How long of a hunt?

modog1

How long do you guys usually run your dogs for, especially on a multi-day outing. I hunted hard all weekend and the dog seems to need a little more recovery time this year than in the past. We have our annual SD hunt coming up and was wondering what others are doing.

In the past he would hunt hard for all five days with midday breaks, but I think this might be a little much this year. He is still in great shape and kinda young (7 years old). I just don't wont to overwork him, if I give him the opportunity he wont stop hunting but also don't want to injure him either.

I would say that you are the one that knows your dog. Put him in the crate whenever you feel it is in his best interest. Then, get more dogs so you can hunt more!

I am trying to talk the wife into one more dog. My second dog turned 14 this year so he is staying home.

I try and just make a judgement call with my older dog. I usually let her hunt everyday. I run all I have in the grass in the morning. Then as I hunt certain cover types, I give dogs breaks. Like my older dog I will not hunt her again for the day if we continue to hunt CRP. If we hunt cut corn, milo, or wheat I will let her hunt as she won't range like my younger ones. On multi day trips, which I do a lot of, I also give the dogs Gatorade to drink at night and in the morning. I also give them each about 1000mg of vitamin C each night. Another thing is try to get them to drink as much water before hunting as possible, and feed a high quality food. This is what I do and it has always seemed to work. The main cause for sreness in a dog is dehydration, once a dog is in shape.

I like the Vitamin C idea! I started using the hunt dog hunt supplement about 6 weeks ago and will continue with it. I have also though about investing in some of the hydration supplements like C9. Thanks for the tips.

Im not sure if this is accurate or not but my vet says don't waste money on the dog specific stuff. He claims dogs can get all they need from Gatorade, which has seemed to work for me for years. I forgot one other thing usually a peanut butter and honey sandwhich will give them a little lift mid day.

Every dog is different. My oldest just turned 8 and still goes hard but doesnt have quite the stamina he once did. I have found hunting him about 2/3 of a day works well. Usually this is a hunt in the morning - early pm, good break in the afternoon, and then late afternoon hunt. This keeps him going strong and usually he gets through 5 days fine, although he doesn't leave the couch the first few days we get home. Temp has alot to do with it as well,. If temps are warm (i:e >60), his hunts may be even shorter as he doesnt tolerate heat as well as he used to. I have a younger dog (2) that will go all day for the 5 days but I usually give him a break at some point too. If I only had one, I wouldnt hesitate to hunt him all day but dont need to push him that hard and it assures that they will both be going strong at day 4 or 5. I also try to get them out grouse hunting quite a bit b4 we head to SD. The conditioning associated with this has helped significantly, IMO.

i run 2 dogs, a 4 year old PP and a 7 year old WHV. i typically travel far and hunt 5-6 days consecutively, alternating dogs between fields, except on occasion when i need more dog power. this allows me to take long trips and spend many hours with a dog on the ground for almost a week.

it may sound silly, but they always wear soft boots, which keep their feet from getting beat up and sore.....6 days is a lot of dog miles.

A big factor is heat and sunshine, the more of either, the more it takes out of the dog.

A big factor is heat and sunshine; the more of either, the more it takes out of the dog.

4 to 7 days in ND for phez is as hard on my dog as nearly a whole season of grouse in Michigan. I have two dogs, old wiem and a gsp puppy. Out west just tears them up, thorns, wheat stubble, cat tails, etc. VS pine needles, soft sandy soil with a few briars, in Michigan. However, we all love it out there. Going again soon as a matter of fact. Can't wait!

A big factor is heat and sunshine; the more of either, the more it takes out of the dog.

For sure sir. In SD this year a couple guys said they gave one of there labs heat stroke!!! How in the hell do you do that???:mad: Water, water, water.

My guy had his paws worn down a bit. Led us to fishing on the last day, which was also fun. Find something else to do and let the poor guy recover.

Out west just tears them up, thorns, wheat stubble, cat tails, etc.

I hear ya, last year we hunted in some areas where there were some thick sand burs, and the cattails cut up my dogs eyes and nose pretty bad especially when it is cold out. I try to coat the top of his nose with some EMT gel but it really does not help all that much. He also splits the end of his tail open each season so the poor guys running around with vet wrap and duct tape on the tip of his tail.

All in all though he is doing what he loves and won't stop for a cut nose, bleeding tail and swollen paws.

I just got back tonight from 14 days inn SD then 3 in Ne. My Llewellin hunted each day. Generaly I ran him 3 hrs or so in the am a couple hour break then we hit it hard for a couple more. The first week can;t start till noon so little different . I was normaly done by 2 or 3. It was alittle tougher in Ne never did limit there. He went to the vet twice for a cut eye. He also cut his tonge pretty good. I thought he was lean and mean before we left but I think he lost another 5 lbs or so. We hunted with some labs an springers they just could not keep up. They cover way less ground and tire quickly. I do run mine everyother day year round and condition with a 4 wheeler before we leave. I take lots of water and ice cubes, he loves ice cubes. I hope to go back for a little snow hunt in a few weeks if things work out.

I hunt 3-7 days out in ND. I hnut MN alot since I live there. I use 3 dogs and run 2 at a time 1 is always resting in the truck and not happy about it! :eek: But that is how I keep them fresh. I give extra feed at night and in the morning.

Lots of water and/or Gatoraid.

As mentioned, 1/2 tablet of Rymadil morning and evening on a hard hunt week works great!

I also carry a tube of Nutri-Cal and give it as an energy boost a few times a day...it's about the size of a toothpaste tube, easy to carry and dog loves it.

A couple months prior to and during hunting season, 50 mg of Zinc Gluconate daily will make the pads tougher than shoe leather. Available at any decent health food store. (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc.)

I also carry Q-tips and contact lens saline solution to clean out the junk that can collect in the dog's eyelids after a full day of busting cover.

All these can help extend the day and make for a better hunt.

I just got back tonight from 14 days inn SD then 3 in Ne. My Llewellin hunted each day. Generaly I ran him 3 hrs or so in the am a couple hour break then we hit it hard for a couple more. The first week can;t start till noon so little different . I was normaly done by 2 or 3. It was alittle tougher in Ne never did limit there. He went to the vet twice for a cut eye. He also cut his tonge pretty good. I thought he was lean and mean before we left but I think he lost another 5 lbs or so. We hunted with some labs an springers they just could not keep up. They cover way less ground and tire quickly. I do run mine everyother day year round and condition with a 4 wheeler before we leave. I take lots of water and ice cubes, he loves ice cubes. I hope to go back for a little snow hunt in a few weeks if things work out.

Quite a dog!

I picked up some rymadil at the vet today while I was in for a health certificate. Can't wait to get to SD.

If the weather is warm or sunny dogs need breaks and shade lots of water of course. With two dogs I give breaks. Most of the areas I hunt have water, ponds streams etc. My Labs cool off quickly with a good swim.
In warm weather I think about 2 hours at a time per dog.
Dogs get sore feet, sore noises I adjust accordingly.

This is a pretty tough question to answer. But overall, Im happy hunting my brittany in the morning 8am-12, or in the afternoon. I rarely will hunt her for a morning hunt and an afternoon hunt unless shes getting breaks throughout the day. However, if shes running at the same speed shes running trials she can go for about 2 hours and then shes done. IMO, a dog can usually hunt half a day for a couple days in a row at a speed that I like. Slow dogs can hunt all day for several days in a row, but IMO those dogs are about as much fun as watching paint dry... I have a Garmin, so I know exactly how fast my dog is running. When she starts to tire and dog it, I pick her up. Her hunting speed is 5-7 MPH depending on the cover. Her trial speed is double that!

Back