How do you store your double gun?

onpoint

Do you store it assembles, broke down in a case, with snap caps fired, unfired

Mine are stored assembles and fired(de-cocked) with snap caps. I NEVER fire the gun with the gun assembled. First off, it makes it tough to put the barrels on when it's de-cocked. Also some people have broke the firing pins when reassembling the gun. I NEVER store any of my guns in a case. Cases draw moisture and promote rust.

How do you choose to store your double gun?

Why do you store your sxs barrels down and your auto with the barrels up? If oil running down into the stock is an issue on the sxs wouldn't it be the same on the auto. I've always (50+ years) stored my guns uncased with the barrels up and never had a problem with oil running into the stock. My feeling is if you have oil running down and getting into the stock you are applying way too much oil.

RR, would that SxS on the left be a Legacy Verona 662 Fausti Stefano?

Reason is, I have a real want for one in 28ga

10-4

The reason I'm looking at the Legacy Verona 662 Fausti Stefano is, it's one of the only 28ga doubles built on a 28 gauge frame of it's own. Not a 20ga frame.

It's a real sweet heart

I see Merkel has some dandy 28ga's built on 28ga frames as well. Very nice stuff

Onpoint

Last edited:
Barrels down in the safe. I don't use snap caps as they sweat. I don't worry about cocked or decocked. I have never had any of my firearms have a broken firing pin from dry firing.

10-4

The reason I'm looking at the Legacy Verona 662 Fausti Stefano is, it's one of the only 28ga doubles built on a 28 gauge frame of it's own. Not a 20ga frame.

It's a real sweet heart

I see Merkel has some dandy 28ga's built on 28ga frames as well. Very nice stuff

Onpoint

The Fausti sounds like a winner.

I've gotten away from the 28 gauge, but I had a little Ruger Red Label 28 that I liked very much. Neat little OU. Now I reload 3/4 and 7/8 oz for my 16 gauge and my Merkel only weighs 6 lbs, so that is now my 28, 20, and 16 gauge rolled into one.

That other SxS in my safe is a Ruger Gold Label, and that gun has the tiniest 12 gauge frame I've ever seen. It makes the 20 gauge frame on my 1620 look like a hog. I bought it lightly used for a good price and now the prices have went through the roof on them. They were discontinued in 2006.

Have you shot the Gold Label at all? I thought when they were available (I only saw one on a rack, Cabela's in Rogers MN I beleive), that the frame looked a little lite the way those barrels sit on top. Did it kick? Wished I had bought one as an investment.
________
BUY GRINDERS

Last edited:
Back