How do you deal with unethical folks?

CharBroiled

I just wanted your opinions on how you would have dealt with unethical folks?

Several years back, I was hunting a patch where I was under the impression I was the only one who had permission to be at this particular field. The landowner said I could take whomever I wanted pretty much whenever i wanted.

I showed up with my three other buddies and found someone in the field. They had chased quail from across the road and jumped over. With some fast talking they had me convinced they had permission to be there but promptly left as we began our walk.

It turns out they didn't have permission when I talked to the landowner. I informed the landowner of their names.

What would you have done?

are you saying they were trespassing?
if so, call the cops
However, cops dont deal with unethical situations.
Not sure what youre saying

I used to get worked up, gun but mad. LOL, but now I just let the warden handle it. With new laws, I don't have much trouble anymore. I just go to another spot. Next time out, it is as if no one was there most times. Not worth the agrivation. The law takes care of all the fuss, most times.

Once we were hunting some CRP "corners" around a pivot on opening day. It was private ground and we had permission, but it was unposted. We were hunting the south two corners when a fleet of trucks pulls up and begins hunting the north two corners. This was back in the good old days, maybe 08 or 09. Both our group and the other group had great success.

I was skeptical that they had permission since I was the one who had talked to the landowner to arrange our permission and he didn't mention any other groups. Although I considered calling the landowner, I decided not to do so. After all, it's very possible they contacted him after I did and most successfull farmers work nearly 7 days a week. Most of them have more important things to do than run of trespassers so I can shoot more birds. Besides, by the time he got there it would probably have been too late.

I never talked to the other group, and never got close enough to take a license plate number. A couple weeks later I was talking to the landowner about another trip and asked him if anyone else had permission--the answer was no. No doubt about it, they were trespassing. I still wish I would have called him that day.

big deal

I used to get worked up, gun but mad. LOL, but now I just let the warden handle it. With new laws, I don't have much trouble anymore. I just go to another spot. Next time out, it is as if no one was there most times. Not worth the agrivation. The law takes care of all the fuss, most times.

you're right, not really much you can do about it and the fuss will cost you hunting time. it happens but not very often, unless there is serious damage both the law and the farmer/rancher really don't want to get very involved as to do something about it, it takes a lot of time and effort. grin and bear it and go hunt someplace else.

cheers

you're right, not really much you can do about it and the fuss will cost you hunting time. it happens but not very often, unless there is serious damage both the law and the farmer/rancher really don't want to get very involved as to do something about it, it takes a lot of time and effort. grin and bear it and go hunt someplace else.

cheers

Spot on. Never involve the land owner unless you know them well. If it is a spot that they don't know you, many times it will result in them saying no next time. Just to avoid the hassle during harvest.

I never talked to the other group, and never got close enough to take a license plate number. A couple weeks later I was talking to the landowner about another trip and asked him if anyone else had permission--the answer was no. No doubt about it, they were trespassing. I still wish I would have called him that day.

Im not a landowner yet so cant speak from their point of view, but some of the ones Ive picked their brains on about it....it seems its probably best not to say anything, other than to maybe mention it in passing with your next conversation...unless said trespassers are committing grossly negligent acts such as tearing up the place then saying something would be covering your own ass and Id probably say it sooner than later.

Anyways, in a nutshell what Ive gotten is that sometimes they get sick of people saying So and So was trespassing, or was so and so supposed to be there....they see some of that as petty bickering and they may get to the point where they tell everyone no.

I personally wouldnt say anything unless I saw said trespassers tearing stuff up. Other than that I would casually mention it in a later conversation so as to not make it seem like you are stirring up trouble. Not really worth it if there is nothing to it and dont want to make it seem like you are in gradeschool tattling on someone else. As someone else mentioned you never know if they gave someone permission after they spoke with you, if they are neighbors, distant relatives etc. Just never know unless you have a very close friendship.

