how cold is to cold

I think it all depends on how much cold you can stand. My buddy from Colorado is coming in tonight so we will be out tomorrow with our two Britts. High temp tomorrow of 8 with wind chill around a -28. Not the best hunting weather but we'll make do. Keep moving, keep the walks on the short side and bundle up. Oh, and by the way, we are both 68 years old. :)

Its not so much the temp when you're hunting. Its after the hunt that you need to take care of him. Keep him warm, dry, out of the wind, etc

Are you concerned about yourself, the dog, or both?

Both I guess lol this will sound weird but my dog is a vizsla and does not have thick fur so I use a neoprene orange vest on the dog and because the vest was rubbing her arm pits really bad I went to a goodwill and brought a under amour shirt for her that stops the vest from rubbing. So she is warm and I am arm expect for my hands.

Pretty rare for it to get to cold during pheasant season in southern Wi in my opinion. Even on the below zero days my dogs are trying to cool off and panting.

I find that I stay warm with a couple good layers, a hat and a hood, gloves, and my normal uninsured hikers with good socks as long as I keep moving.

The dog will be fine out running around. Make sure what you were will keep out the wind and if possible move the sweat away from you. If I didn't have to work I'd be hunting today.

I shot a couple last weekend in ND it was -12, early in the morning. As long as the wind isn't blowing. it isn't bad.

I agree, its never been to cold to hunt. To much snow...YES!

It was real nice out there today, and there was birds all over. Nice to get out with another Uph member and kill our limit on a nice and easy hunt. 2 wild and 1 stocked and 1 that could have went either way judging by the beaks.

Last edited:
Didn't see much got one heading out Friday in the morning too.

Picked up a bird which is always a good thing and you helped condition the dog for hunting in cooler temps.

I wiffed on a double today. Didn't get either bird. I think that's a first for me. I usually get at least one.

Back