4-6hrs a day. Pheasant season is short around here and not to many birds so when we hit it we hit it hard. Heading back up tomorrow for 2 more days and these springers wouldn't have it any other way.

Back