Last edited:
My favorite trespassing story was when I was a kid. This guy pulls up and asks my dad who gave him permission to hunt this land? My dad was kinda puzzled and did not respond right away. The guy then started ranting about us getting off this land because we were trespassing. He was so fired up my dad was having trouble getting a word in. When dad finally got a chance to say something he explained that no one had given him permission to hunt this land because my dad owned it. This guy would have none of that. He said there was no way my dad owned this land. He had sole permission to hunt this land and it was given to him by the owner. We finally convinced the guy to leave when we mentioned how many loaded firearms we had and how he did not have one.

I always wished I knew the full story on that. Did some guy pull a prank on him? Or was he a mile off from where he really had permission? He was so sure of himself I probably would have believed him, had we not owned the land for two years already.

I would probably mention it to the landowner casually just to make sure IF the other party did something stupid I would not be blamed for it. Definitely would not go out of my way to make a big deal out of it.

Interesting thread.....I say this because while out this past weekend hunting here in Colorado (I know, fruitless, however we gave it our best shot), we were hunting the Rooster roundup near Burlington. The rotary club enlists several landowners/ranchers/farmers and they donate their land or land and it is posted with a particular color for the year to indicate that it is okay to hunt and they provide you a map as well.

Well, as we were driving around, my 14yr old son would ask, "Dad, can we hunt that place, tree row, field, whatever"....my response is no we can't because we don't have permission or it isn't one of the fields or places that is marked for the roundup. We even saw hen pheasants in one field next to a tree row and believe you me we were tempted, however we just kept on driving(it wasn't on the list and we didn't have permission)....those were the only birds we saw all day except for the one that flushed wild on the first field we hunted in the morning.

My point is that I am trying to set a good example for my son. I know not everyone does, however I do. Maybe it is my over 20yrs in the Air Force and military training and the core values that I learned that keep me doing the right thing.

Because the definition of integrity is doing the right thing when NO ONE is looking or around.

Good thing is we are heading to Kansas next week for our annual trip and I have PLENTY of private ground to hunt with permission of course ;)

Greg

Last edited:
I know exactly what you're saying retvrman.

Back when this happened, it was before everyone had a cell phone, myself included. I just wanted to make sure when I talked with the landowner later, they had permission. He thanked me when I told him the story and appreciated me making sure of everything. Because it was privately owned by one of my best friend's dad and because I was the one who posted the No Hunting signs there, I felt a sense of responsibility to make sure everything was in order.

I try to take the best care of what I can control when I'm at private ground or on WIHA. I can't count the number of times we've rolled up on a tract of WIHA to find someone just getting out of the trucks ahead of us. A smile and a wave and we move on, rather than jump in on them. (And believe me, I've been jumped in on a few times)

I can't count the number of times we've rolled up on a tract of WIHA to find someone just getting out of the trucks ahead of us. A smile and a wave and we move on, rather than jump in on them. (And believe me, I've been jumped in on a few times)

The bolded part is why I refuse to go to North Central Kansas the first 2-3 weeks of season if any part of it.

There is one sure cure: Go to Kansas State University spending 5 years to get a 4 year degree, work for poverty pay in the summer as a seasonal in conditions people get arrested for putting their pet in, interview repeatedly for jobs you're overqualified for, get hired, attend the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center for 14 weeks away from your family when they're at an impressionable age, and carry your badge, glock, and cuffs in the field! Works for me:)

Last edited:
There is one sure cure: Go to Kansas State University spending 5 years to get a 4 year degree, work for poverty pay in the summer as a seasonal in conditions people get arrested for putting their pet in, interview repeatedly for jobs you're overqualified for, get hired, attend the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center for 14 weeks away from your family when they're at an impressionable age, and carry your badge, glock, and cuffs in the field! Works for me:)

If your not going to get paid for something, may as well be something you love!! Not many people can boast as you are writing a ticket that this is your office!!! Lots of hours for free in your line of work. Always on call!!

I got a written letter from the landowner giving me authority to kick out trespassers . However, if it came down to going to court, he would still have to take the time and go with me. But at least he doesn't have to deal with them until that point.

I don't know how "legal" it is, but when I give someone written permission I also write on the paper that I authorize them to act on my behalf in calling the sheriff if they find a trespasser... I sign it and put my phone number and the county sheriff's phone number on there.

I have found deer stands before, that didn't belong to me or anybody I have allowed to hunt my land. And I get one or two trailcam pics a year of weirdos wandering around out there, that usually look like they are drunk or messed up on drugs.

I make sure my friends know that I expect them to treat my land like it was theirs, and protect it from people who want to trash it, steal things, poach, etc,.:cheers:

I had a episode yesterday. Decided to finish cutting beans before the weekend rain. Bow turtle Jr's dog went with me. He got bored on combine so was laying on my tailgate when 4 quail hunters pulled in to the field. He greeted them politely and was met with a kick and a cussing. They still had the balls to tell me they were going to hunt. They denied kicking bow. Asked them politely to leave. Loaded bow back up on combine. They were getting the dogs out when the area CO happened by. I spoke with him and he asked for their autographs and one had a put me in cuffs warrant to boot. Bad deal for them. Thanked CO for patrolling.

One of my pet peeves is people that have permission to hunt ground acting like they own it. Just because the landowner gave you permission to hunt, doesn't mean you can run everyone else off or call the law. As a landowner, I can guarantee you that involving the landowner in will more than likely mean you won't hunt it again.

One of my pet peeves is people that have permission to hunt ground acting like they own it. Just because the landowner gave you permission to hunt, doesn't mean you can run everyone else off or call the law. As a landowner, I can guarantee you that involving the landowner in will more than likely mean you won't hunt it again.

It is a fine line. That's why I have the 3 other names on a list who have permission to hunt there. Anyone else gets asked to leave. His old neighbor tried to run me off , by threatening calling the law, because they leased his land for pasture. I was calm and told her that I was not trespassing and the landowner told me that you have not paid him a dime for anything. They got very pissed and drove up to the land owners house at 7 in the morning as I watched from a distance. I thought great, I opened a can a worms now. After I was done hunting , I went and knocked on the land owners door to apologize and hope I didn't open a can of worms. He asked me what I said to them, so I told him. He said, "well they came over and gave me 1000 bucks for the lease and I told them you can still hunt any of my ground." I still catch people from time to time on trail cams that come in from up river. Problem is their faces are covered with warm clothes. I have been able to hunt there for almost 25 years now. Not as much as I used to. But I always remember to say thanks for sharing your beautiful property with me when we run into one another. We go out and spray thistle and get rid of some dog towns and clean up his property when we find unwanted trash. I know he doesn't like to deal with trespassers very much,so if I can help him and do it in a respectable manner and not act like an ass, like his neighbor was trying to do, it will help us both out.

I agree which is weird for me to agree with you fsent:D But even though I have tons of private to hunt I always still ask everytime I wanna go hunting just treat them like you would want to be treated but to be honest if I had land I would appreciate hundred dollar bills thrown at me when a hunter would come up lol

I agree which is weird for me to agree with you fsent:D But even though I have tons of private to hunt I always still ask everytime I wanna go hunting just treat them like you would want to be treated but to be honest if I had land I would appreciate hundred dollar bills thrown at me when a hunter would come up lol

One of the reasons a lot of landowners don't lease their ground is because they don't want to give sole access to one person or one group. If I was only going to let one person hunt, I might as well take the money.

I have a neighbor who has always let anyone that ask hunt. This year two hunters that both had permission got into it with each other about who had the right to be hunting there. They went crying to the landowner and got him involved. Guess what? The landowner shut down all access to his ground. He couldn't believe two adults could be behaving like kids like these guys were. He is considering leasing it to deer hunters next year now.

Back